Christianity and gay marriage (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Christianity and gay marriage (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which of these best describes you?
I am Catholic and oppose legal gay marriage

I am Catholic and support legal gay marriage

I am Orthodox Christian and oppose legal gay marriage

I am Orthodox Christian and support legal gay marriage

I am protestant Christian and oppose legal gay marriage

I am protestant Christian and support legal gay marriage

I am of another Christian sect and oppose legal gay marriage

I am of another Christian sect and support legal gay marriage

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 63

Author Topic: Christianity and gay marriage  (Read 5331 times)
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« on: December 20, 2013, 04:04:19 PM »

Vote in the poll and feel free to tell about exactly what your viewpoint is on this. Secular and other religions weigh in as well.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 04:09:48 PM »
« Edited: December 22, 2013, 04:11:47 PM by Illini142 »

I'll share my own thoughts on this as well.

I am also a practicing Catholic that fully supports marriage equality. The Bible does have a few verses that appear to condemn homosexuality, but as mentioned above, there are many verses in the Bible that the Church has recognized as a product of the times rather than actual holy doctrine, such as the stoning of adulterers. The words of the Bible and of the Catholic doctrine are very fulfilling for me compared to the structure and messaging of conservative protestant sects. Things such as believing that non-Catholics can get into heaven and believing in social justice and believing in unrestricted forgiveness are things that inspire me and make me happy to be a Catholic.

Opposition to same-sex marriage does not, to me, fit the themes and messages that exist in the Doctrine. I well-understand the rationale behind it, but I am very content being both a practicing Catholic and supporting same-sex marriage, as do so many Catholics that I know. Southern protestant sects are, to me, so much more dogmatic and intimidating than the Catholic Church and so I feel as though opposition to marriage equality better fits their message than the message of the Church that calls on you to do more compassionate things rather than live in fear.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 01:47:05 AM »

Protestant against gay marriage.

There are those who think I fear or hate  LGBT people. That is not the case. The Bible does specifically mention homosexuality among a list of things that would keep one out of Heaven unless one came to faith in Christ and broke with their past actions that fall short of God's standards. I do know gay folk and some have been kinder to me than some "Christians". Needless I'd be negligent in following the command to love my neighbor if I didn't tell them compassionately to change their course of action and come to faith in Jesus. Phil from Duck Dynasty has expressed my personal view in a manner better than I have.

Do you take an absolutist view on the Bible then? Do you believe that adulterers should be put to death? That certain clothing blends are abominations? As Christians, we must be cautious about absolutism in the Bible.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 01:48:00 AM »

I hope the good Christians who oppose homosexuality based on the Bible also support slavery.

Gotta be consistent.

to be fair most Christians who cite the Bible as a justification for opposition to homosexuality do so based on the Pauline letters and not based on the Law of Moses, which expired (or "was fulfilled") when Christ was crucified (and contains all sorts of things patently absurd to our contemporary sensibilities).  the NT is much more nuanced on the issue of slavery on the occasions when it comes up at all.

Hmm...I disagree. They most often use Leviticus because it is most blunt about the subject. They don't realize that the same code outlaws certain blends of clothing, outlaws shellfish, and says other stuff that we find unapplicable, which is because it is an old Jewish code of law and not intended to be used as our law.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies