What’s a more detrimental commentary in American Studies? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 12:48:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What’s a more detrimental commentary in American Studies? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: We are so obsessed with CRT that we forget it’s not the only controversial thing that is studied in taught in developing America’s tradition.
Critical Race Theory

Lost Cause Perspective

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 44

Author Topic: What’s a more detrimental commentary in American Studies?  (Read 783 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: June 27, 2021, 07:48:23 AM »

Which is “worse”?

And don’t say Lost Cause is a Nothingburger. I had a classmate in law school tell me on Election Night that The Civil War was simply a war of industrialization and economics and had absolutely nothing to do with politics, individual rights, or constitutional powers. He “mansplained” it to me because he said he was a history major from Oregon State and I only had 4 or 5 History classes from the Wyoming. It was incredibly stupid when someone intervened to break up the argument.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2021, 01:15:43 PM »

Both should be banned from being taught in public schools

Assuming the summary below is accurate, what is so horrible to exposing students to the CRT construct? Heck, at least some of it comports with what may well be reality imo. The whole thing seems to have become a political football, and I am suspect not many really out there on the fruited plain even know what it means, assuming it has some cohesive meaning.

Yeah, those who criticize the theory on intellectual grounds, should have their day in the classroom too of course.

https://www.britannica.com/topic/critical-race-theory

We should teach it to kids the same way we teach the "stabbed in the back" myth as a cause behind the rise of Hitler.  As a fraudulent, ahistorical myth that bad-faith actors used to whitewash their nefarious agendas.

People need to know what these myths are so they can recognize them. Anti-anti-racists like Ben Shapiro and active racists alike have nothing to lose by not restricting intellectual freedom and free speech accordingly.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies