Is Roko's Basilisk actually a serious and realistic concern? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 06:54:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Is Roko's Basilisk actually a serious and realistic concern? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is Roko's Basilisk actually a serious and realistic concern?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 12

Author Topic: Is Roko's Basilisk actually a serious and realistic concern?  (Read 2167 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« on: March 07, 2016, 01:56:32 AM »

I did actually have a hard time sleeping for a few days after learning about I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, so I won't judge anyone for being concerned by that.

That said... no. Not only is it probably technologically impossible and philosophically doubtful whether that could ever happen, but the rationality for the AI doing that makes absolutely no sense and borders on circular logic.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 03:24:19 PM »

On this note, I recommend this book below to everyone:

A Science Fiction story in which technology creates the Hindu gods.

Looked it up, it sounds fascinating.

It's hilarious on so many levels that a group of people who think themselves too smart to believe in God or hell are terrified of this thing, which is just Evangelical Christianity with belief in AI research replacing belief in Jesus Christ.

I find it very interesting in some way. Goes to show that the notion of deity is so universal that it can emerge even on the basis of an ostensibly hyper-rationalistic framework (although, again, I still don't see how the rationality of this makes any friggin' sense, but anyway).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies