Should Omar Mateen have been legally allowed to buy a gun on June 10, 2016? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 01:31:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Should Omar Mateen have been legally allowed to buy a gun on June 10, 2016? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should Omar Mateen have been legally allowed to buy a gun on June 10, 2016?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 80

Author Topic: Should Omar Mateen have been legally allowed to buy a gun on June 10, 2016?  (Read 2351 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« on: June 13, 2016, 09:01:04 AM »

Even if we take a very liberal interpretation of the 2nd Amendment, I honestly fail to see it prohibiting the government from instituting certain restrictions. I mean come on, is that supposed to give me a right to own a freaking howitzer? That's an "arm" after all Roll Eyes

Maybe I'm naive, but I was always under an impression that freedom is limited by freedom and safety of other people. And advocated of no gun control whatsoever hardly cares about the safety of population in general.

Guns as means of self-defense? Please. Let's dispel with this fiction that if everybody may own and carry a gun, society becomes safer. If it was true, the United States would be the safest place on earth and, well, it's not a case. Maybe instead of gun fetish running wild you should take a look at other steps to ensure public safety?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 03:31:01 PM »

I think the problem goes deeper than whether he was on a watch list or not. I'm rather sceptical toward accuracy of such watch list, since Ted Kennedy himself was accidentally put on a no-fly list. A harmless individual can end up there, while a dangerous extremist is "clear".

What I find most troubling is that he (anybody) was legally allowed to buy a freaking machine gun. It's not a hunting weapon or a simple gun.

Also, I don't know Florida gun laws, but there really should be thorough backround check. I know it's costly and time consuming, but public security is not cheap.

Btw, I live in a country with rather restrictive gun laws. To get a simple hunting rifle you need to undergo an extensive check and you must follow strict rules about keeping it in a safe place. And, needles to say, any gun-related violence here is rare.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 04:43:10 PM »

After doing some research, in addition to what I've read in this thread, I'm astonished how dysfunctional backround check as performed now are.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 05:37:20 PM »

Since that would be very out of character for an American Christian, I would certainly be surprised.  

Indeed, American Christians would much prefer to shoot up a Planned Parenthood than a gay nightclub.

In some circles this specimen of a domestic terrorist is considered a "hero".
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 06:08:44 PM »

Since that would be very out of character for an American Christian, I would certainly be surprised.  

Indeed, American Christians would much prefer to shoot up a Planned Parenthood than a gay nightclub.

The numbers of Americans killed by Christian terrorism vs Islamic terrorism is a bunny hill vs Mt Everest.  What a strawman.

Actually, the numbers of Americans killed by domestic terrorism is greater than any foreign terrorism. But, of course, everybody fixates about those bad Muslims.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 06:28:03 PM »

The numbers of Americans killed by Christian terrorism vs Islamic terrorism is a bunny hill vs Mt Everest.  What a strawman.

Actually, the numbers of Americans killed by domestic terrorism is greater than any foreign terrorism. But, of course, everybody fixates about those bad Muslims.
Of course, this attack in Orlando wasn't foreign terrorism. 

Yet certain people are tying this to "foreign terrorism".
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 06:34:39 PM »

Many acts that are perfectly fitting the description of "domestic terrorism" are either overlooked, but described as simple murders/shootings.

If the Columbine shooting (any of recent school shootings) was being perpetrated by a Muslim, media would instantly call it a terrorist act, rather than "just" a "school shooting".
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies