Blood, Sweat, and Gore Gameplay Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 12:52:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Blood, Sweat, and Gore Gameplay Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: How many primary debates should there be?

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 14

Author Topic: Blood, Sweat, and Gore Gameplay Thread  (Read 18098 times)
Brother Jonathan

« on: June 01, 2020, 01:34:09 PM »

McCain for President 2008, Schedule: Feb 2nd to March 31st

—Country First—

Feb 2, 2007- Senator McCain meets with staff to inform them that he has decided to go forward with his Presidential campaign

Feb 3- Senator McCain’s staff begins renting office space in Iowa, New Hampshire, Nevada, South Carolina, and Florida.

Feb 4- Senator McCain appears on “Meet the Press” to discuss foreign policy, in particular his disagreements with former nominee Dick Cheney.

Look, Tim, I respect Mr. Cheney immensely, but I disagreed with his approach to dealing with the growing threat of radical Jihadist terrorism. I said during the 2004 campaign, and maintain to this day that we need to deprive al-Qaeda of its safe haven in Afghanistan, but we have to do it while working with our allies, by building a coalition of nations including those in the Islamic world who share our concerns about the danger posed by terrorism. Unilateral action is by no means always a bad idea, but we can and should act with our allies on this front. This is key to restoring American leadership in the world.”

Feb 5- Senator McCain meets with top level staff to discuss his announcement speech and early campaign plans.  

Feb 6-8- Senatorial duties and calling activists in early primary states. Fly to Phoenix for campaign campaign launch.

Feb 9- Senator McCain Launches his Presidential Campaign in Phoenix, Arizona

Senator John McCain Announces Presidential Campaign

Phoenix, Arizona

Friends and my fellow Americans, I thank you all for joining me today on this journey. After consulting closely with my family and friends, I am proud today to announce my candidacy to be the next President of the United States.

What this country needs now is leadership. After fifteen years of the same tired leadership, the same ideas and the same talking points, this country needs straight talk, honest answers, and real leadership. I’ve been across this country, and wherever I go I hear the same call from Americans of all walks of life; this country wants, and more than that it deserves and needs a President willing and ready to step up and face the challenges we as a country face. There is no limit to what we can achieve when we harness the energy and spirit of the American people. I know, and the people of America know, that with the right leadership this country will not only overcome her greatest challenges, but can reach for a brighter future for all her citizens.

Friends, our political system is broken. Fifteen years of obfuscation, spin, double talk, back room wheeler dealing, and out of control pork barrel spending have seriously damaged Washington’s ability to get anything done for the American people. President Clinton promised that the “era of big government was over”, and yet today under President Gore we have more red tape, more pork barrel spending, and more waste than when the Democrats took office. President Gore promised to keep us safe, but al-Qaeda remains ever committed in its efforts, aided by its Taliban protectors, to attack our country and to kill innocent civilians. Presidents Clinton and Gore promised to work to reduce global stockpile of nuclear weapons, yet today in Iraq and Iran we have regimes, dangerous, radical, anti-American and authoritarian regimes, working to develop not only nuclear, but likely biological and chemical weapons, ignoring UN Resolutions and US sanctions. President Gore promised us a recovery and a more equal America, but today we see record inequality and sluggish job growth. We were promised  “a new day” for the middle class, and instead they have been left behind.

The problems of the past and present do not determine our country’s future, what we do in the next few years will. I ask all of you today to join me in my campaign to provide America with the leadership it will need to proudly and confidently face the future, with all its challenges and promise. I know that with the right leadership we can create the jobs of the future, face the growing threat of authoritarianism abroad, and make Washington work for the American people again. We can, working together, ensure that every American lives to their fullest potential. As your President, I will work tirelessly to restore our American dream, revitalizes our nations economy, and protect our country from the growing threats it faces. I will, as President, restore that offices prestige at home, and restore the faith of the entire world in American leadership.

I am running for President not for glory or honor of that office, but rather to work for the American people. Throughout my career I have always sought to put my country first, and I shall take that creed to the White House. I spent 23 years serving this country in the United States Navy, six of those years as a prisoner of war in North Vietnam. Like hundreds of thousands of young men, I watched our nation change over those years. When I graduated from Annapolis in 1958, we were a segregated nation, soon to be bitterly divided on issues of all kinds. While I was flying off Aircraft carriers in the Mediterranean, a young President was shot in Dallas, shaking the moral core of our nation. When I was taken prisoner, our nation was growing ever more divided, as protests against the war, against our government, grew. In what may be one of the greatest regrets of my life, I sat in a dark prison cell in North Vietnam when this nation landed the first man on the moon. Shortly after I cam home, a President resigned and fractured our nation's trust in government. By the time I left the Navy, however, Ronald Reagan was President, and we as a country began to mend, began to rediscover our faith in the institutions of government and the promise of America. I became a Republican, and sought to continue my service to this nation in Congress, because I firmly felt that President Reagan was right, and like him whenever I look out at America, whatever our present troubles, I see a boundless and limitless future.

What we need now is to rediscover that faith and that promise once again. As President I will work to pass a middle class and small business tax cut to revitalize main street America. I will end pork barrel spending and cut the ever growing waste that is bloating departmental budgets. As the people of Arizona will tell you, I have worked tirelessly towards these aims in the Senate. I have led the fight for campaign finance reform, worked to make our government more transparent, and have fought to ensure that our nation's military is ready to defend us and serve the world when needed.

I am more than pleased to be here today, in sunny Phoenix, as I announce my candidacy for the Presidency of the United States. The people of Arizona, more than anyone else, know my character and my commitment to the values that have made this nation great. I thank you all for your support over these many years, and ask you once again to support me as I seek this nation's highest office.

Thank you all, and God Bless the United States of America!

After his announcement, Senator McCain mixed with the crowd in Phoenix, taking pictures and signing books, before departing for a flight to Manchester, New Hampshire where he met with campaign staff there and discussed strategy.  

Feb 10- Senator McCain launches his New Hampshire campaign in Portsmouth with Senator John Sununu, who is co-chair of the New Hampshire campaign.

Feb 11- Senator McCain attended services, along with several state legislators, at St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Concord, NH. Afterwards, the Senator ate brunch and fielded questions from a bipartisan group of state legislators.

Feb 12- Q & A at Saint Anselm College on campaign finance reform

Feb 13- Rally in Manchester NH

Feb 14- Breakfast at the Red Arrow Diner in Manchester, town hall at Manchester Central High School. Dinner with Cindy McCain.

Feb 15- Town hall in Bedford, NH. Open new field office in Manchester, fly to Iowa.

Feb 16- Meet with local activists over dinner in Des Moines, Iowa.

Feb 17- Speak at opening of field office in Des Moines. Town Hall later that night

Feb 18- Attend services at Heartland Baptist Church in Sioux Falls Iowa. Cindy McCain addressed the congregation about her faith.

Feb 19- Fundraising in Des Moines, more meetings with local activists.

Feb 20- Fly back to Washington DC for a fundraiser and meeting with staff.

Feb 21-23- Senatorial duties and fundraising in Washington DC and surrounding areas.

Feb 23- Fly to Florida. Fundraiser in Tampa.

Feb 24- Rally and speech in Tampa Florida

"This country is fed up with business as usual. This country wants change, it needs a new direction. sixteen years of President Clinton and President Gore have destroyed America's creditability on the world stage, left our military unprepared, our taxes higher and our tax system less effective, and our nation's schools and economy uncompetitive. We have to get this country back on track. America needs another "Reagan Revolution"! I was there the first time, and I know what it takes to get our country moving in the right direction! Let's do this Florida!"  

Feb 25- Rally in Tallahassee Florida, fundraising dinner that night.  

Feb 26- Rally in Jacksonville Florida.

Feb 27- Drive to Miami for large rally.

Feb 28- Flight back to DC. Calls with campaign officials at CPAC about maximizing straw poll votes.

March 1st- Fundraiser and Party for Republican activists and strategists at Ritz-Carlton Washington DC

March 2nd- Meet with gun rights activists

March 3rd- Speaks to CPAC 2007, stresses "Maverick" credentials

"Look friends, it would be easy to stand up hear and take every pledge in the book, to repeat the same tired talking points, but you're not going to get that from me, now or as President. I'm here to give you solutions, and tell it like it is. In Congress, I've fought tirelessly for the conservative agenda. I helped pass President Reagan's 1987 tax reform, which simplified the tax code, cut the taxes of hard working Americans, and helped grow our economy. I fought hard for, and helped passed, welfare reform in 1996. I have always fought against the attempts by President Clinton and President Gore to raise taxes on the American people, to infringe on our rights, to cut our military's budget, and squander our surplus. As President, I will bring the convictions of President Reagan to the White House once again. I will cut taxes for American families, I will rebuild our military, and once again make our economy the envy of the world"

March 4- Meet with campaign staff to discuss online and digital campaigning. Calls with supporters and conservatives activists.

March 5- Fly to Nevada.

March 6- Rally in Las Vegas

March 7- Speak to local VFW chapters in Las Vegas, meet and greet with Veterans

March 8- Several town halls in Las Vegas

March 9- Speech to local business leaders in Las Vegas

"We need new economic leadership in this country. As President, I am going to cut taxes on small businesses and the middle class. That's how we are going to revitalize main streets across this country."

March 10- Rally in Reno, and fundraiser with local Republican donors.

March 11- Flight to Phoenix, Arizona.

March 12-14- resting with family in Arizona. Meet with staff.

Mar 15- Fly to Michigan.

Mar 16- Rally in Detroit

Mar 17- Speech to local business leaders in Detroit, focus on renewing America's heartland

Mar 18-  Town hall in Detroit, and speech to local Republican activists

Mar 19- Speech and fundraiser in Ann Arbor

Mar 20- Fundraiser in Lansing, flight to New York City

Mar 21-22- Rest with family in New York City.

Mar 23- Fundraising dinner in New York City

Mar 24- Fly back to Washington DC, rest.

Mar 25- rest with family, and discuss strategy with staff

Mar 26- Release "Tax Relief for the Middle Class and Main Street" Tax Plan.

McCain Tax Plan: Key Points for the Press:

• Focus cuts on the middle and working class, who have suffered after years of Democratic tax and spend policies
  • Introduce a sweeping small business tax credit to rebuild America's small businesses
  • Create an innovation tax credit to create the jobs of the future
  • Continue President Reagan's tax legacy: close loopholes, simplify the tax code, and cut taxes on American companies to make the American economy the envy of the world
  • Create a tax code that empowers main street and small businesses, not Washington bureaucrats

Mar 27-31- Senatorial duties, and a series of television and radio interviews further explaining and defending the tax plan

Brother Jonathan

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 02:04:55 PM »
« Edited: June 02, 2020, 06:19:39 PM by Brother Jonathan »

McCain Campaign Releases First Ad
"Country First, Always"

T toes / CC BY (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)

"Senator John McCain has always put his country first..."

"Whether it was during his 23 years in the United States Navy..."

"Or his time in Congress, working with President Reagan to cut taxes for American families and rebuild our military, fighting for his principles..."

McCainWithSquadron
US Navy / Public domain

"Senator McCain stood up and fought for what he believed in."

McCain speaks to National Guard
Staff Sgt. Jim Greenhill / Public domain

"Now, Senator McCain wants to bring those same values, his commitment to service, his convictions, and his sense of duty, to the White House."

West Point, Indiana street
Huw Williams (Huwmanbeing) / Public domain

"He's fighting for a tax system that puts the middle class and main street first..."

WiscANG-F16-Madison-Skyline
Master Sgt. Paul Gorman / Public domain

"For a military and a foreign policy that will keep America safe, and a force for freedom and security in the world..."

"And for a government that works for all Americans."

"And, as he always has, he will put his country first."

"I'm Senator John McCain, and I approve this message"

Ad to run in Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina, Florida, Michigan, and Nevada.
Brother Jonathan

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2020, 12:56:42 PM »

Senator John Sununu Stumps for Senator John McCain

John E. Sununu
Unknown author / Public domain

Senator John Sununu will be speaking at events across New Hampshire in support of Senator McCain's Presidential campaign. He will also be meeting with local Republican officials and activists to discuss Senator McCain's policy and priorities.

We talk a lot about courage in politics, about bravery. Of all the many people I have met in Washington, from senior Senators to freshman Representatives, none have shown more courage in their careers than Senator John McCain. He served this country for 23 years as a pilot in the United States Navy, rising to become a Captain. In service to his country, he volunteered for combat assignment in a Vietnam, where he was shot down and held as a prisoner for six years, subjected to torture the scars of which still mark him to this day. As the son of an Admiral, John was offered release in hopes of currying diplomatic favor with the United States, but he flatly refused. Rather than take the easy way out, Senator McCain insisted that those who ha been their longer than him be released first. When he was finally released in 1973, John continued to serve his country for another six years. Less than a year out of a North Vietnamese prison, John took his flight physical and returned to active duty, becoming an executive officer and later the commanding officer of the Navy's largest aviation squad. In his 23 years of military service, Senator McCain earned a Silver Star, three Bronze Stars, and two Legions of Merit.

Senator McCain's service extended into politics very shortly after his return from Vietnam. In 1976, he volunteered for Ronald Reagan's long shot primary campaign, lending his support to the then fledging conservatives movement. Not long after, he became a Navy liaison to the Senate, and he truly discovered how he could serve his country in politics. Since he has entered Congress, Senator McCain has fought tirelessly for his principles, no matter what the party leadership has told him. He's taken on wasteful spending, back room dealing, and pork barrel spending, the sort of political horse trading that has shaken the faith of Americans in our governing institutions. Senator McCain never wavers in his commitment to his principles and his country. And I'll tell you he never backs down from a fight. Trust me, I've been on the receiving end, and it's not pretty.

I am proud to back Senator McCain in this campaign, and am as proud to stand behind him as I am to serve with him in the Senate. I know what type of man he is, and can safely Senator McCain is a man of character. Senator McCain is a patriot, and his record of service is a testament to his love of his country. Above all, however, Senator McCain is a leader, and in these times we need strong, independent minded leaders like Senator McCain who can break through the partisan gridlock and petty bickering in Washington and get things done for the American people.

We need to restore faith in government, as Senator McCain has often said, but the values that have guided us thus far are just as powerful and essential as ever. Senator McCain embodies patriotism, exemplifies leadership, and personifies character in a way only the true greats of Senate history can rival. For many, the chamber is a device that keeps you grounded, serves as your conscience, brimming as it is with the weight of history. It's weight is immense. But men like Senator McCain shape the Senate, and shape our nation. It is men like Senator McCain, who have that rare combination of courage, conviction, and selflessness, who are best suited to lead in times of hardship and in peace. He take's his motto, Country First, to heart. It is not just a slogan for Senator McCain, it is a way of life. That's the sort of attitude that we need in the White House, now more than ever.

I am proud to call Senator McCain a colleague, for he is truly a tribute to the Senate, but more than that, I am proud to call Senator McCain a friend. And I am proud to endorse Senator John McCain, and I ask all of you to work with me to make the great Senator John McCain the next President of the United States! 

Brother Jonathan

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 10:57:00 PM »
« Edited: June 02, 2020, 11:12:42 PM by Brother Jonathan »

McCain for President, April 2007 Campaign Schedule
All Aboard the Straight Talk Express

April 1st to 16th: New Hampshire

April 1- Fly to Manchester, New Hampshire
April 2- Launch "Straight Talk Express" New Hampshire Tour with Town Hall in Manchester
April 3- Town hall in Goffstown, fundraiser in Bedford
April 4- Town hall in Dunbarton, speech at dinner for local business leaders
April 5- Sit down interview with editors of the Concord Monitor, town hall in Concord
April 6- Town hall in Loudon, large rally at New Hampshire Motor Speedway
New Hampshire, I've said it once I'll say it a thousand times, I love this state. Your independent spirit, your love of liberty, and your refusal to be defined but what others think you should be. You're stubborn and heck you're proud of it. No wonder I feel I am among friends whenever I'm here!
April 7- Meet voters in Concord, rally at the State House
April 8- Rest and meet with staff in Concord
April 9- Town hall in Webster
April 10- Town hall in Franklin
April 11- Rally with Senator Sununu in New London
April 12- Town hall in Lyme
April 13- Town in Littleton
April 14- Town halls in Franconia, Carroll, and Jackson
April 15- Meet with voters in Dixville Notch, field question, take photos, and sign autographs
You know, I don't envy you folks. Every year, national media and candidates swarm and disrupt this lovely town. And I'll be frank, the rhetoric this year is just abysmal. Candidates on the both sides of the aisle throwing insults, a year before anyone even votes. I'm always for reaching across the aisle, but not just to shake the other guy by the lapels to score some cheap political points. I don't agree with a lot of what my fellow candidates are saying, some I agree with more than others some less so, but I have respect for every single one of them.
April 16- Return to Manchester, fly to Charleston

April 17th to 28th: South Carolina

April 17- Launch "Straight Talk in the South" bus tour, rally in Charleston
April 18- Town hall in Wando
April 19- Town hall in Whitesville
April 20- Speech at Orangeburg VFW dinner, with Q&A session afterward
April 21- Town halls in Cameron, Lone Star, Sandy Run, and a rally in Columbia
Friends, I've seen a lot in politics. A lot of mud slinging, scandal mongering, attack ads and rebuttals. That's not what get things done for the American people. Look, I respect ever single person who has the courage to put themselves out there and conduct a campaign for the highest office in the land. I'm running to talk about problems and policies, not party politics. I want to cut taxes, not a new attack ad every week. I want to talk about solutions, not road test another cheap soundbite. We've had enough of that over the last 16 years. It's time we had a President who will roll up their sleeves and get to work for the American people, and you can trust I'll do that.
April 22- Meeting with South Carolina staff
April 23- Meet with local Republican activist in Columbia, town hall later that night
April 24- Fundraiser in Columbia, meetings with state Republican officials
April 25- Town hall in Whitmire
April 26- Town hall in Woodruff
April 27- Two town halls in Grenville, town hall and rally in Spartanburg
You know friends, I have to leave tomorrow, but I'll tell you I have loved my visit to the great state of South Carolina, and I'll be back. Everywhere I go, I hear the same calls, for change and for leadership, and in those calls you remind me every single day why I am running. We need real leadership to move past 16 years of Democratic rule, of partisan bickering, gridlock, waste, and back room dealing. Friends, that's why I am running for President, and I ask you to join me in this campaign.  
April 28- Fly back to Washington DC, rest and meet with staff

April 29- Appearance on Meet the Press to discuss foreign policy
Look, Tim, I can't stress how large the threat posed by Vladimir Putin is. This is a man who loves the Soviet Union and everything it meant for Russia. He's expansionist, aggressive, and he's intelligent. This is a man who came from the upper echelon of the KGB, who never gave up on his vision of a Russia dominated Eastern Europe. He's committed to his authoritarian vision of the world, and he represents a serious threat to our nation and our nation's interests around the world. We need to create a League of Democracies to take on want to be dictators like Putin, and make sure they can't obstruct efforts to reign them in by hiding behind a zeal for the broadest most baseless possible definition of multilateralism. These people don't give a hoot about that, they only care about three things Tim; getting power, holding power, and expanding their power. And they must be held in check by democracies united for freedom and liberty.
April 30- Meet with staff and attend to Senatorial duties

McCain for President: Key Themes for April
  • The McCain Tax Plan: Senator McCain's plan put's the middle class and main street first, cutting taxes on small business and the middle class to fuel America's economy, and once again make it the envy of the world, and create innovation tax credits to help create the economy of the future
  • Senator McCain's Credentials: Senator McCain has the experience to fulfill his campaign promises. His time in the Senate has taught him what it takes to get things done in Washington, and he's ready to use his experience to make Washington work for all Americans
  • Senator McCain's Accomplishments: Senator McCain has been at the forefront of bipartisan campaign finance reform efforts, helped President Reagan pass the 1987 Tax Reform Act, and has fought to defend his legacy from the attacks of the Clinton and Gore administrations
  • Senator McCain's Service: Senator McCain had a distinguished 23 year career in the United State Navy, serving his country valiantly in both times of war and peace. Now, as always, he will put his country first and fight for his principles, and to get things done for the American people
Brother Jonathan

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 03:31:50 AM »

Senator McCain talks Energy, Social, and Foreign Policy on Face the Nation

Bob Schieffer 13833-083
LBJ Library / Public domain

Senator McCain engaged in a wide ranging interview with Bob Schieffer on CBS’s Face the Nation, discussing his foreign, energy, and social policy, as well as his recently released tax plan.

When discussing foreign policy, Senator McCain explained clearly his vision for American leadership, drawing a sharp contrast with the current Administration. “President Gore has failed to create the global coalition we need to fight the growing threat of terrorism and rouge states. We need to work with our allies around the world, including and especially in the Islamic world, to combat the continuing threat posed by al-Qaeda. President Gore has failed to take the necessary steps. Today, al-Qaeda continues to be protected by the Taliban regime in Afghanistan. We need to build a global coalition to take on al-Qaeda, to take on their Taliban protectors, and create at the very least a stringent sanctions regime to force them to the table. No options can be off the table. We need to take on al-Qaeda, and we can only do that when we have proven leadership in the White House. I hope it doesn’t come to it, but we can’t hesitate to act with our global allies to use military options to neutralize the terrorist threat that continues to plague democracies everywhere”. Senator McCain also discussed Iraq and Iran, and their development of weapons of mass destruction. “We can’t allow Iraq or Iran to develop weapons of mass destruction. Step one in cracking down on them is creating an effective international sanctions regime to put pressure on these regimes, forcing them to let inspectors in to ensure that they aren’t in fact developing weapons of mass destruction. Iran and Iraq, though opposed to each other, have both acted as destabilizing forces in a region that is already far too volatile. Iran is funding and supporting Hezbollah and other Shia groups throughout the Islamic world, designed to attack and destabilize Israel, but to create confusion in Sunni countries, radicalizing Shia minorities throughout the Islamic world for their political gain. Look, we have to send a clear message to Iran that this won’t fly. We need to designate Hezbollah, its political as well as its military wing, and other such groups as terrorist organizations and convince our allies around the world to do the same. We need to recognize that Iran is a state sponsor of terrorism, and it needs to stopped, and the only way to do that is to restore American leadership on the world stage. It won’t be easy, but I know that we can do it. As for Iraq, we have a ticking time bomb. The country clearly disdains what perceives as undue ‘western’, as they would put it, influence in their domestic affairs. But we’ve seen what they are capable of. Thousands of Kurds have died at the hands of this brutal regime, because they desire liberty and justice. Nothing threatens thugs like Saddam Hussein and his ilk more than liberty and justice, and we have to stand up to him and take him on when he refuses to allow inspectors in. In the cases of both Iraq and Iran, we will take all needed action, working with our allies, to keep these nation’s from developing weapons of mass destruction. If that includes military action, then so be it, but I hope it doesn’t come to that”.

Senator McCain also answered questions about his energy policy, including responding to recent criticism of his stance on ethanol subsidies. “I think ethanol is great, and I want to see more of it in American gasoline, and I want American ethanol exported around the world, but look, I’m a conservative, I don’t believe that the government gets to pick and choose winners in the American economy, and for that reason I’m not a big subsidies guy. I voted against subsidies for cotton in my home state for the same reason, and when I am President the ethanol subsidies are gone. But I believe in American farmers. By deregulating markets and by fighting for American exports abroad, we can make American ethanol competitive in the global marketplace. We need to deregulate those markets so they can compete. President Gore and his EPA have tied the American energy sector up in red tape, and if we get rid of some of those regulations, I fully believe our energy sector will be able to rise to the challenge. We need more domestic oil production, more clean coal, and more domestic bio-fuels. We also need more energy saving technology, and renewable energy sources. That’s why my tax plan has an innovation tax credit, which among other things will help to create the new energy economy of the future here in the United States. By increasing domestic fuel production through deregulation, and by creating energy saving technologies in this country, we can reduce our dependence on foreign fuel, and we will save billions of dollars in the process."

The discussion then moved onto social issues, particularly Senator McCain's position on same-sex marriage. "I have been very consistent in my position on marriage. I believe that marriage is between a man and a woman, and that's how I've voted. I voted for the Defense of Marriage act in 1996, and I campaigned across the country for state laws that codify in statue the sanctity of marriage. But that being said, last I checked I was a member of the party that in the modern era defended states rights and fought for a smaller federal government, and I believe that marriage is, as it always has been, an issue for the states to deal with. The marriage amendment that was proposed would have federalized yet another power that we as a nation have reserved to states. I don't have a habit of voting for programs that usurp state power, and I should hope most of my conservative friends would join me in defending not only the sanctity of marriage but the rights of the states as well."

Finally. Senator McCain discussed his new tax plan. "This country needs tax relief, especially the middle class and small business. Main street America is hurting, groaning under the weight of our complicated federal tax code and high tax rates. President Gore hasn't only regulated our economy to death, but he has also taxed it into stagnation. We've had a prolonged jobless recovery, and it's time for real solutions to our problems. Middle class and small business tax cuts, as well as deregulation, are the key to getting our economy moving again. We were once the envy of the world, our economy was a global powerhouse. We got there by cutting taxes and deregulating our stifled economy, and I worked with President Reagan to get that done. We can do it again, we have to do it again. The centerpiece of my plan is a promise to increase the minimum taxable income, and cut rates on the working and middle class, while increasing the earned income tax credit. I'm also going to close loopholes that the special interest groups have written into our tax code, and in the process raise revenue. We also need to have an eye on the future, which is why my plan would not only increase the research and development tax credit, but would create a new innovation tax credit to focus on creating new industries and build the economy of the future here in the United States. I have full faith in our nation's ability to rise to the economic challenges of the future, but we need a modern tax code to help get it there. Supporting the middle class, small business, and innovation is the way to do it."

Senator McCain's Energy Policy
Making American Energy Independent

• Energy Independence: America's reliance on foreign oil is a threat to our national security, and Senator McCain is determined to move the United States towards energy independence
  • Promote the Innovation Economy: Repeal President Gore's burdensome regulations, which are stifling the development of America's energy sector. As President, Senator McCain will overhaul the EPA, and get rid of the red tape that has held up America's energy potential
  • Increase Domestic Production: Senator McCain has fought against President Gore's burdensome regulations, which have crippled the once vibrant American energy sector. By getting rid of red tape and burdensome regulation, we can drastically increase domestic production of oil, natural gas, clean coal, and newly developing renewable energy sources
  • Protecting our Environment: Senator McCain is committed to protecting our environment while at the same time increasing domestic energy production. Senator McCain believes American energy production, which is some of the cleanest in the world, can supplant less efficient and less environmental friendly sources of energy production from around the world, and in the process grow our economy, promote our national security, and protect our planet

Brother Jonathan

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 09:00:35 AM »

McCain for President, May 2007 Schedule
—Country First—

May 1st through 20th: New Hampshire

May 1-3- Senatorial duties in Washington DC, then flight to Manchester, NH
May 4- Rally in Nashua NH
Nashua wants leadership. New Hampshire wants leadership. America wants leadership. And that's what you'll get in a McCain administration. It's time to end the double talk and the back room dealing that dominates Washington. It's time to pass bipartisan campaign finance reform. It's time for a President who will lead, and not be led by the opinion polls. Ladies and gentleman, I am running to be that President.
May 5- Town halls in Hollis, Milford, and Merrimack
May 6- Rest in Londonderry
May 7- Speak to local business leaders in Derry, and town hall in Londonderry
May 8- Town hall in Salem, speech at local American Legion
May 9- Town hall in Candia
May 10- Town hall in Hillsborough
May 11- Town hall in Peterborough
May 12- Breakfast at local diner. Town halls in Keene, Walpole, Charlestown, Claremont, and Lebanon
May 13- Town halls in Hanover, Orange, Plymouth, Campton, and Lincoln
May 14- Tour of Diners in Grafton County, meet people on the way to work 
May 15- Town hall in Conway
May 16- Town hall in Ossipee
May 17- Town hall in Wakefield
May 18- Rally in Rochester, focus on tax plan
May 19- Town halls in Dover, Durham (including a separate on at UNH), Portsmouth, and Stratham. Rally in Hampton with Senator Sununu to end the day, and the NH campaign swing

May 20th through 27th: Wyoming

May 20- Fly to Arizona. Rest in Phoenix
May 21- Fly to Wyoming, meet with staff in Casper
May 22- Town hall in Casper on social issues
Q: You have not co-sponsored the Marriage amendment. Do you intend to at least vote for it?

A: You're right, I have not co-sponsored the marriage amendment, I don't intend to, and I won't be voting for it. Look, my friends, this amendment is nothing more than federal intrusion into the rights of that states. It is making a federal issue out of a power we as a nation have always left to the states. I voted against federal recognition of same-sex marriage, and I do firmly believe that marriage is between a man and a woman, but I also believe, as our founders did, them some powers are reserved to the states, and marriage has always been one of them. When we federalize these sorts of issues, we don't solve them. All the marriage amendment will do, if it passes, is make it that much easier down the road for an out of step Supreme Court or a radical Congress to force same-sex marriage across this country. I'm worried about the future of marriage, and that's why the last thing I want is to federalize it, and further erode the rights of the states.
May 23- Meet with local business leaders in Casper and Douglas
May 24- Town hall in Glendo, go hunting with local veterans
May 25- Town hall in Wheatland
May 26- Town halls in Chugwater, and several in and around Cheyenne. Speech in Cheyenne on tax reform
For sixteen years, the only thing that has kept the Democrats in Washington from raising your taxes sky high and passing volumes of new regulations has been the hard work of Republicans in Congress. Sadly, we can only do so much, and the federal government has still over regulated, over taxed, and in general overburdened the American economy. As President, my top domestic priority will be the passage of my tax plan which will cut taxes for the working and middle class, as well as on small businesses, and simplifies our overly complicated federal tax code. I have fought tirelessly in Washington for these sorts of common sense solutions to our economic stagnation, and as President I will make sure we can get it done.
May 27- Flight back to Phoenix

May 28- Meet with staff and discuss internet campaign strategies
May 29- Call in interviews with several major radio programs
May 30- Conference call with donors, conservative activists, and party officials
May 31- Relax at home

McCain for President: Key Themes for May
  • The McCain Tax Plan: The middle class and Main Street need tax relief, and Senator McCain is committed to reforming our tax code to do just that. The American economy can lead the world in growth and innovation, and Senator McCain's tax plan will help unleash this potential.
  • Senator McCain's Foreign Policy: Senator McCain has been a leading critic of the Gore administration's foreign policy, and of his failure to provide the global leadership needed to tackle the challenges of the future. As President, Senator McCain will work to combat threats to the United States wherever and whenever they arise, and will do so with a broad coalition of our global allies.
  • Campaign Finance Reform: Senator McCain has long fought for campaign finance reform, and as President he will work with Republicans and Democrats in Congress to reduce the power of special interests in Washington
  • Fighting Pork Barrel Spending: Senator McCain has been a tireless campaigner against wasteful pork barrel spending in Congress. As President, he will fight waste and reform the budgetary process.
Brother Jonathan

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 07:22:41 PM »

Senator McCain's Republican Town Hall responses:

DSC 0206 (2854419153)
Republican Party of Shelby County / CC BY (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)

Opening Statement

Thank you for having me here tonight. I've been here before, but it's always a real treat I think to be able to speak directly to so many people. I have been across the nation over these last few weeks, and I've done quite a few town halls recently, and I wish more candidates would take time to field questions from voters. It's great that our hosts tonight have decided to broadcast a town hall to such a large audience.

I'm running for President to restore America's leadership. I'm running to ensure that their is leadership in the White House and American leadership in the world. For 16 years we've had administrations that triangulate principles, truncate the facts, and tarnish the truth. I know the American people are sick and tired of double talk, back room dealing, and the new politics as usual. We need to change direction. Our economy isn't working well for middle class Americans, our tax system is broken, and Main Street is feeling the pinch of almost two decades of over regulation and high taxes. I'm running for President because we need a real leader to take on these issues, to cut taxes on American families and small business, who will balance our budget, and protect our values at home and abroad. That's why I am running for President, and I look forward to answering your questions.

Typical political wisdom would say that after 16 years of Democratic control in the White House, that the American people would opt for a Republican candidate. How are you the best candidate to make sure that there is a Republican in the White House for the first time in 16 years?

"That's an excellent question, and I think it's one that speaks to many in our party. We can't seem to win right now, even after years of rule by the Democrats. Why do we face such long odds, even as the Democrats hamstring our economy and force through bill after bill outside of the American mainstream? I think the reason is fairly clear, if unpleasant. American's haven't seen a Republican nominee that was standing up for middle class Americans, who was willing to take on a system in Washington that's not working for Americans of all stripes across this country. George Bush and Dick Cheney are good men, but they weren't prepared to go to bat to take on a broken campaign finance system, to pass meaningful tax reform that focused on the middle and working class, as well as main street. People, when they think of our party and its economic policies, too often think of Wall Street, and not main street. Democrats love that line. I have always gone to bat for the middle class and working class, fighting for tax cuts that put them first. I am not just committed to fixing our broken campaign finance system, but I've helped draft and fight for bipartisan solutions to do just that. I think we have a great field of candidates running this year, but when it comes to fighting for middle class tax cuts and reform in Washington, my record is second to none and I'm proud to stand on it. I'm not offering the American people soundbites, I am offering them solutions. Above all, I am promising leadership, and that's what we need more than anything right now. I think the American people know that, and I think they will remember that come November."

In 2006, Congress repealed Don't Ask, Don't Tell which did not allow gay, bisexual, or transgender people to serve in the military. Do you agree with this action by Congress, and if elected, would you be in favor of repealing the Defense of Marriage Act?

"I voted against repeal of this policy, and I think when you ask our military officials, they will tell you they were against it. Look, my friends, I served 23 years in the United States Navy, and there is no room for sexuality. Period. And that's what our Generals and our Admirals told us, and what retired military officials told us. My good friend Bill Cohen had questions about the policy when he became Secretary of Defense, and he had the policy reviewed in 1999. The review came back, and he kept the policy in place because our military said it was working. Repealing Don't Ask, Don't Tell was a political move, and so I opposed it.

I was also in the Senate during the debates on the Defense of Marriage Act, and I supported that bill. As President, I would seek to uphold it. It's a fine law, one that says clearly that the federal government won't recognize same sex marriage. so in short, no I would not support the repeal of the Defense of Marriage Act."

Some critics of President Gore have said that the Department of Homeland Security isn't needed because there have only been small terror attacks, which aren't worthy of creating a whole new federal government department. Others have said that this didn't go far enough. Where do you stand on the Department of Homeland Security?

"I supported the creation of the DHS, and I think it was a smart move. It has to be remembered that DHS was created to stop attacks, not deal with their aftermath. The fact that we haven't seen a major attack is reason to praise the Department, not abolish it. The DHS has to look at the future of terrorism, seek to be ever vigilant in protecting our nation, and my hat is off to the men and woman in that Department who have done good work in preventing many, many attacks. They are some of the best this country has to offer, and they have done a great job.

The Department of Homeland Security should only be one part of our nation's response to terrorism and the growing threat it poses. Sadly, President Gore has failed to act to build the international diplomatic and military alliances needed to put pressure on regimes around the world that are supporting and promoting terrorism. The President's failure on this front is frankly unacceptable. We need to act now to create an international coalition dedicated to fighting the growing threat of terrorism, and to take on the state sponsors of these heinous acts."

Conservative groups are reluctant to support your candidacy because of your streak of voting with Democrats in the Senate on some pieces of legislation. Some have referred to you as a RINO. What will you do as president to make sure that conservatives made the right choice for president, if elected?

"If you want to talk about conservative credentials, I am more than happy to. I worked for then Governor Reagan's 1976 Presidential campaign in the Republican primaries when I was stationed in Florida. I worked so hard for the campaign that my commanding officer had to reprimand me. When I was Navy liaison in the Senate, I fought for and got funding for aircraft carriers over the objection of the Carter administration. I fought hard for President Reagan's policies in Congress, and he supported me in my runs for House and later Senate. I helped pass the 1986 Tax Reform Act, the Defense of Marriage Act, and welfare reform. It's true, though, that I don't always vote the party line, like when I ignored the whips and voted against President Bush's tax increases in 1990 or against wasteful pork barrel spending.

As President, I will cut taxes and roll back the excessive over-regulation that has come out of the Clinton and Gore administrations. I will fight to restore America's role as a leader in the world, and I will rebuild our military after years of harsh cut backs by the Clinton and Gore administrations. I think that's an agenda all conservatives, all Americans really, can agree with."
Brother Jonathan

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2020, 01:08:35 PM »

Senator McCain Announces End of Presidential Campaign, Citing Health and Growing Tensions with Iraq

My personal computer just broke, so I won't have the access needed to continue this game. Which is a shame, because I really quite enjoyed it. Hopefully I can try again another time, but for right now I just won't be able to.

Senator McCain's Remarks
Delivered on the Floor of the United States Senate, speaking on the proposed Marriage Amendment

John McCain official portrait 2009
United States Congress / Public domain

Thank you Mr. President. I, like many of my colleagues, enjoy the loving support of a caring spouse. My Cindy has been with me for 28 years now, 28 lovely years. She has been with me through my entire political career, in the House and Senate, making me a better person in the process. And she has stood by me through three Presidential campaigns, which afterday I must be forced to say will have all ended with me short of my desired goal. She has, most importantly, been with me in sickness and in health. I am afraid she shall soon see me in the latter state in the coming months, as I undergo treatment for cancer once again. While my doctors fully expect me to recover in time, I do not feel that it would be right for me now to seek the office of President with the intention of holding that office when I know that I may still be fighting this terrible disease. I therefore will be ending my campaign for the Presidency, and I would like to pause here to thank all those, my staff and the millions around this country who have donated, volunteered, or evenly simply believed in our message, for all they have done for this campaign. I am sure you will all agree that this campaign, if nothing else, was about putting our country first, and with that in mind it would be wrong for me to serve with this aliment hanging over me. I thank you all for your support, you truly are the bedrock of our democracy, and I applaud every single one of the work you have done.

But, Mr. President, the Floor of this august body should not be used as bully pulpit for campaigning, and so I shall turn to the reason I rise to speak today. We are asked to consider an Amendment to our Constitution, the highest law of the land, that would recognize marriage as an institution reserved for the union of one man and one woman. I know I am not alone in this chamber when I say that to me that is the meaning of marriage. A great many members, on both sides of this chamber, believe that to be true, and in this country it is accepted widely by people of many backgrounds that marriage is a sacred institution, reserved to one man an one women. I have, throughout my political career expressed that view, and do to this day. But, Mr. President, I must oppose this Amendment, and I urge my colleges across this chamber to oppose this radical Amendment to the highest law in the land. 

Since the founding of our Republic, their has been a great balancing act at work, as we seek to delineate between the powers of our federal and state governments. Few political questions have been as persistent or so frequently acrimonious in nature as the question of the balance between the rights of the states and the duties of the federal government. But this should come as no surprise; this debate cuts to the heart of who we are as a nation, what sort of government we are to have, the very structure of our politics. Today, we debate an amendment which will upset the precarious balance we have established by ripping from the states a right that has gone uncontested over two centuries; the right to regulate the institution of marriage.

Thomas Jefferson did not want the federal government to regulate marriage. John Adams would have scoffed at the idea. Even the ardent Federalist and advocate for centralization Alexander Hamilton would have balked at an Amendment that so blatantly extended the powers of the federal government into realms of policy that it has no business being involved in. This Amendment, more than anything, is a direct challenge to the doctrines of federalism that we as a nation have long cherished and defended. We have tinkered with that balance in the past, yes, but this proposal would not rebalance or redress; it would radically destroy that balance, and open the floodgates to ever greater federal interference at the state and local levels by a Washington bureaucracy that is ever more intrusive.

I ask my fellow Republicans, how can we call ourselves 'conservatives' if we stand here to support a massive erosion of the same rights that we claim we are so eager to defend? How can we in one breath call for the federal government to get out of our schools and in the next breath demand that it get into our county courthouses and our churches? We ask ourselves 'how is it that we have been kept out of power for sixteen years'? The answer, I think, can at least partly be found in the bare opportunism and hypocrisy of legislation like this. The American people want a Republican party that truly stands for what it believes, rather than try to use the same solutions as our Democratic friends to address different problems. You can dress the wolf up like a sheep, but the American people see through it.

The American people are sick of political Amendments that snatch power from the states being cynically advanced in Congress to grab headlines, to fuel campaigns, and fire up crowds. This isn't leadership, this is partisanship, more than that it is blatant showmanship, and the American people are sick of it. They should be. This Amendment is the creation of concerned Americans, seeking to defend an institution we all hold dear; it is the creation of political strategists trying to juice up campaigns and get free air time on cable news, land interviews on talk shows, and stoke populist fires up and down the country, fires that will, if we are not carefully, consume the very politicans and party that started them. This Amendment is un-Republican, and I implore my friends in the Republican caucus to take a long look at themselves in the mirror before they vote to usurp powers that have, since our nations creation, been reserved to the states. 

Washington is broken. I've said it before, and I say it again now because I think this Amendment represents the sort of ideological bankruptcy that comes with a broken system like ours. Special interests and corporate donors ride roughshod over the will of the people. They get sweet deals, massive no bid contracts, give jobs to former staffers, write bill after bill to grease their own wheels. We have to reform our campaign finance system, we have to end the nonsense that is pork barrel spending, and we have to work for the American people again. We are fueling populist anger, and we can see it in this campaign. Donald Trump, a New York hack businessman I wouldn't trust to run a Seven-Eleven during the graveyard shift, is trying to stoke up anger in this country, and he is finding an audience because we here in Washington haven't taken on the special interests. He's a demagogue of the worst sort, lacking the temperament, intellect, and ability to serve as President, and yet he runs across our nation in a vanity campaign that attracts the disaffected in droves. All because we, as Republicans, have all to often engaged in political games, and because we as representatives of the people of have been all too willing to ignore their concerns about a political system that has been so perverted that it would be unrecognizable to the great men who founded this nation.

Our founders were not really sure if man was good by nature, and so they created a system that didn't require angels to run, but simple required a few good men who could ensure that our government never strayed too far from its designated course. I think that system still works. But it has become ever harder for those people, whose mind is made for service and not self aggrandizement, to wield the powers needed to serve our nation. The challenges the next President will face our immense. As we speak, tensions with Iraq are growing quickly, Russia is growing more aggressive, and our allies around the world are losing faith in our ability to stand up and lead the free world. When we think back to the last time America turned its back on the world, we find nothing but tragedy. A Great Depression and a World War came in the wake of our neglect, and we once again see a rising tide of  abroad and an impulse for isolation and inaction at home from the highest levels of government. We can't allow our nation to slip into the background simply because it is easier than facing the world. It is in dark times like these that the world needs our leadership most, and we cannot afford to ignore that duty.

We must work with out allies to face the threats we face in the world, from fascists of all stripes. From Putin's jack booted thugs in Eastern Europe, to Saddam Hussein and his chemical tools of murder in Iraq, to al-Qaeda and their terror and hate across the world. The road ahead may be ardours, but we are required to walk it if there is to be any hope of a brighter future, of a more peaceful world, what George Bush called "the new world order". We must lead by example at home, by fixing our political system and by standing for what we preach abroad. We must never forget that we are, as Ronald Reagan said, a "shining city on a hill". We must no ignore the tired, poor, and huddled masses of the world who turn their gaze toward us, yearning to be free. We should never begrude immigrants who come here seeking a better life, for they are the very soul of the American experience.

I am still, as ever, proud of my country. For all our ills, we continue to strive for a brighter future. Even in the face of much adversity, I know that the American people will succeed. The indomitable spirit of America is still found throughout this land, it is irrepressible, and it will rise to the challenges that shall face us in the future. I urge all Americans to be involved, to do their part, to be engaged in your community both socially and civilly. Vote, write your Congressman, run for office. Dare to stand up and say what you want to say because no one else will say it for you. In over twenty years of public life, if I have learned anything, it is that only you can truly say what you mean, and you best mean what you say.

Harry S. Truman was famously fond of the saying "The buck stops here", and I think it is a saying all of the candidates running this year would do well to think about. When you are the President, you have the final say. You cannot pass the blame, dodge the questions, or ignore the issues. You have to face the music, and let your record stand. I urge all of the candidates to be frank, honest, civil, and above all true to themselves. Mr. President, as I prepare to depart the chamber for the day, I ask all of my fellow Americans to recall the words of President Truman, and I ask them all to hold us all accountable. The buck stops with us. We need leadership, and I urge all the candidates for President to look within themselves to find that leadership. This country brightest days are ahead of it, this I truly believe, but the future is never set in stone. We need leadership to get their. The next president will need to be guided by his principles, his common sense, and his knowledge. He will need to posses a sense of civic duty and be willing to put in the hard work to complete the thankless tasks that will be required of the next President. Our next President is called to serve, and they shall have to answer that call without hesitation, reservation, or condition.

Above all, the next president must put their country first. I wish all the candidates luck, and hope that they all may rise to the challenges of the future.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies