Congressional Leadership Megathread - McCarthy elected Speaker after 15 ballots, 4 days (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 04:02:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Congressional Leadership Megathread - McCarthy elected Speaker after 15 ballots, 4 days (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Congressional Leadership Megathread - McCarthy elected Speaker after 15 ballots, 4 days  (Read 10917 times)
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« on: November 18, 2022, 07:58:33 PM »

Presently, Gaetz, Biggs, Good, and Rosendale have all expressed varying levels of dissatisfaction with McCarthy. That right there is likely enough to sink him, which they know. We are currently at McCarthy trying to woo these guys back on board stage of negotiations (See Hunter Biden) before they say they would only support Scalise or worse - one of their own.

What we will have to see about is if said bending over backward causes those on the other side of the party to break. Once again, they don't need to be true moderates, just power-hungry non-radicals who want all the committee chairs, speaker seat, and are willing to promise the dems that the ship will remain stable.

Assuming Republicans win CA-22 and CA-13, those four defections would put McCarthy at 218 - which is the bare minimum needed.

Of course, this is assuming that Good/Rosendale/Biggs/Gaetz vote present, or against McCarthy. If they don't vote at all, then the threshold for the speakership is 216, which McCarthy would be above.

Of course if they're demanding concessions, my assumption would be that they're threatening to actually sink him rather than abstain as a protest.

No chance that you get moderate Rs to back Jeffries, but I think Pelosi could convince all the Dems to vote for a "compromise" Speaker. Question becomes, who are the 5 moderate Rs to vote with the Dems? And does Gatez' team cave and pick McCarthy to avoid Speaker Don Bacon/Henry Ceullar/Josh Gottheimer?

Gottheimer and Cuellar are Dems, so I think they’re out. It would almost certainly have to be a Republican unless those voting for a coalition are fine with losing in two years.
But who?
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2022, 08:06:36 PM »

I hate Jeffries

He is super pro-Israel
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2022, 12:38:46 PM »

Congressional leaders have far too much power to determine what gets a floor vote and what doesn't. How many potential bipartisan bills were killed over the years because McConnell, Boenher or Ryan didn't want to upset the majority of their caucus.

Democrats should work with moderate Republicans to elect a moderate compromise speaker. There are a lot of good bills we can pass that might get 5 republicans to vote for. It would be stupid to allow McCarthy to become speaker and veto every single senate pass bill so he doesn't upset MTG and the Freedom Caucus.

Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2022, 06:09:59 PM »

Honestly, I would be surpisred if McCarthy wins on the first ballot because a bunch of Democrats just don't attend. You only need a majority of those present. Pelosi won with 216 votes.

If Democrats were smart, they would all attend and help elect a moderate republican. That would be much better for the country instead of having MTG controlled McCarthy.

But honestly, I've been disgusted with what some Democrats are saying. They are looking forward to the dumpster fire McCarthy's speakership is going to be. How about stop focusing on 2024 and on helping Americans from 2023-2025 ugh.
Pres Mike
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2023, 02:25:13 PM »

If true, someone set up a lettuce and a livestream, because McCarthy will last about as long as Liz Truss.
McCarthy will do anything just to have his Wikipedia page say "Speaker". But that will be the most significant part of his reign, a useless title.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies