Demjanjuk Trial (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 06:05:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Demjanjuk Trial (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Show or Substance
Show

Substance

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 13

Author Topic: Demjanjuk Trial  (Read 2057 times)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« on: July 13, 2009, 01:38:44 PM »

Show. He shouldn't even be tried with anything if he was just a guard.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 11:31:27 PM »

That's like saying low-ranking members of al-Qaeda shouldn't be tried if caught.

POWs shouldn't be "tried" for anything. Just held until the end of hostilities.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 11:59:51 PM »

There may be good reason to send him to prison, but the trial is all about Show. Since WW2, Germany has a complex in which they always need to show how "changed" they are from those days.

Yes, but if he was just a guard why charge him with 29,000 counts? Christ, I hate defending a f'king Nazi but if he was just a soldier, let him be. Should we go around charging all former enemy soldiers of allied nations?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 08:46:06 AM »
« Edited: July 14, 2009, 08:47:46 AM by StatesRights »

That's like saying low-ranking members of al-Qaeda shouldn't be tried if caught.

POWs shouldn't be "tried" for anything. Just held until the end of hostilities.

More proof of your ethical and ideological bankruptcy. What, pray tell, is the material, concrete differences between a captured Nazi and a captured terrorist that justifies material, concrete differences in their treatment?

Did I say I support trials for either? POWs should be held in prisons until the end of hostilities, obviously. Since we are no longer at war with Germany their is absolutely no reason to hold this guy in jail for anything, unless of course you can prove he murdered innocent civilians.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 08:53:02 PM »

There may be good reason to send him to prison, but the trial is all about Show. Since WW2, Germany has a complex in which they always need to show how "changed" they are from those days.

Yes, but if he was just a guard why charge him with 29,000 counts? Christ, I hate defending a f'king Nazi but if he was just a soldier, let him be. Should we go around charging all former enemy soldiers of allied nations?

That is why I agree that he deserves to go to prison, but cannot deny that the trial and everything about it (including the number of counts) is a show.

There is the issue of ex post facto and the idea that it was different times, but at the same time we can't simply accept that you did horrible things and can get off scott free because you're old and will die soon anyway.

Is just being a soldier enough though? I know here on the forum we don't have enough information on what he did but from what I understand he is being charged with 29k counts of accessory to murder. If he was just a guard his involvement wasn't deep enough to have him charged with anything.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies