Kasich: Don't drink alcohol if you don't want to get raped (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 03:24:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Kasich: Don't drink alcohol if you don't want to get raped (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Kasich: Don't drink alcohol if you don't want to get raped  (Read 10932 times)
PeteB
Canada

« on: April 15, 2016, 04:08:24 PM »

This discussion is a perfect illustration of Kasich's lack of issues, suitable for opponent attack. He is so ordinary that even comments like these (which he probably should have rephrased, knowing it will be taken out of context) have to be used and dissected. Heaven only knows how many of these threads we would have if every similar Trump comment was discussed.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 05:02:01 PM »

This discussion is a perfect illustration of Kasich's lack of issues, suitable for opponent attack. He is so ordinary that even comments like these (which he probably should have rephrased, knowing it will be taken out of context) have to be used and dissected. Heaven only knows how many of these threads we would have if every similar Trump comment was discussed.

You astound me.  I can only imagine the mental gymnastics that you must do before you spin everything into a pro-Kasich post.  It must be so exhausting.    

The mental gymnastics is tough...Smiley. But then I think of the alternatives - Trump, Cruz, and it becomes very easy.....

On a more serious note, I already commented about Kasich's foot-in-mouth disease. But that is no reason to make mountains out of molehills.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 07:59:49 PM »

The issue is very real for young women here.

http://www.aic.gov.au/media_library/publications/rpp/36/rpp036.pdf

Some statistics from Australia:

(a) In aboriginal communities, 40 per cent of rape incidents occur after the offender had been drinking alcohol or using drugs;

(b) 15% of Australian women have been sexually assaulted since age 15;

(c) For every 1,000 sexual assaults, it is estimated that only 25 successful prosecutions are realised.

(d) 0.012% of the Australian male population are in jail for sexual assault.

(e) Males in Victoria aged 33-39 are the 'most arrested' men for sexual assault in Australia with 0.59% of that age demographic having been charged with sexual crimes.

So out of 1,000 Victorian men aged between 33-39, 6 have been charged.

To be fair to Victorian men, NT and WA have the highest rates of imprisonment for crimes of a sexual nature.

So Kasich is on the money. With daughters, he would be very concerned.

Here is some US statistics, courtesy of CNN:

Among female college students, 23% said they experienced some form of unwanted sexual contact -- ranging from kissing to touching to rape, carried out by force or threat of force, or while they were incapacitated because of alcohol and drugs, according to a 2015 survey by the Association of American Universities. Nearly 11% said the unwanted contact included penetration or oral sex.

PeteB
Canada

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 09:04:48 PM »

You should avoid parties with alcohol involved if you do not have people you trust around you. It is common sense. Sure, we should focus more on the men and women who sexually assault individuals. However, don't put yourself in bad situations because you are partially to blame

Going to a party with alcohol (which is all parties not sponsored by a Mosque or a Mormon temple) is not a "bad situation". That's what I find ridiculous about Kasich's statement.
I did not say that. I just merely said that you avoid parties with alcohol involved if you do not have people you trust around you. A party with alcohol (it really is not a party without it) is not inherently a bad thing or situation. However, it can be. Avoid putting yourself in these situations.

I just looked at the whole conversation.  What Kasich actually said included a description of all the preventive, advisory and aid measures against campus rape, examples of what is already being done in Ohio, and it was only at the end that he finished by giving this young lady some "fatherly" advice about drinking and partying, in response to her direct question about how to avoid it. It was pretty obviously done with the best intentions and it was also received in that fashion - the students in attendance gave him a big round of applause. I would have given my daughter the same advice and Kasich's only "mistake" was that I was not his kin and that cameras were running. It only shows he is human.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 12:21:16 PM »

After reading this thread to the end, I can only conclude that one (or both) of these two must be true:

1. Atlas posters are very passionate about their parties and alcohol

OR

2. Kasich is finally being viewed as a real threat by his opponents in both parties
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 01:06:37 PM »

There is the old adage of how hearsay becomes the perceived truth and some people obviously subscribe to it. They are hoping to keep this thread going and get to a point where they can eventually claim that Kasich said:

1. Once I am President, we will have Prohibition and
2. All women (especially students) consciously invite rapists and should wear chastity belts and be barred from parties

Good luck with that!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies