Kasich: Don't drink alcohol if you don't want to get raped
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:15:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Kasich: Don't drink alcohol if you don't want to get raped
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: Kasich: Don't drink alcohol if you don't want to get raped  (Read 10673 times)
dax00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2016, 03:17:07 PM »

More like a loose beige slingshot.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2016, 03:18:07 PM »

I don't get what's so offensive. Going to parties with lots of alcohol while meeting sketchy people generally isn't a good idea. The thread title is misleading.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2016, 03:21:29 PM »

If we could ban alcohol, 95% of all crime would instantly disappear, I would wager!!

You're not serious, are you? 

It's not practical or reasonable, so I wouldn't actually support that plan.  However, I want major changes made to curb the culture of alcohol, including:

-A ban on alcohol sales after 10 PM
-A requirement that all bars/taverns serve food and welcome customers of all ages to make them not mainly alcohol institutions
-Doubling the penalty for any crime committed with alcohol in the system
-A ban on alcohol advertisements on network TV

Basically, I just want a general change in the culture away from glorifying the consumption of alcohol.  Myself, I have never tried it in my life and never will.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2016, 03:22:50 PM »

Stray observation:

I don't drink that much. However, many of my friends do. A LOT. And yet, somehow, despite all this alcohol, no one seems to be raping anyone.

Maybe it's not the alcohol that's causing the raping. Maybe it's rapists who are causing the raping.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2016, 03:23:38 PM »

Myself, I have never tried it in my life and never will.

This explains a lot.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2016, 03:24:06 PM »

Stray observation:

I don't drink that much. However, many of my friends do. A LOT. And yet, somehow, despite all this alcohol, no one seems to be raping anyone.

Maybe it's not the alcohol that's causing the raping. Maybe it's rapists who are causing the raping.

I think we can all agree somebody's doing the raping.
Cruzcrew
Paleocon
United States

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2016, 03:25:07 PM »

Kasich isn't completely unreasonable here
dax00

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2016, 03:27:43 PM »
« Edited: April 15, 2016, 04:24:30 PM by dax00 »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Don't support banning alcohol sales at any time.
Do support food requirement and family-friendly bars
Doubling the penalty is extreme and would be impractical when sentencing in many cases. A crime is a crime regardless of blood alcohol level, and no more a crime.
First Amendment - can't do that.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2016, 03:35:24 PM »

I shouldn't get involved, I know, but yes you can ban commercials of course. Cigarette commercials are banned. I imagine there aren't any marijuana commercials on local Colorado commercials, effective as those would be.

They are already banned from drinking the product in their commercials. A ban would probably be appropriate.
EliteLX
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.64, S: 0.85

« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2016, 03:38:51 PM »

A terrible out of context quote, who would of guessed it'd be by sjk?

He didn't say what the title claims he said and anybody who tries to force that idea is intellectually impaired. He was speaking in context with his young daughters and was clearly referring to the environments born out of college & high school parties swimming with belligerence and drunk people. Alcohol, primarily with young people in party scenarios, is a breeding ground for poor decisions, sexual frustrations, and these sick crimes. He's uh, right?

Some of you folks really are a special type of stupid.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2016, 03:49:39 PM »

A terrible out of context quote, who would of guessed it'd be by sjk?

Here's the context:

Kasich was asked what he would do to prevent sexual harassment, violence, and hate.

In his response, he talked about how much he would care for women after the fact, and how safe he would make them feel.  WRONG ANSWER.

"There have been a string of burglaries up and down Maple Street.  What are you going to do about this as police chief?"

"Well, when I was an officer in Shelbyville, I made sure that people who were the victims of theft had someone they could talk to immediately about their burglary.  We had police officers ready so that they could file police reports and really get the ball rolling with insurance.  Let me tell you, I have a home, and it would be unthinkable if someone broke into it.  And, pro tip: remember to lock your doors!"

Umm... how about TRACK DOWN THE BURGLARS?
Former Senator Haslam2020
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2016, 03:50:54 PM »

Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2016, 03:54:28 PM »

What a stupid thread. He never said that, but of course the Democratic hacks here don't care.
Also, he wants abortions to be legal in cases of rape, incest, and when the life of the mother is endangered. So, uh, yeah.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2016, 03:57:00 PM »

What a stupid thread. He never said that, but of course the Democratic hacks here don't care.
Also, he wants abortions to be legal in cases of rape, incest, and when the life of the mother is endangered. So, uh, yeah.

Yet another reason to vote for him, thank you.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2016, 04:08:24 PM »

This discussion is a perfect illustration of Kasich's lack of issues, suitable for opponent attack. He is so ordinary that even comments like these (which he probably should have rephrased, knowing it will be taken out of context) have to be used and dissected. Heaven only knows how many of these threads we would have if every similar Trump comment was discussed.
yankeesfan
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2016, 04:20:37 PM »

This discussion is a perfect illustration of Kasich's lack of issues, suitable for opponent attack. He is so ordinary that even comments like these (which he probably should have rephrased, knowing it will be taken out of context) have to be used and dissected. Heaven only knows how many of these threads we would have if every similar Trump comment was discussed.

You astound me.  I can only imagine the mental gymnastics that you must do before you spin everything into a pro-Kasich post.  It must be so exhausting.    
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2016, 04:22:32 PM »

Speaking as someone who doesn't drink frequently and does not get drunk, this is an incredibly tactless thing to say. It's like Trump telling kids not to do drugs.
dax00

« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2016, 04:23:13 PM »

I shouldn't get involved, I know, but yes you can ban commercials of course. Cigarette commercials are banned. I imagine there aren't any marijuana commercials on local Colorado commercials, effective as those would be.

They are already banned from drinking the product in their commercials. A ban would probably be appropriate.
The bans you mentioned are unconstitutional.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #43 on: April 15, 2016, 04:29:12 PM »

Remind me about how the establishment will steal the nomination from TRUMP and Cruz to give it to this clown.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2016, 04:33:23 PM »

You see, he's not robotic enough for Atlas. If he was, he'd be an empty suit robot. Since he isn't, we're discussing why is he human?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2016, 04:42:09 PM »

If you want to feel safe, not going to parties with a lot of alcohol is bad advice why? 

Because it denies the human agency of rapists and excuses their behavior.

"Be careful with food around your campsite" is good advice for avoiding problems with bears and raccoons. But we don't treat bears and racoons as people, and we certainly don't let them vote. What Kasich is implicitly saying is that its somehow unfair or wrong to create a standard that requires human beings to act decently (particularly towards women) thereby giving de facto permission for what is completely unacceptable, criminal and destructive behavior.

If Kasich had been asked about the Holocaust, and replied "Jews should have gotten out of Germany" his career would be over. Or, if he were God forbid, assassinated, no one would think that, "I guess he shouldn't have run for president" would be approrpirate.

When the State Dept advises against Americans going to Somalia or Nigeria, are they denying agency to Islamic terrorists and excusing their behavior?   
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2016, 04:48:33 PM »

Nothing he said is wrong. Alcohol parties are dangerous and really it is stupid for a teenage girl to go, especially alone. That isnt saying it is here fault if things happen, but if you want to be safe it is foolish to put yourself in such obvious danger.
dax00

« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2016, 04:57:31 PM »

When the State Dept advises against Americans going to Somalia or Nigeria, are they denying agency to Islamic terrorists and excusing their behavior?   
The difference between imminent threat and observed threat. It is necessary to caution against imminent threat.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2016, 05:00:11 PM »

The difference between imminent threat and observed threat. It is necessary to caution against imminent threat.

Huh
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2016, 05:01:45 PM »

If only women never drink during the parties, rape would simply dissapear.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies