Opinion of people raised Catholic who don't identify as Catholic anymore (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 10:00:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Opinion of people raised Catholic who don't identify as Catholic anymore (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of people raised Catholic who don't identify as Catholic anymore
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Opinion of people raised Catholic who don't identify as Catholic anymore  (Read 5255 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« on: November 04, 2013, 06:01:27 AM »

I'm one.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 07:37:52 AM »

I know the question seems kind of silly, but it seems like lots of people including many who aren't even Catholic oddly would hold them in contempt because they consider them either:

1-Traitors (like this: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CategoryTraitor)
and/or 2-People who are degrading culture blah blah blah and thus somehow harming society in some way.

It's quite bizarre. Weirdly this includes a lot of True Leftists when it's a very reactionary and traditionalist conservative view.

Assuming you're right, this seems to be an exclusively American thing. In European countries (especially those where Catholicism used to be the mainstream religion), being a nonbeliever is not a big deal. I mean, I guess a hardline Catholic would be sad for you because you're going to go to hell etc., but nothing more.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 12:52:24 PM »

Huh

Anyway, I have a hard time seeing why anyone who doesn't believe in God would ever identify as a Catholic (or as any other religion, for that matter).
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 07:08:32 AM »

For the record I agree with this and as stated before, that's generally what the case is in the Midwest. I just keep getting responded to with that the Midwest is apparently this freak region unlike everywhere else in the world and everywhere else anyone ever raised Catholic is considered Catholic for life, whether they believe in God or not.

Yeah, I don't get Oakvale here. I mean, there's nothing wrong with appreciating Catholic culture even when you don't believe in its religious component (there are many things I do like about it), but how can you call yourself Catholic? Besides being objectively wrong, it seems almost offensive to actual believers.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 04:20:45 PM »

Awful. They have to return to the Faith.

Advice for future discussions on the topic. It would help if you word it as I was planning on wording it.

"I am a practicing Catholic with a Catholic upbringing, and I encourage these people to return to the Church. I know that sometimes things that are done/specific dogma can be frustrating, but the one-on-one relationship with God as well as the guidance of Pope Francis is very rewarding."

I certainly prefer your wording to Cathcon's. Tongue

Still, I find the idea that one should choose a faith based on how "rewarding" it is (as opposed to choosing it as a result of deeply held beliefs) pretty disturbing. One doesn't "choose" to believe in a particular faith as they choose to buy a particular brand of cereals. One should only choose it if this is what truly fits their inner principles, and this is a decision to be made alone with little to be gained from someone's advice.

Also, I can accept guidance from Pope Francis even as a non-believer who has a lot of esteem and admiration for the person.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies