How will the WOW suburbs go in 2024? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 01:59:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  How will the WOW suburbs go in 2024? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How will the WOW suburbs go in 2024?  (Read 2707 times)
WIResident
Rookie
United States

« on: December 05, 2020, 04:10:14 PM »

I'm from the WOW counties, a very Republican portion of them infact. The idea of them shaping back is silly and wishful (on the part of some R's). It was wrong before the election, and it remains wrong after the election. Congressional and statewide Republicans are continuing to do worse over time even though they outperform Trump. A Wauwatosa-Elm Grove-Brookfield district just flipped Dem in the assembly, a seat R's won even in 2018. There are serious concerns here for what used to be the heart of the GOP base in Wisconsin.

I also live in an assembly district that flipped Dem this year but I think that the WOW counties will swing back to the right once Trump is out of the picture, the areas that shifted left are wealthy and don't have much to actually gain from Democratic policies. There is no way Mequon, for example, would vote Dem if it meant that their taxes would go up. The reason why Donald Trump lost the state in 2020 was because a chunk of suburban WOW Republicans never liked him personally, but a lot of them voted Ted Cruz in the 2016 primary and are still conservative voters.
WIResident
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 09:39:03 PM »

I'm from the WOW counties, a very Republican portion of them infact. The idea of them shaping back is silly and wishful (on the part of some R's). It was wrong before the election, and it remains wrong after the election. Congressional and statewide Republicans are continuing to do worse over time even though they outperform Trump. A Wauwatosa-Elm Grove-Brookfield district just flipped Dem in the assembly, a seat R's won even in 2018. There are serious concerns here for what used to be the heart of the GOP base in Wisconsin.

I also live in an assembly district that flipped Dem this year but I think that the WOW counties will swing back to the right once Trump is out of the picture, the areas that shifted left are wealthy and don't have much to actually gain from Democratic policies. There is no way Mequon, for example, would vote Dem if it meant that their taxes would go up. The reason why Donald Trump lost the state in 2020 was because a chunk of suburban WOW Republicans never liked him personally, but a lot of them voted Ted Cruz in the 2016 primary and are still conservative voters.

And West Virginians have an economic incentive to stay with the GOP?

Well a lot of Democrats say they want to end the coal industry so I think West Virginians can put two and two together there.
WIResident
Rookie
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 09:45:38 PM »

And West Virginians have an economic incentive to stay with the GOP?

Well a lot of Democrats say they want to end the coal industry so I think West Virginians can put two and two together there.

Fine, other impoverished rural whites who don’t work in coal/gas.
The answer is clearly no.

My point is that people don’t vote on their pocketbooks like 90’s wisdom suggests.

People still vote on their pocketbooks in the WOW counties though, it's still made up of wealthy conservative GOP suburbs and is the core of the GOP base in Wisconsin and that isn't changing anytime soon. The Dems aren't flipping Ozaukee County even if they win the election by 10 points and the other two counties are even more GOP.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies