French political discussion megathread: Yellow Vest Redux (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 07:12:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  French political discussion megathread: Yellow Vest Redux (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: French political discussion megathread: Yellow Vest Redux  (Read 30672 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« on: July 27, 2022, 09:26:40 AM »

He is right, but I don't see how saying it in these terms helps. The only way France can hope to salvage its geopolitical position in Africa is by actually, you know, providing actual material support that makes the relationship beneficial to both parties - something it has rarely been in the past 60 years (although admittedly I doubt Russia or China will be any better in the long run). And yeah, also acknowledging France's colonial crimes might help a bit.

Any material support should be conditionnal on those countries condemning Russia.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2022, 06:20:23 PM »

Adrien Quattenens has resigned from his LFI portfolio because it was leaked that he slapped his wife.

Melenchon's reaction : a three pronged mainstream media, police and social media conspiracy and the wife beater deserves credit for bravery.

Quattenens proves yet again LFI as an organism cannot be relied on because the individuals who follow the cult leader are as bad as the cult leader. .

Be interesting to hear how the pro-Nupes people here justify wife beaters. Bouhafs was given some leeway for being from a North African background. So ginger people deserve some slack too I imagine...

This is an example among many other examples why I don't support NUPES. It's very low to defend wife beaters.
An another key member of the NUPES, Julien Bayou, has been accused of having beaten his wife as well.

I think your allegation is quite libellious, as Sandrine Rousseau only talked about ''actions who endanger the moral health'' and is not yet calling to him to be suspended from his party positions. Don't jump the shark in your anti-NUPES position.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2022, 05:02:46 PM »

RN has just announced they will vote for a Censorship motion against the government presented by the NUPES related to the imposed-budget, LR votes are decisive in order to the Borne' cabinet (and possibly, the legislature) survival.

Watch LR save Macron's ass again while still LARPing as an opposition party.

QED (though based on these numbers, it's clear Macron also got some help from the anti-NUPES "left" - no surprise there either)

Voting details are here: https://www2.assemblee-nationale.fr/scrutins/detail/(legislature)/16/(num)/358

All NUPES deputies voted for the motion, except 3 écolo deputies. But only one of the twenty members of the syncretic mish-mash group LIOT (Libertés, indépendants, outre-mer et territoires) voted for it, namely Guadeloupe leftist Olivier Serva (an ex-macronista supported by LFI in the runoff), so, yes the anti-NUPES PS dissidents didn't vote for it, and neither did any of the other components of LIOT: the Corsicans, the UDI leftovers, Molac and the other overseas members, unsurprisingly. Among the non-inscrits, only NDA voted for it, which means that PS dissident David Habib, ex-villieriste Véronique Besse and far-rightist Emmanuelle Ménard.

Interestingly, Ménard didn't vote for the RN's competing non-confidence motion either (which got 90 votes, including one vote for LFI, Martinique leftist Jean-Philippe Nilor).

Of the 3 écologistes who didn't for censure, Jérémie Iordanoff is refusing to vote for anything the far-right votes her, Sébastien Peytavie is hospitalized and Jean-Claude Raux says he couldn't be there due to a local prior engagement and his proxy vote paperwork didn't work to a clerical mistake.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2023, 03:33:43 PM »

Violent riots are always the wrong approach and lead to nothing other than more innocent people or their property getting hurt. What happened is a tragedy and disgrace, but two wrongs don't make a right. Protests should always be peaceful, otherwise it's no protest.

It's France. There will be inflitrated cops in every protest to make sure it goes violent.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2023, 10:04:19 AM »

Violent riots are always the wrong approach and lead to nothing other than more innocent people or their property getting hurt. What happened is a tragedy and disgrace, but two wrongs don't make a right. Protests should always be peaceful, otherwise it's no protest.
That's not how things work in the real world

You're right. Sometimes we on Atlas lose touch with the common people, and forget that working-class folks love having their cars and upstart businesses torched in democratic socities, where there's just no political or media avenues to pursue changes we want to see enacted. /s

Though, I don't want to leave this comment without saying that I do think the identity of the teen played a part in why he was shot and murdered with zero need and I hope justice eventually prevails.

As if anybody is wealthy enough to own a car or a business in the banlieue...
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2023, 12:51:15 PM »

Gaddafi's revenge from beyond the grave?

No, because the rioters were already in France years before that. The rioters are not first generation immigrants.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2023, 05:42:11 PM »

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-67088547
France's interior minister has banned all pro-Palestinian demonstrations in the country.

In a statement, Gérald Darmanin ordered foreign nationals who break the rules to be "systematically" deported.

The move comes as European governments fear a rise in antisemitism triggered by the Israel-Hamas war.

A more civilized country than America bans all pro Palestine protests.

Gérald Darmanin is the type who would ban all demonstrations of any kind (but police unions) is he could.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2023, 05:00:06 PM »

I guess we’re seeing the same kind of security failure as with Netanyahu: the government is so focused on stoking hatred and throwing red meat to the far right that they forgot to, you know, fight terrorism.

They don't forget. They need terrorism to happen to scare people into voting for them.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2024, 07:23:08 PM »

Some drama between Bayrou and Macron (and then Bayrou and his own party) after he was cleared of allegations of embezzling funds from his MEP gig. Result is that now Macron is not only on bad terms with Edouard Phillippe's Horizons but also the Modem.

Not surprising. Macron is the typical case of being the teacher's pet with an insufferable sense of entitlement what everybody hates. (I admit, shagging the teacher is not normally part of it).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies