Doug Jones votes with blue dogs and Trump on budget
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 02:21:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Doug Jones votes with blue dogs and Trump on budget
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Doug Jones votes with blue dogs and Trump on budget  (Read 6308 times)
Joey1996

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2018, 02:08:09 PM »

Doug Jones campaigned on being bipartisan and working together, so obviously he is going to vote in a mostly centrist way.

Generally politicians try to behave/vote like they campaign.

I don't remember Scott Brown doing such a thing.

Because Republicans understand power and knew to treat Brown’s Senate win like the fluke it was. I don’t remember Brown vowing to unions or speaking centrist on budgets and taxes.

Doug Jones will almost certainly not win re-election. If he is a true progressive, he should ditch the moderation and try to help the horribly oppressed people in his state like he promised to. Anything less is a waste of the capabilities of his seat and the good fortunes of his win.
Joey1996

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2018, 02:09:32 PM »

1. He campaigned on bipartisanship

2. His vote didn't count for anything when they weren't close to 60.

Bipartisanship is working together on a clean DACA bill
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2018, 02:27:37 PM »

So I take it you’ll go back to Birmingham with him and explain why he voted against CHIP for the rural black communities who use it in favor of people who are not citizens?

Doug Jones does not represent California. His voters did not send him there to vote against their interests in favor of non-citizens.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2018, 02:28:21 PM »

For the typical Alabama swing voter, getting CHIP funded is far, far more important than fixing the DACA fiasco Trump created.

Also, Jones has no reasonable hope of retaining the Senate seat, but he might be able to parley his time in the Senate into a successful future campaign for Governor.  I don't blame him for looking ahead on a symbolic vote.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2018, 02:29:29 PM »

Plus the CR had CHIP funding in it and he ran on funding CHIP so he would have hurt himself by voting against the CR.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2018, 02:30:37 PM »

http://www.al.com/news/mobile/index.ssf/2018/01/doug_jones_politically_prudent.html
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2018, 02:31:17 PM »

He defeated a pedophile, and we don't have that ultra-religious, fascist monster in the Senate.
That's all that needs to be said.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2018, 02:31:51 PM »

This is a meaningless vote where he can signal he's "working across the aisle to fix Washington." We can complain when he actually breaks a filibuster.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2018, 02:34:33 PM »

What else did you expect?
fluffypanther19
United States

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2018, 02:34:44 PM »

This is completely meaningless in the long run, why are we arguing about this?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2018, 02:38:49 PM »

Because some left wingers think that anybody who's to the right of Saul Alinsky is a Nazi.
IndustrialJustice

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2018, 02:41:19 PM »

Doug Jones campaigned on being bipartisan and working together, so obviously he is going to vote in a mostly centrist way.

Because Republicans understand power and knew to treat Brown’s Senate win like the fluke it was. I don’t remember Brown vowing to unions or speaking centrist on budgets and taxes.

Doug Jones will almost certainly not win re-election. If he is a true progressive, he should ditch the moderation and try to help the horribly oppressed people in his state like he promised to. Anything less is a waste of the capabilities of his seat and the good fortunes of his win.

So since Jones will "almost certainly" not win, he should indulge in meaningless gestures that will guarantee that he doesn't win? Okay.

You seriously think voting the opposite way on this would have “guaranteed” his loss in 2020 (assuming, as you seem to be doing, that Jones has even a fraction of a chance of victory)? Okay.

In a vacuum, it’s a meaningless vote. But to reasonable people, it should signal a worrying start.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2018, 02:43:42 PM »

So since Jones will "almost certainly" not win, he should indulge in meaningless gestures that will guarantee that he doesn't win? Okay.

You seriously think voting the opposite way on this would have “guaranteed” his loss in 2020 (assuming, as you seem to be doing, that Jones has even a fraction of a chance of victory)? Okay.

In a vacuum, it’s a meaningless vote. But to reasonable people, it should signal a worrying start.

Consistently making meaningless votes that alienate his voters will guarantee that he loses, yeah.
Joey1996

« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2018, 02:45:26 PM »

So I take it you’ll go back to Birmingham with him and explain why he voted against CHIP for the rural black communities who use it in favor of people who are not citizens?

Doug Jones does not represent California. His voters did not send him there to vote against their interests in favor of non-citizens.

So was it a symbolic vote or did he somehow believe it would pass and continue funding for CHIP?
IndustrialJustice

« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2018, 02:47:25 PM »

Consistently making meaningless votes that alienate his voters will guarantee that he loses, yeah.

... he’s going to lose. He will not retain the seat. Stop talking about alienating voters when it won’t matter.

It was ultimately meaningless to vote on the side of Donald Trump and Mitch McConnell, too. I’m curious how that is a “win” for him almost three years away from re-election day.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2018, 02:48:50 PM »
« Edited: January 21, 2018, 02:53:02 PM by JFK »

Because some left wingers think that anybody who's to the right of Saul Alinsky is a Nazi.
This entire discussion is why I am annoyed by Sandernistas, despite actually supporting many of the same policies as them. It seems that when given the choice of having:

Ideologically pure candidates lose to Republicans
OR
People who vote against our wishes once and a while but who are otherwise reliable Democratic votes beat Republicans, who will almost never vote for anything we want

many maroon avatars and some Democrats would choose the former over the latter, which is, to me, absurd.

Let Jones, Tester, Heitkamp, McCaskill, Manchin, and Donnelly be. They need to keep their seats. If they go off the deep end, then we can talk, but if they're only casting symbolic votes because of CHIP funding (and Tester didn't even do that) that actually has no real effect, leave them alone.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2018, 02:52:54 PM »

... he’s going to lose. He will not retain the seat. Stop talking about alienating voters when it won’t matter.

It was ultimately meaningless to vote on the side of Donald Trump and Mitch McConnell, too. I’m curious how that is a “win” for him almost three years away from re-election day.

Only morons confidently predict the fall of an incumbent three years before the election happens. His vote isn't a "win" and I never said it was - but his opponent cutting ads about how he voted against CHIP two months after promising to do all he could to fight for it isn't meaningless.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2018, 02:53:24 PM »

This is Doug Jones we're talking about, not Bernie Sanders. Would you rather have Roy Moore?
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2018, 03:06:06 PM »

So was it a symbolic vote or did he somehow believe it would pass and continue funding for CHIP?
It was a vote in the best interest of the black Americans who had to combat Jim Crow inspired voter suppression tactics to vote for him.
IndustrialJustice

« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2018, 03:06:36 PM »

Only morons confidently predict the fall of an incumbent three years before the election happens. His vote isn't a "win" and I never said it was - but his opponent cutting ads about how he voted against CHIP two months after promising to do all he could to fight for it isn't meaningless.

You seem to believe that Jones can credibly create a centrist profile without voting for Trump on some major pieces of legislation or procedure down the line. These small little meaningless votes in favor of Trump are absolutely pointless because they will long be forgotten by anyone who does not follow these things obsessively.

My concern is that Jones and his strategists will trick themselves into voting in favor of several (if not a majority) of Trump’s judicial nominees under the belief that this will result in legitimate centrist bonafides. In reality, his opponents will smear him as Nancy Pelosi’s best friend unless he personally introduces the bill to affirmatively abolish the ACA, and even then that won’t stop them. Republicans do not deal in good faith. Nothing is good enough.
Joey1996

« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2018, 04:31:16 PM »

It was a vote in the best interest of the black Americans who had to combat Jim Crow inspired voter suppression tactics to vote for him.

Nice twist, I'm not buying it
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2018, 04:35:09 PM »

This is still going on? Can we just ban every maroon avatar on the site (bar Centrist, Scarlet, and Joyce) and be done with it?
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2018, 04:53:51 PM »

This is still going on? Can we just ban every maroon avatar on the site (bar Centrist, Scarlet, and Joyce) and be done with it?

I'm all for this.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2018, 04:56:07 PM »

Nice twist, I'm not buying it

That's great, and I am sure everyone especially Senator Jones gives a sh!t especially since you are a constituent.
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2018, 04:58:28 PM »

I'm all for this.

And you. Tongue
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies