Big Business (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 05:00:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Big Business (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What is your opinion of Big Business?
Very Favorable

Favorable

Unfavorable

Very Unfavorable

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 33

Author Topic: Big Business  (Read 5436 times)
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« on: December 21, 2004, 11:00:33 AM »

Business in the United States is a joke.

- All anti-trust legislation should be abolished.  There is simply no excuse for the government to invade your natural rights.

- Federal minimum wage should be abolished.  You're infringing on my right to choose for how I want to price my labor.  If I want to sign a contract with another person that offers my labor at $1.50 an hour, I HAVE THAT RIGHT.

- The corporation principle should be abolished.  Incorporating provides a way for people to obtain a "limited liability" which is blatantly against Anglo-Saxon Common Law.  Limited liability, or the principle that a man is not responsible for his actions, encourage risky behavior and even illegal behavior under a pretense of immunity against parties that may have claims against you.  All organizations must be fully liable for their actions, and the people in said organizations that have a direct ownership (stocks) or management control should be fully liable for their actions, and the actions taken by the organization they control.

Enron would not have happened.  People need to be responsible for their actions.

- Bankruptcy laws should be abolished.  There should be no easy way out.  This is another shield to encourage people not to be responsible for their actions.  It is immoral and wrong.  There should be no option to declare onself bankrupt, and neither should a corporation have that ability.  If a corporation runs out of money and has creditors, you start taking money from the owners (shareholders) and management.

Based on such laws, no one should fear anything from a big business.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2004, 01:58:34 PM »

- All anti-trust legislation should be abolished.  There is simply no excuse for the government to invade your natural rights.

I actually disagree on this. Some of these laws prevent price collaboration. Capitalism serves everyone best when it is competitive, and price collaboration(trusts, cartels) create artificial monopolies that are bad for the consumer - like what OPEC does, raise the price of oil whenever they feel like it, rather than base prices on supply and demand are. Some anti-trust legislation may be bad, but preventing price collaboration is good.
So you're willing to revoke someone's right to make a contract with someone else?

You don't have to buy your oil from OPEC.  Oligopolies can't last without government interference.  It is government that causes monopolies and oligopolies.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2004, 02:46:45 PM »

Richius, you have very strong Libertarian views, at least on economic issues. I applaud that. Are there any more like you in Ontario?
Yes.  I have managed to convert a friend I've known since grade 10, who used to tell me how Canada had a good healthcare system, we should support the UN, ban guns, etc.  He now:

- has an American flag on his truck
- owns guns
- has a Confederate flag and Israeli flag in his room
- is in the Ayn Rand club at university with me
- believes in privatizing everything, and is dabbling with the idea of privatizing the police force

The only issue I haven't managed to convince him of is the death penalty.  He wants to put them to work producing stuff in order to compete with China, for the rest of their lives.  Sort of like slaves.

I think he may support voluntary slavery like me.  I also think he supports the rights of people to duel to the death if they so choose, without government interference.

Now we want to join a militia...

I'm working hard here in Ontario. Smiley 
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2004, 09:23:07 AM »

The only problem? I think corporate contributions to political parties and organizations should be BANNED. We're living under the tyranny of politics and money being intertwined.
So much for the Democratic platform of protecting civil rights.  Now you want to tell me who I can donate to?
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2004, 12:46:48 PM »

The only problem? I think corporate contributions to political parties and organizations should be BANNED. We're living under the tyranny of politics and money being intertwined.
So much for the Democratic platform of protecting civil rights.  Now you want to tell me who I can donate to?

I somewhat agree with the idea of limiting or stopping corporate contributions. Remember, a corporation is NOT AN INDIVIDUAL. However, at the same time, we need to stop limiting individual contributions.
Right...  but all my multi-billion dollar company needs to do is make a huge gift of $20 million to a director living in Puerto Rico, which in turn will make a personal donation of $20 million to whomever.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2004, 11:52:53 PM »

I'm talking about the Axis of Evil: Corporations, Parties, and Government. It's 10000000000000000X more dangerous than NK, Iran and Iraq.
agreed.  That is why we need a minimalist government and to abolish corporations.  I have no idea what to do about parties.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2004, 12:29:33 PM »

Corporations are artificial entities created by government.  This is the government interfering with society, once again.  Corporations are immoral because they shield owners and management from responsibility for their actions.  I believe that if you choose a course of action that wipes our hundreds of people's savings, you have to be held personally accountable and your personal assets should be touchable.

Right now, corporations cause management to be reckless in some cases while providing an immunity shield.

All non-voting owners should have limited liability (for the amount they invested).  Voting owners should have unlimited liablility, and top level management likewise.

Criminal acts committed by the corporation will be charged against the person(s) responsible.

The reason why people trust big business is because they're protected by these laws and circumstances.

Luckily, professional organizations can't incorporate.  Accountants, lawyers, and the like, are always liable.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies