Ilhan Omar -‘As Somalis, one day we will go after our missing territories.’
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 07:00:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ilhan Omar -‘As Somalis, one day we will go after our missing territories.’
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: Ilhan Omar -‘As Somalis, one day we will go after our missing territories.’  (Read 3836 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2024, 02:15:40 PM »

They already tried going after those territories and the consequences were catastrophic for their country and are still being felt today. Why would they do it again?
They can’t, anyway - Somalia has been a failed state for 30+ years. Somalia can’t control Mogadishu, much less take the Ogden.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2024, 02:22:44 PM »

Most hard-liners against American/western imperialism are definitely not against imperialism as a whole, yes. Like the rest of the Squad, save Pressley and I suppose Ramirez, she needs to go.
rc18
United Kingdom

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2024, 02:46:08 PM »

What gets me the most about this is how her and fellow Islamists posture as ‘anti-war’ to the western progressives when in reality their complaints are that their nationalist irredentist causes aren’t winning

That pretty much describes every tankie.

They aren't anti-war, they just oppose wars against the 'wrong' people.
They don't oppose hatred, they just think the wrong people are being persecuted.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2024, 02:56:41 PM »

One of the most evil members of the U.S. House of Representatives. If she had her way, the world would be consumed by war and death.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2024, 03:15:18 PM »

One of the most evil members of the U.S. House of Representatives. If she had her way, the world would be consumed by war and death.

99% of Republicans and most Dems are worse.

Progressive but non squad Dems like Raskin, Jacobs and Nikema Williams are just about at the sweet spot for me personally.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2024, 03:45:19 PM »

Lol have fun with that, Ilhan.
Reactionary Libertarian
ReactionaryLibertarian
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2024, 05:37:54 PM »

She should be deported to her missing territories and fight to get them back.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2024, 05:58:46 PM »

I guess it's no different than Irish-American politicians cheering for the IRA. Pretty cringe and worthy of criticism, but hardly unique.

This was my gut reaction, too, but so far Omar hasn't gone one-tenth as far as someone like Pete King did.

Many prominent Irish-Americans went much further than cheering on the IRA: They openly abetted acts of terrorism, and mostly got away with it because it wasn't politically convenient to do anything about it.

That's true. It's actually utterly wild that we had elected officials essentially sponsoring terrorism against arguably the US' closest ally and it wasn't a major scandal. I'm as sympathetic to the Irirsh Republican cause as they come, but this is really not a precedent we should have set.

Either way, this makes me a bit suspicious of people who are now acting like Omar saying this is the ultimate proof of her "un-Americanness" or something, when it doesn't seem like they've ever held Americans of European ancestry to the same standard. Of course it's still worthy of criticism, though.

Ilhan Omar has accused American soldiers of being terrorists , downplayed 9/11 , and is clearly has shown she’s sympathetic to Islamists

And there are plenty of people in the US who have clearly shown they are sympathetic to the religious extremists governing Israel and/or the religious extremists governing India, for example, yet I’m not calling for the US government to take action against them (unless they’re actually violent and have committed federal crimes of course).

People should really not be wildly throwing out accusations of fifth columnist activity and dual loyalties like this.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2024, 06:16:26 PM »

I guess it's no different than Irish-American politicians cheering for the IRA. Pretty cringe and worthy of criticism, but hardly unique.

This was my gut reaction, too, but so far Omar hasn't gone one-tenth as far as someone like Pete King did.

Many prominent Irish-Americans went much further than cheering on the IRA: They openly abetted acts of terrorism, and mostly got away with it because it wasn't politically convenient to do anything about it.

That's true. It's actually utterly wild that we had elected officials essentially sponsoring terrorism against arguably the US' closest ally and it wasn't a major scandal. I'm as sympathetic to the Irirsh Republican cause as they come, but this is really not a precedent we should have set.

Either way, this makes me a bit suspicious of people who are now acting like Omar saying this is the ultimate proof of her "un-Americanness" or something, when it doesn't seem like they've ever held Americans of European ancestry to the same standard. Of course it's still worthy of criticism, though.

Ilhan Omar has accused American soldiers of being terrorists , downplayed 9/11 , and is clearly has shown she’s sympathetic to Islamists

And there are plenty of people in the US who have clearly shown they are sympathetic to the religious extremists governing Israel and/or the religious extremists governing India, for example, yet I’m not calling for the US government to take action against them (unless they’re actually violent and have committed federal crimes of course).

People should really not be wildly throwing out accusations of fifth columnist activity and dual loyalties like this.

Lol at comparing Israel and India to Hamas , and Islamist governments in the region. Massive massive false equivalency that progressives always seem to make to excuse Islamists . You see this with the phrase “Christian Tailban” too when the fact is the people of rural Alabama are far far more tolerant than Islamists are .

So yes Omar hates this country but so do many people part of the  cultural communist squad in the House .
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2024, 06:30:59 PM »
« Edited: January 29, 2024, 07:52:51 PM by T'Chenka »

You aren't fooling anybody. We know what you (probably) mean by this, and you choosing not to clarify or contextualize your comment is just a confirmation of that.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2024, 06:36:23 PM »

You see this with the phrase “Christian Tailban” too when the fact is the people of rural Alabama are far far more tolerant than Islamists are .

Violent American theocratic authoritarians being compared to the Taliban in the context of a secular democracy is a reasonably apt comparison, all things considered.

So yes Omar hates this country but so do many people part of the  cultural communist squad in the House .

What is a "cultural communist"? Is this like "post-modernism" or something? If that's what you mean, I've seen Republicans taking post-modernist positions and making post-modernist arguments several times per year for the last decade.
Aurelius2
United States

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2024, 10:40:48 PM »

Longer video. She also talks about how "Somalia is for Somalis only" (Somalia is 45% non-Somalis), which is very discordant from how she talks about her adopted country.

That we had east coast politicians quasi-openly funding Irish terrorist groups for decades was a travesty and should be seen as a national embarrassment. We really got to get better about nipping this crap in the bud before it ever rises to that level again.

(Omar also, in this video, talks about "liberating" "Somali territory" from Kenya. I don't think that would go very well for Somalia!)
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2024, 10:53:05 PM »

Violent American theocratic authoritarians being compared to the Taliban in the context of a secular democracy is a reasonably apt comparison, all things considered.

Preaching on a street corner and holding public worship services is not the equivalent of the Taliban.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2024, 11:36:13 PM »
« Edited: January 28, 2024, 11:41:33 PM by Horus »

Longer video. She also talks about how "Somalia is for Somalis only" (Somalia is 45% non-Somalis), which is very discordant from how she talks about her adopted country.

That we had east coast politicians quasi-openly funding Irish terrorist groups for decades was a travesty and should be seen as a national embarrassment. We really got to get better about nipping this crap in the bud before it ever rises to that level again.

(Omar also, in this video, talks about "liberating" "Somali territory" from Kenya. I don't think that would go very well for Somalia!)

Couldn't agree more.

Plus Kenya is doing pretty damn well by African standards and I suspect they'd make short work of the Somalis if they were to ever try something so stupid.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2024, 11:45:07 PM »

Liberals in coffee shops are starting to whisper about travel bans.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2024, 12:55:07 AM »

She's not alone in that desire!

President Biden must forge a coalition of the willing amongst regional partners and allies to finally topple the Iranian terror regime.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2024, 01:27:07 AM »

The fact that she was ever allowed into this country is a disgrace.

Based on what exactly? Being a Somali? Being a Muslim? Or perhaps not being white enough for you Green Line? Because frankly, a quick look into her early life on Wiki shows no compelling reason to turn her away other than perhaps her father working under the Barre regime.

That's a perfectly valid reason, actually.

You guys can't hold this position towards Israelis and then turn around and want to admit Somali war criminals into the US.
AtorBoltox

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2024, 04:04:25 AM »

Any US elected official who uses their position to pursue the interests of their ethnic homelands should be deported. If your main focus is Israel or Cuba or Ireland or Palestine, go live there.

Problem is this isn't fairly enforced. When a politician puts Somalia over America most people are rightfully upset, when politicians put Israel over America we can't say anything or we get called a bigot.
Yes, this is the key takeaway. Even when the story is about the Somalis, it is imperative that we keep the focus on the eternal perfidy of the agents of Zion
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2024, 04:21:34 AM »

You see this with the phrase “Christian Tailban” too when the fact is the people of rural Alabama are far far more tolerant than Islamists are .

What is a "cultural communist"? Is this like "post-modernism" or something? If that's what you mean, I've seen Republicans taking post-modernist positions and making post-modernist arguments several times per year for the last decade.

1. Not it is not and for proof of it you have to look no further than Atlas which has very very right wing posters over the years including some on social issues. The two most prominent examples are probably ExtremeRepublican and Yellowhammer who on social issues are probably to the right of at least 95% of the voters in this nation but they are obviously still far more liberal than the Tailban let alone other Islamist Groups.

It is a complete false equivalency to say the Christian Right, Zionist Right or Hindu Nationalists are anywhere near as extreme as Islamists even if it goes against the progressive belief of "all religions are equally bad".

2. Basically they want hate the West and what the West stands for so the reason they side with Islamists is because of the principle of the "enemy of my enemy is my friend" but if Islamists are at war with a communist nation you will see these people back the communists(like they did in the Soviet-Afghan War).

Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2024, 06:21:12 AM »
« Edited: January 29, 2024, 06:35:40 AM by Red Velvet »

Any US elected official who uses their position to pursue the interests of their ethnic homelands should be deported. If your main focus is Israel or Cuba or Ireland or Palestine, go live there.

Nice beautiful words but in practice they’re empty as only non-white ethnicities get this backlash treatment. Whites do act the same way Ilhan Omar is acting here when favoring European and NATO relationships for example and the Israeli lobby is the strongest one that defines US foreign policy.

Which makes only fair that people like Ilhan Omar and others with origins from Africa, Asia or Latin America can do the same thing, using their position of power to push one specific group interests that are independent from US exactly like Whites have always done.

Hell, regarding LatAm if the person comes from a place of wealth - see Whiter Conservative Cuban Floridians - they will totally be heard more than poorer Latino immigrants in the border of Texas.

The thing is that White Identitarism is perceived as “how things are” and therefore not identitarism because that’s what US is nowadays while ONLY others Identitarism are perceived as a threat for being “not patriotic”. It’s a bunch of BS.

When people condemn Ilhan Omar for what she’s saying here while actively ignoring the White identitarism they themselves are a part of, what they’re really saying they wish blacks would go back to where they came from and not bring their topics to an America that defines itself geopolitically as white and sees people who look different as slaves that shouldn’t have interests of their own.

That white fear of US gradually darkening and therefore slowly drifting away from White Eurocentric topics as a priority (aka “Great Replacement”) is both completely ridiculous and useless. There’s nothing you people can do about it. Non-white people exist in US and they have a voice and increasingly more power and they will use it to talk about topics that are closer to them exactly like whites have always done.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2024, 07:51:42 AM »

Nice beautiful words but in practice they’re empty as only non-white ethnicities get this backlash treatment. Whites do act the same way Ilhan Omar is acting here when favoring European and NATO relationships for example and the Israeli lobby is the strongest one that defines US foreign policy.

Which makes only fair that people like Ilhan Omar and others with origins from Africa, Asia or Latin America can do the same thing, using their position of power to push one specific group interests that are independent from US exactly like Whites have always done.

Hell, regarding LatAm if the person comes from a place of wealth - see Whiter Conservative Cuban Floridians - they will totally be heard more than poorer Latino immigrants in the border of Texas.

The thing is that White Identitarism is perceived as “how things are” and therefore not identitarism because that’s what US is nowadays while ONLY others Identitarism are perceived as a threat for being “not patriotic”. It’s a bunch of BS.

When people condemn Ilhan Omar for what she’s saying here while actively ignoring the White identitarism they themselves are a part of, what they’re really saying they wish blacks would go back to where they came from and not bring their topics to an America that defines itself geopolitically as white and sees people who look different as slaves that shouldn’t have interests of their own.

That white fear of US gradually darkening and therefore slowly drifting away from White Eurocentric topics as a priority (aka “Great Replacement”) is both completely ridiculous and useless. There’s nothing you people can do about it. Non-white people exist in US and they have a voice and increasingly more power and they will use it to talk about topics that are closer to them exactly like whites have always done.

I don’t normally respond to unhinged rambling on this site but I mentioned both Israel and Ireland in my post.
Open Source Intelligence
United States
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2024, 08:01:06 AM »

Kind of agree with Bismarck. When you're elected to a position to represent the public, you're serving this country before all others. I have no problem with Omar being an activist voice for Somalis, but she is not elected to represent Somalis, she's representing Americans. This nonsense of bringing your ethnic discord from the homeland over here is what led to the bullsh*t stance of Irish diaspora in this country during World War I wanting us to become allies with Germany and declare war on Britain.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2024, 08:55:25 AM »

I don’t normally respond to unhinged rambling on this site but I mentioned both Israel and Ireland in my post.

Good for you but that’s not what literally every US politician practices:

Not standing unconditionally with Israel is apparently everything that Russia wants according to them. That kind of foreign identitarism is not only accepted, but culturally enforced.
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2024, 09:02:43 AM »

1. Not it is not and for proof of it you have to look no further than Atlas which has very very right wing posters over the years including some on social issues. The two most prominent examples are probably ExtremeRepublican and Yellowhammer who on social issues are probably to the right of at least 95% of the voters in this nation but they are obviously still far more liberal than the Tailban let alone other Islamist Groups.

It is a complete false equivalency to say the Christian Right, Zionist Right or Hindu Nationalists are anywhere near as extreme as Islamists even if it goes against the progressive belief of "all religions are equally bad".

2. Basically they want hate the West and what the West stands for so the reason they side with Islamists is because of the principle of the "enemy of my enemy is my friend" but if Islamists are at war with a communist nation you will see these people back the communists(like they did in the Soviet-Afghan War).

1. Just because a comparison is not exact does not mean it isn't appropriate in certain contexts.

Your claim that progressives (in general, as a group) believe that "all religions are equally bad" is a mischaracterization. The common beliefs that progressives share about religion is that people should not be discriminated against due to their religion, and that religion has no place in secular society in terms of government or laws.

2. "Basically they want to hate the west" = they don't want to d__k-ride the west. They want to praise the west when it does good things and criticize it when it does bad things. The belief that you have to support the west's actions - no matter what, in every single context - when the west sometimes does bad things is not a logical belief, and is incompatible with having a moral compass. Republicans demanding blind patriotism to everything the USA government does is IMO very bizarre. It's okay to criticize somebody you love and hold them to a higher standard. If you love America, you can be disappointed in it and ask it to do better.

Your reasoning for why the squad has supported Islamists but then supported communists against Islamists seems to maybe be speculation on your part. I may be wrong, but I've never seen those explanations given before. I don't even know if the squad has talked about who they would have supported in Afghanistan in the 1980s.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2024, 10:11:47 AM »

I literally made the exact criticism you're saying no one made on the very first page of this thread. Not everything is about race.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies