Your favorite Christian Democratic Party?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 01:31:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Your favorite Christian Democratic Party?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: See above
CDU (Germany)

CDA (Netherlands)

CVP/PDC (Switzerland)

CD&V (Belgium; Flanders)

CSV (Luxembourg)

KrF (Norway)

KD (Sweden)

KD (Finland)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: Your favorite Christian Democratic Party?  (Read 688 times)
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 24, 2017, 07:17:12 AM »

For simplicity in the poll I only put Christian Democratic parties with the word "christian" in their names and who are currently represented in their respective parliaments.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 07:36:13 AM »

Historically probably the CDU, but nowadays our own CDA, thanks to its rightward turn.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 07:43:26 AM »

Ugh, probably CDU.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 07:50:12 AM »

Historically probably the CDU, but nowadays our own CDA, thanks to its rightward turn.

Definitely the CDU historically but not the current CDU for me, I'm not sure about my current favorite, but the CDA would be a strong contender
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 11:20:42 PM »

The Swiss ones, actual proper Centrists who are actually Centrist.Im pretty sure that's unique.

CdH aren't too bad either (until the last couple of months that is)
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 11:43:32 PM »

KD (Sweden)   
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 07:19:53 PM »

CDA by far.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 12:44:05 PM »

How about CU in the Netherlands?
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 12:58:45 PM »

Or maybe even the SGP in the Netherlands. The SGP would be the most socially conservative of these options, in 2008 their leader said that he would vote for Huckabee if he were American (and I guess he would have supported Santorum in 2012). But I think OP means these traditional grand centrist parties of government, while the SGP is more like small Christian right fringe party (the CU and especially it's predecessors also used to be like that, but they moved to the centre even though they're still very conservative on social issues).
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 02:38:27 PM »

Or maybe even the SGP in the Netherlands. The SGP would be the most socially conservative of these options, in 2008 their leader said that he would vote for Huckabee if he were American (and I guess he would have supported Santorum in 2012). But I think OP means these traditional grand centrist parties of government, while the SGP is more like small Christian right fringe party (the CU and especially it's predecessors also used to be like that, but they moved to the centre even though they're still very conservative on social issues).

That's right
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 02:50:05 PM »

JonHawk
JHawk
Rookie

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2017, 08:49:50 PM »

The Dutch CDA. The only one that seems to be relatively right-wing, at least compared to the others
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2017, 09:00:10 PM »

This may be me making assumptions as well, but I tend to associate Christian Democratic parties specifically with Catholicism. Obviously not the case in the Nordics, but CDA in the Netherlands; PDC in Switzerland; CDU/CSU in Germany; the Belgian Christian Democratic parties all seem to be specifically catholic in their background and their traditional support base.

On the flip side, I believe that SGP and CU are more associated with reformist churches (like that utterly irrelevant UDF in Switzerland - isn't it funny how the European countries with multi-party systems always seem to have surprisingly similar parties?)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2017, 10:22:28 PM »

1. Norway
2. Switzerland
3. Sweden
4. Germany
5. Finland
6. Netherlands
7. Belgium
8. Luxembourg
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2017, 10:27:39 PM »

Does the Dutch EVP count?
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2017, 10:52:01 PM »

CDU by default I guess.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2017, 06:43:25 PM »

If including the Scandinavian parties, it would make sense to include CU.
TheLeftwardTide
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2017, 08:22:42 PM »

mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2017, 12:56:16 PM »

This may be me making assumptions as well, but I tend to associate Christian Democratic parties specifically with Catholicism. Obviously not the case in the Nordics, but CDA in the Netherlands; PDC in Switzerland; CDU/CSU in Germany; the Belgian Christian Democratic parties all seem to be specifically catholic in their background and their traditional support base.

On the flip side, I believe that SGP and CU are more associated with reformist churches (like that utterly irrelevant UDF in Switzerland - isn't it funny how the European countries with multi-party systems always seem to have surprisingly similar parties?)

CDA isn't really dominated by Catholics though. The Catholics used to be dominant in the first couple of years, but ARP+CHU (the other 2 parties that merged into the CDA) combined weren't much smaller than the KVP. And nowadays the CDA probably is stronger in the Protestant belt than in Limburg or Noord-Brabant. The CDA lost huge amounts of voters in the Southern Netherlands, not just to SP and PVV but also to the VVD.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies