Erasing the Confederacy -How Far Would you Go? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 01:03:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Erasing the Confederacy -How Far Would you Go? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which of the following do you sanction?
Removing the Confederate flag from public grounds and license plates

Removing Confederate monuments from public grounds

Removing Confederate names from roads, bridges, highways, schools, etc

Getting rid of Confederate History Month

Getting rid of Confederate holidays

Forbidding private homeowners from flying the Confederate flag on their property

Other (please specify, in case I missed anything)

NOTA

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 277

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Erasing the Confederacy -How Far Would you Go?  (Read 23777 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: June 17, 2018, 07:43:56 PM »

When I see this kind of stupidity being pushed, it's usually from Yankees North of the Mason-Dixon Line.

Of course. We won, and are thus divorced from anachronistic sympathies for a despotic, ill-fated slaveocracy.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 05:42:33 AM »

When I see this kind of stupidity being pushed, it's usually from Yankees North of the Mason-Dixon Line.

Of course. We won, and are thus divorced from anachronistic sympathies for a despotic, ill-fated slaveocracy.
Well the Confederacy was a bunch of Southern states that spent years in mental asylum (with their problems getting worse every minute) thanks to problems inherent in protecting and supporting the institution on which they had staked their society and economy.

The North won the war for much the same reason why the Bolsheviks won the Russian Civil War - they had the factories, and most of the population.

Gee, you almost make it sound like erecting a treasonous government to defend slavery was actually a bad idea, and hurt the common Southerner in the long run! So curious then that people seem to think the CSA was on their side.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 04:12:58 AM »

Absolutely nothing! History and heritage should be embraced, not erased!

It's not really heritage.
Imagine if, like, I told one of our Israeli Jewish posters that their Israeli heritage isn’t “real.” You might not like the culture and people of the American south, but it is and will always retain a distinctive culture that is separate from the rest of the country.

I'm happy to concede this, but there's plenty about the American South worth celebrating that doesn't tie back to the Confederacy, at least not directly. My favorite American author (Flannery O'Connor) is POINTEDLY Southern and her stories often deal with race (often in ways that are, as they say, products of her time) but only one deals with the Confederacy at all.
I don't disagree entirely. I certainly think the Confederate flag shouldn't fly on state/government property, but for better or for worse, the Confederacy is ingrained in the regional culture and the historical narrative.

Yes, but no outsider would be comfortable with Germany celebrating its 1932-1945 “heritage”, or Russia its 1928-1953 “history”. It is as “ingrained” as every other historical myth that undermines public order and individual liberty. And the narrative is one of a mistake by regional elites at the expense of the average white Southerner who suffered in the post-war economy.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 04:00:25 PM »

@TheRealRight, saying you do not support slavery is immaterial if you defend the CSA.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 07:03:43 AM »

Option 1 only. Anyone who chooses Option 6 is a closeted authoritarian.

“Closeted” is such a restrictive term.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies