Pete Buttigieg 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 04:31:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Pete Buttigieg 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 74
Author Topic: Pete Buttigieg 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 137002 times)
Shadows
YaBB God
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #975 on: November 16, 2019, 09:07:10 PM »

Apparently there are rumours that Pete's campaign leaked the older black people in the South dont want a gay candidate to gain sympathy votes.

This guy will go to any level to win.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #976 on: November 16, 2019, 10:10:15 PM »

Apparently there are rumours that Pete's campaign leaked the older black people in the South dont want a gay candidate to gain sympathy votes.

This guy will go to any level to win.

Is there any actual source for this or just provocateurs on the SandersForPresident subreddit?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #977 on: November 17, 2019, 01:40:59 AM »

All I see is a lot of envy and hatred against Pete Buttigieg in this thread.

Maybe a lot of people on here don’t like the fact that a young gay man has this much of success ?

Yet this is not representative: out in the real world, Mayor Pete has the best favorable ratings of all candidates, so he must be making something right ...

As for African-Americans: he has hired a black communications campaign director and many AAs are active for his campaign as well. He also presented a plan to improve the lives of AA further in the country.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #978 on: November 17, 2019, 02:09:43 AM »

Maybe a lot of people on here don’t like the fact that a young gay man has this much of success ?

Yet this is not representative: out in the real world, Mayor Pete has the best favorable ratings of all candidates, so he must be making something right ...

As for African-Americans: he has hired a black communications campaign director and many AAs are active for his campaign as well. He also presented a plan to improve the lives of AA further in the country.

Oh yes, his amazing plan to get black endorsers by putting anyone who don't reply to his e-mails on the list, or just claiming people are black when they aren't. And then his supporters claim homophobia for why minorities don't support him.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #979 on: November 17, 2019, 04:29:44 AM »

Nope it's certainly not that.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #980 on: November 17, 2019, 11:03:13 AM »

This is why the democrats can't gain any traction even when a very unpopular republican president is in power. Gay people this, black people that. You guys are so busy flinging victim token statuses at each other to actually focus on the issues that matter to the people of this country. If you want to win in November, please, stop making everything about race and gender.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #981 on: November 17, 2019, 11:09:04 AM »

This is why the democrats can't gain any traction even when a very unpopular republican president is in power. Gay people this, black people that. You guys are so busy flinging victim token statuses at each other to actually focus on the issues that matter to the people of this country. If you want to win in November, please, stop making everything about race and gender.

Wow, you're really triggered today.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #982 on: November 17, 2019, 11:12:38 AM »

Yes, using common language to state my opinion makes me triggered. Nice logic there.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #983 on: November 17, 2019, 11:17:57 AM »

Yes, using common language to state my opinion makes me triggered. Nice logic there.

That very first statement of your post is untrue but okay.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #984 on: November 17, 2019, 11:20:43 AM »

That very first statement of your post is untrue but okay.

I disagree. The unfavorable ratings of both parties are devastatingly high.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #985 on: November 17, 2019, 11:28:35 AM »

Imagine a Buttigieg - Trump race. Donald would gain yugely with the blacks, maybe win over 20%!
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #986 on: November 17, 2019, 01:33:25 PM »

As the most vocal anti-Buttigieg person on the thread, this is absolutely absurd. I've advocated for many LGBT politicians on here (including my current Congressman, who has dispelled all my concerns and is the ideal swing state candidate Democrats should be running). I'm attacking him because he's a disastrous right-wing Democrat who will drive away everyone in the party but the upper-class, white voters they're obsessed with reaching. The guy is an automatic loss to Trump.

Posts like yours feed into right-wing narratives about "playing the X card". It's not allyship. It's not supporting the LGBT community, or black people, or women. It's a cynical, self-serving exploitation of serious issues to defend your political beliefs and politicians you agree with. It hurts the credibility of real accusations of homophobia, racism, and sexism from marginalized groups, in politics and in the real world.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #987 on: November 17, 2019, 01:40:44 PM »

As the most vocal anti-Buttigieg person on the thread, this is absolutely absurd. I've advocated for many LGBT politicians on here (including my current Congressman, who has dispelled all my concerns and is the ideal swing state candidate Democrats should be running). I'm attacking him because he's a disastrous right-wing Democrat who will drive away everyone in the party but the upper-class, white voters they're obsessed with reaching. The guy is an automatic loss to Trump.

Posts like yours feed into right-wing narratives about "playing the X card". It's not allyship. It's not supporting the LGBT community, or black people, or women. It's a cynical, self-serving exploitation of serious issues to defend your political beliefs and politicians you agree with. It hurts the credibility of real accusations of homophobia, racism, and sexism from marginalized groups, in politics and in the real world.

You sound anti-gay.  You're making things up about Mayor Pete.  Right wing Democrat?  Lol.  He would be the most Left-Wing nominee in modern Democrat history.  I still support him, but its true.  Just because he's not participating in drag shows doesn't give you the right to attack.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #988 on: November 17, 2019, 02:10:43 PM »
« Edited: November 17, 2019, 02:14:25 PM by gay gay gay bathhouses »

You sound anti-gay.  You're making things up about Mayor Pete.  Right wing Democrat?  Lol.  He would be the most Left-Wing nominee in modern Democrat history.  I still support him, but its true.  Just because he's not participating in drag shows doesn't give you the right to attack.

Let's see... his ideal SC justice is center-right, is marketing himself as the center's answer to Warren, and has been outright right-wing on criminal justice (and enabled rampant corruption in his police department as mayor). If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and it quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck.

There's also the fact that literally everyone who's given me a substantive response but X has been right-wing.
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #989 on: November 17, 2019, 02:31:35 PM »

Mayor Pete is the only Democrat I would vote for that is currently running.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #990 on: November 17, 2019, 02:50:44 PM »

You sound anti-gay.  You're making things up about Mayor Pete.  Right wing Democrat?  Lol.  He would be the most Left-Wing nominee in modern Democrat history.  I still support him, but its true.  Just because he's not participating in drag shows doesn't give you the right to attack.

Speaking as one of the more vocal Buttigieg supporters on Atlas, someone who thinks some of the intensity of the hostility toward him on Atlas* is due just to the fact that he is a threat to Warren in Iowa and made her look bad in a debate, and agrees with you that he'd be a very left-wing nominee,  that's a pretty disgusting smear attempt.  I'm assuming that's what it is because, as Buckley would say, "I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting you really believe what you just said."  

Sawx has always been a consistent and vocal supporter of gay rights if his posting history is anything to go by and I'm pretty confident it is.  Does he sometimes make attacks against Mayor Pete that are pretty out there?  Absolutely and if you're on Atlas long enough, you learn that everyone gets carried away sometimes in Presidential election cycles.  Tensions run high and a lot is at stake.  But to suggest he's some sort of homophobic bigot, I mean, give me a break.  I know you know better than that.  Also, I'm pretty sure Atlas is one place where being gay is not going to hurt a candidate Tongue  

P.S: Why would a homophobe be upset that a candidate didn't go to drag shows?  That part doesn't even make sense on its own terms.

*Although I don't think this is the case with Sawx, I'm pretty sure he genuinely thinks Buttigieg is a neoliberal, pandering empty suit and given that, I don't blame him for opposing Mayor Pete so passionately.  If I shared his view of Buttigieg, I'd be reacting the same way to his surge.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #991 on: November 17, 2019, 03:32:13 PM »

You sound anti-gay.  You're making things up about Mayor Pete.  Right wing Democrat?  Lol.  He would be the most Left-Wing nominee in modern Democrat history.  I still support him, but its true.  Just because he's not participating in drag shows doesn't give you the right to attack.

Speaking as one of the more vocal Buttigieg supporters on Atlas, someone who thinks some of the intensity of the hostility toward him on Atlas* is due just to the fact that he is a threat to Warren in Iowa and made her look bad in a debate, and agrees with you that he'd be a very left-wing nominee,  that's a pretty disgusting smear attempt.  I'm assuming that's what it is because, as Buckley would say, "I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting you really believe what you just said."  

Sawx has always been a consistent and vocal supporter of gay rights if his posting history is anything to go by and I'm pretty confident it is.  Does he sometimes make attacks against Mayor Pete that are pretty out there?  Absolutely and if you're on Atlas long enough, you learn that everyone gets carried away sometimes in Presidential election cycles.  Tensions run high and a lot is at stake.  But to suggest he's some sort of homophobic bigot, I mean, give me a break.  I know you know better than that.  Also, I'm pretty sure Atlas is one place where being gay is not going to hurt a candidate Tongue  

P.S: Why would a homophobe be upset that a candidate didn't go to drag shows?  That part doesn't even make sense on its own terms.

*Although I don't think this is the case with Sawx, I'm pretty sure he genuinely thinks Buttigieg is a neoliberal, pandering empty suit and given that, I don't blame him for opposing Mayor Pete so passionately.  If I shared his view of Buttigieg, I'd be reacting the same way to his surge.

Thats fine.  I'm just annoyed by the smears.  Mayor Buttigieg should be supported/opposed because of his ideas and not his sexuality!
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #992 on: November 17, 2019, 03:36:02 PM »

Thats fine.  I'm just annoyed by the smears.  Mayor Buttigieg should be supported/opposed because of his ideas and not his sexuality!

Sawx's opposition to him has nothing to do with his sexuality.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #993 on: November 17, 2019, 03:38:38 PM »

Maybe.  I'll let it slide.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #994 on: November 17, 2019, 03:46:01 PM »

Maybe.  I'll let it slide.

There's nothing to let slide.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #995 on: November 17, 2019, 05:28:27 PM »

I don’t think much hostility towards Pete in the black community, or from any democratic constituency, is because he’s gay. He just reeks of pandering and blandness. Black people don’t know him, so they don’t trust him, and won’t vote for him. And I’ve soured on him because he flip-flopped from being a lefty with bold ideas for Democracy reform, to the centrist who’s attacking Warren & Sanders for bold ideas on healthcare that HE SUPPORTED EARLIER IN THE RACE.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #996 on: November 17, 2019, 06:24:25 PM »

I don’t think much hostility towards Pete in the black community, or from any democratic constituency, is because he’s gay. He just reeks of pandering and blandness. Black people don’t know him, so they don’t trust him, and won’t vote for him. And I’ve soured on him because he flip-flopped from being a lefty with bold ideas for Democracy reform, to the centrist who’s attacking Warren & Sanders for bold ideas on healthcare that HE SUPPORTED EARLIER IN THE RACE.

He only supported those ideas because he thought he had to in order to be elected.
Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #997 on: November 17, 2019, 06:49:57 PM »

Mayor Pete is now a top tier candidate!
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #998 on: November 17, 2019, 07:13:29 PM »

He only supported those ideas because he thought he had to in order to be elected.

And that’s a problem. When you take on positions and espouse policies just so you can win elections, you show that you don’t deserve to win said elections. Convictions matter. I don’t support Biden or Klobuchar, but I think they genuinely don’t believe M4A is a workable healthcare plan. Pete just listens to his consultants and political commentators and decides to do what’s politically expedient. That’s the kinda leadership we had in the ‘90s. That’s not the kinda leadership we need in 2020 and beyond.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #999 on: November 17, 2019, 07:54:15 PM »

And that’s a problem. When you take on positions and espouse policies just so you can win elections, you show that you don’t deserve to win said elections. Convictions matter. I don’t support Biden or Klobuchar, but I think they genuinely don’t believe M4A is a workable healthcare plan. Pete just listens to his consultants and political commentators and decides to do what’s politically expedient. That’s the kinda leadership we had in the ‘90s. That’s not the kinda leadership we need in 2020 and beyond.

If you think any of these people really have convictions, I have a bridge in Alaska to sell you.  Its all about finding the political sellout who best suits you.  Sorry to burst any Burnie Bubbles around here.  Hes just as bad as the rest.  How do you think you become a US Senator?
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies