Pete Buttigieg 2020 campaign megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:11:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Pete Buttigieg 2020 campaign megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 74
Author Topic: Pete Buttigieg 2020 campaign megathread  (Read 136995 times)
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1050 on: November 22, 2019, 03:56:35 PM »

His defeat in 2010 doesn't count, because 2010 was an extreme GOP year and especially in IN, where Republicans gained the Senate seat in this election and had a swing of 9% in their favour in the combined US House vote, while Dems lost 13%. They also dominated all other statewide offices.

He ran statewide once and got crushed unlike Evan Bayh or Joe Donnelly.

You are also comparing apples with oranges: Bayh and Donnelly didn't run in 2010.

He’s getting a free pass from the media.
He lost by 25 points. Name me a democrat that is running for higher office that lost by 25 Pts??? Name me one Democrat
What about the lying ads and fake endorsements? You approve sending emails and if they don’t opt out it counts as an endorsement? Again not covered by the mainstream media.
What about editing and copying photos of black children with Pete again not real but photoshopped.
I smell a rat. This sounds an awful lot like the fake smear attacks on Hillary that the left picked up from fake russian trolls. And it is coming from a brand new poster. Where’s the evidence for these claims?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1051 on: November 22, 2019, 04:01:00 PM »

Pete Buttigieg has the best chance to be Prez
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1052 on: November 22, 2019, 04:50:12 PM »
« Edited: November 22, 2019, 04:53:35 PM by GeneralMacArthur »

It's not his fault that he can't win statewide in Indiana, and it should not be considered a knock against him for that being an objective fact. Also, Mourdock's rape comments came after his race against Pete.

The latter two comments are fair criticisms, but I think dismissing Pete as an "empty suit who will not deliver on his promises" is a bit of an unfair shake to him, though I agree he absolutely should address these concerns and do more to make the case that he's not just some focus group politician.

Evan Bayh was an ex-Governor and senator from Indiana. He was in the final 3 (Biden, Bath and Sebelius) to be VP. Bayh was a coin flip from being Obamas vp.

Jon Tester (Montana), Bob Casey Jr (Pennsylvania), Sherrod Brown (Ohio) and Amy Klobuchar (Minnesota) have consistently outran every democrat in their states and when they win pundits brush it under the carpet. It shows how skilful they are as politicians that they can build coalitions of different voting groups.

Pete should run to be governor of Indiana. The democratic field has so much choice and I do understand Pete buttegieg support - lobbyists have given him cash, he’s spending 10 to 1 in Iowa according to Bernie sanders campaign

Also, for good measure, the other time he threw the election to a Republican by running as a spoiler:

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1053 on: November 22, 2019, 05:11:18 PM »

Holcomb, Parsons, Foxx and Sununu are gonna be elected come 2020 and reelected. Just like people said Cornyn was vulnerable and he is likely to be reelected
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1054 on: November 22, 2019, 05:19:13 PM »

GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1055 on: November 22, 2019, 05:29:21 PM »

Oh ok, I get it.

It's really bad for a candidate to run for president when they lost a race by 25 points.

But if that race was more than 25 years ago, then it's ok.  Even if it wasn't just one race but five in a row lost.

Buttigieg lost to Mourdock in 2010, 9 years ago.  So I take it we're specifically looking for candidates who lost by >25 points within nine years of running for president?

Hmm, where could we find such a man.

Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1056 on: November 22, 2019, 05:37:54 PM »

Who said I agreed with MissScarlett?

I just saw a debate and chose not to respond because R2D2 and peenie-weenie already did a good enough job. You went on an irrelevant non-sequitur about Bernie, assuming that she was a Bernie supporter (if you read her posts you'd know this wasn't the case), and I gave it the response it deserved.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1057 on: November 22, 2019, 06:20:42 PM »

I just saw a debate and chose not to respond because R2D2 and peenie-weenie already did a good enough job. You went on an irrelevant non-sequitur about Bernie, assuming that she was a Bernie supporter (if you read her posts you'd know this wasn't the case), and I gave it the response it deserved.

Oh I get it, you've been following me around the forum all day posting anime pictures just for funzies.

Sorry I thought you were actually trying to participate in the conversation.
cvparty
United States

« Reply #1058 on: November 22, 2019, 06:35:31 PM »

It's not his fault that he can't win statewide in Indiana, and it should not be considered a knock against him for that being an objective fact. Also, Mourdock's rape comments came after his race against Pete.

The latter two comments are fair criticisms, but I think dismissing Pete as an "empty suit who will not deliver on his promises" is a bit of an unfair shake to him, though I agree he absolutely should address these concerns and do more to make the case that he's not just some focus group politician.

Evan Bayh was an ex-Governor and senator from Indiana. He was in the final 3 (Biden, Bath and Sebelius) to be VP. Bayh was a coin flip from being Obamas vp.

Jon Tester (Montana), Bob Casey Jr (Pennsylvania), Sherrod Brown (Ohio) and Amy Klobuchar (Minnesota) have consistently outran every democrat in their states and when they win pundits brush it under the carpet. It shows how skilful they are as politicians that they can build coalitions of different voting groups.

Pete should run to be governor of Indiana. The democratic field has so much choice and I do understand Pete buttegieg support - lobbyists have given him cash, he’s spending 10 to 1 in Iowa according to Bernie sanders campaign

Also, for good measure, the other time he threw the election to a Republican by running as a spoiler:

omg thanks for showing us that independents almost never win
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #1059 on: November 22, 2019, 06:36:48 PM »

Correction: The Democrat acted as a spoiler
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1060 on: November 22, 2019, 06:38:26 PM »

His defeat in 2010 doesn't count, because 2010 was an extreme GOP year and especially in IN, where Republicans gained the Senate seat in this election and had a swing of 9% in their favour in the combined US House vote, while Dems lost 13%. They also dominated all other statewide offices.

He ran statewide once and got crushed unlike Evan Bayh or Joe Donnelly.

You are also comparing apples with oranges: Bayh and Donnelly didn't run in 2010.

He’s getting a free pass from the media.
He lost by 25 points. Name me a democrat that is running for higher office that lost by 25 Pts??? Name me one Democrat
What about the lying ads and fake endorsements? You approve sending emails and if they don’t opt out it counts as an endorsement? Again not covered by the mainstream media.
What about editing and copying photos of black children with Pete again not real but photoshopped.

Well Biden got like 1% of the vote in the last election he was the primary candidate for back in 2008.

And he got destroyed in Deleware to an rather unknown Senator from Illinois.

Biden dropped out way before Delaware.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1061 on: November 22, 2019, 06:43:39 PM »

There are legitimate arguments why Buttigieg should not be the Democratic nominee in 2020, but "lol he lost as an unknown down-ballot candidate in a solidly-Republican state in a Republican wave year" is not one of them.
GAProgressive
Rookie

« Reply #1062 on: November 22, 2019, 06:44:06 PM »

I noticed a lot of apathy and vague curiosity towards Pete while he was at Morehouse and apparently his barber shop pop in was a bit awkward.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1063 on: November 22, 2019, 06:50:35 PM »
« Edited: November 23, 2019, 05:10:19 AM by punching violence in the face »

Oh I get it, you've been following me around the forum all day posting anime pictures just for funzies.

Sorry I thought you were actually trying to participate in the conversation.

Two posters, two different sides of the pyramid.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1064 on: November 22, 2019, 07:05:29 PM »

There are legitimate arguments why Buttigieg should not be the Democratic nominee in 2020, but "lol he lost as an unknown down-ballot candidate in a solidly-Republican state in a Republican wave year" is not one of them.

Agreed, nobody is going to care that he lost a race for state Treasurer. Most Americans probably don't even know what a Treasurer does. Do they protect us from pirates?
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1065 on: November 22, 2019, 08:11:18 PM »

GeneralMcBezos, do you ever get tired of being a NPC concern troll?
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #1066 on: November 23, 2019, 04:04:34 PM »

Looks like the Democrat won two of those anyway, and in a third, adding in Sanders' votes wouldn't have put the Democrat over 50%. In the fourth, Sanders came in second, so the Democrat was actually the one who threw the election to the GOP.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1067 on: November 23, 2019, 04:12:30 PM »

But, but, but ... Pete is sooo anti-Black:

GAProgressive
Rookie

« Reply #1068 on: November 24, 2019, 12:02:01 AM »

Wild seeing myself in the background of one of his online ads.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1069 on: November 24, 2019, 01:41:54 AM »

Did he leave a positive impression on you?
GAProgressive
Rookie

« Reply #1070 on: November 24, 2019, 03:03:05 PM »

Hmmm.

I'd say so, yeah. He definitely felt a bit artificial but he sure is smart as hell and seems to have a good hold on himself.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1071 on: November 24, 2019, 08:19:41 PM »

Hmmm.

I'd say so, yeah. He definitely felt a bit artificial but he sure is smart as hell and seems to have a good hold on himself.
Artificial in what sense?  I get the feeling that he's an egghead type like Warren, but he's a bit more "humble Miidwestern" about it.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1072 on: November 25, 2019, 07:34:39 AM »

I’m still astounded how a mayor of a small city from the industrial Midwest with 1/35,000ths the net worth of the current president can somehow come off as more elitist than the current New York billionaire occupying the White House. That’s very hard to do.

Don't forget: he's also more racist than the guy who gave a eulogy for Strom Thurmond and proudly proclaimed that his state was a slave state
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #1073 on: November 25, 2019, 11:13:44 PM »

There is video where Mayor Pete a few years back is blaming black families not having a role model for the inequities in education.

He is probably the most anti-American American candidate to run for the Dem nomination in decades.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1074 on: November 25, 2019, 11:34:30 PM »

There is video where Mayor Pete a few years back is blaming black families not having a role model for the inequities in education.

He is probably the most anti-American American candidate to run for the Dem nomination in decades.

Link?
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies