January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 11:38:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 150
Poll
Question: Will Trump be convicted in his DC January 6 case?
He will be convicted

He won't be convicted

He should be convicted

He should not be convicted

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 66

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: January 6th legal proceedings and investigations megathread  (Read 139856 times)
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #525 on: January 23, 2022, 10:28:47 PM »

Virginia's new Republican Attorney General, Jason Miyares, is doing everything he can to undermine the January 6th investigative committee, starting by firing the lawyers who are working for it (who are under his control):

Va.’s new attorney general fires U-Va. counsel who was on leave working as top investigator for Jan. 6 panel

Virginia’s new Republican attorney general has fired the University of Virginia’s counsel, who was on leave from the job to work as the top investigator for the U.S. House panel investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, insurrection at the Capitol, the attorney and university said.

Tim Heaphy, who had worked at the state’s flagship university for about three years, was among roughly 30 staffers who were let go by Attorney General Jason S. Miyares shortly before he took office a little over a week ago. Democrats have questioned the firings and how they were carried out.

Victoria LaCivita, a Miyares spokeswoman, said the attorney general’s office had also fired the counsel for George Mason University, Brian Walther, saying it is common for an incoming attorney general to appoint counsel that shares its “philosophy and legal approach.”

Both Heaphy and Walther are Democrats.

LaCivita declined to say whether any other counsels at Virginia’s more than three dozen public colleges and universities had been let go.

Actions like this are why I despise anyone who identifies as a Republican, whether they "support Trump" or not. The Republican Party is supporting Trump. Being a Republican means enabling Trump and everything he stands for: corruption, destruction of the rule of law, and the end of our Republic.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #526 on: January 23, 2022, 11:01:32 PM »

I don’t see how that undermines Heaphy’s work for the J6 committee. The AG can’t stop him from continuing to work for them.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #527 on: January 23, 2022, 11:10:25 PM »
« Edited: January 23, 2022, 11:34:16 PM by Frodo »

I don’t see how that undermines Heaphy’s work for the J6 committee. The AG can’t stop him from continuing to work for them.

The Attorney General received contributions during the campaign from the Republican Attorneys General Association which promoted the lie that the 2020 election was stolen from Trump and promoted the January 6th rally that turned into an insurrection.  On top of this backdrop, he just fired Heaphey from his main job, his primary source of income.  It is no coincidence that both lawyers are connected to the January 6th committee.  There will probably be more firings to follow shortly.  
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #528 on: January 24, 2022, 04:47:09 PM »

Not specifically January 6, but one of the investigations into Trump's efforts to steal the election:

Fulton County (GA) DA requests special grand jury for Trump probe

The special grand jury has been approved by a panel of Fulton County judges and will be impaneled on May 2.  Link
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #529 on: January 24, 2022, 04:56:34 PM »

Brandon Straka got sentenced today.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ZoeTillman/status/1485677928406994947

Quite a good sentence, even for snitching to the FBI
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #530 on: January 25, 2022, 02:00:38 PM »

Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #531 on: January 25, 2022, 05:05:38 PM »

Well yes, but he’s just been fired from his civil service job for cooperating with a federal investigation.
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #532 on: January 27, 2022, 02:02:14 AM »

Oath Keepers leader denied bail on Capitol riot sedition charge
    U.S. Magistrate Judge Kimberly Priest Johnson expressed concern in the 17-page detention order that Rhodes could be a flight risk, noting the Oath Keepers co-founder had installed "elaborate escape tunnels" in his backyard.
    "The evidence shows Defendant orchestrated a large-scale attack on the federal government with the purpose of intimidating, by violence, federal officials and disrupting official governmental proceedings incident to the transfer of power in the Executive Branch following a national election," the judge added.

"On balance, the evidence in the record overall indicates Defendant's release could endanger the safety and wellbeing of others. This factor weighs in favor of detention ... [Rhodes' alleged] authoritative role in the conspiracy, access to substantial weaponry, and ability to finance any future insurrection, combined with his continued advocacy for violence against the federal government."

— Judge Kimberly Priest Johnson
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #533 on: January 28, 2022, 02:10:49 PM »

I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #534 on: January 28, 2022, 02:52:46 PM »

He faces up to 20 years now!
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #535 on: January 31, 2022, 06:55:29 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/31/politics/trump-torn-documents/index.html

The staff at the National Archives had to tape some of the documents back together because they were ripped up.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #536 on: January 31, 2022, 06:58:47 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/31/politics/trump-torn-documents/index.html

The staff at the National Archives had to tape some of the documents back together because they were ripped up.
Notably the Archives' statement says they were ripped up by Trump himself. At first glanced I assumed it was some sort of an administration/West Wing effort to destroy documents.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #537 on: January 31, 2022, 06:58:58 PM »

Some past reports have suggested that Short was very much not a fan of Trump, so I'm sure he held nothing back from the committee.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #538 on: January 31, 2022, 10:50:37 PM »

Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #539 on: February 01, 2022, 12:33:22 AM »

I don’t think think there is a better summary of everything wrong with the political/voting culture in this country then the fact that substance wise the 01/06th committee is probably the most damning investigation into a president and nobody gives a crap
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #540 on: February 01, 2022, 12:35:09 AM »

I don’t think think there is a better summary of everything wrong with the political/voting culture in this country then the fact that substance wise the 01/06th committee is probably the most damning investigation into a president and nobody gives a crap

Yelling about Russia for 5 years had its cost.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #541 on: February 01, 2022, 12:45:31 AM »

If I started telling you that Trump is a neocon would you stop gaslighting on Russiagate?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #542 on: February 01, 2022, 12:51:13 AM »

If I started telling you that Trump is a neocon would you stop gaslighting on Russiagate?

I'd tell you to stop beating the dead horse of Russia, but it's been pulverized years ago.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #543 on: February 01, 2022, 12:58:21 AM »

I'd tell you to stop beating the dead horse of Russia, but it's been pulverized years ago.
I didn’t bring Russia up, you did so who is actually beating a dead horse here? 🧐
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #544 on: February 01, 2022, 01:52:04 AM »

I didn’t bring Russia up, you did so who is actually beating a dead horse here? 🧐

My point is that it's a large part of why no one takes these investigations seriously.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #545 on: February 01, 2022, 01:58:25 AM »

My point is that it's a large part of why no one takes these investigations seriously.
“It’s all you mainstream Dems fault and the fact that supposed leftist like me, Glenn Greenwald, Matt Taibbi, Katie Hapler, and others spent the past 5 years running defense for Trump on this and his other scandals even though there is more evidence of his guilt on this then half of the crap we dragged Hillary Clinton on played no role at all.”
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #546 on: February 01, 2022, 02:15:08 AM »

“It’s all you mainstream Dems fault and the fact that supposed leftist like me, Glenn Greenwald, Matt Taibbi, Katie Hapler, and others spent the past 5 years running defense for Trump on this and his other scandals even though there is more evidence of his guilt on this then half of the crap we dragged Hillary Clinton on played no role at all.”

None of those people changed the basic facts.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #547 on: February 01, 2022, 02:34:25 AM »

LPT: Having jfern on ignore is necessary to make browsing the forum tolerable.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #548 on: February 01, 2022, 11:02:59 AM »

But he's not wrong.  Russia Russia Russia 24/7/365 makes people tune out, and they're clearly tuned out with the 01/06 committee.
Vaccinated Russian Bear
Russian Bear
Junior Chimp
« Reply #549 on: February 01, 2022, 11:21:18 AM »

But he's not wrong.  Russia Russia Russia 24/7/365 makes people tune out, and they're clearly tuned out with the 01/06 committee.

Who would know that crying wolf would have a side effects, hehe.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 150  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies