Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 03:09:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread (search mode)
Thread note
ATTENTION: Please note that copyright rules still apply to posts in this thread. You cannot post entire articles verbatim. Please select only a couple paragraphs or snippets that highlights the point of what you are posting.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Russia-Ukraine war and related tensions Megathread  (Read 911778 times)
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: February 15, 2022, 07:21:28 PM »

Doesn’t mean we can’t find it entertaining/exciting. I know I will.

We could be on the brink of something that will change this world forever. Isn’t that something to get your adrenaline running?
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2022, 07:54:44 PM »

Let’s be honest: literally no one weird would’ve supported declaring war on the USSR in 1939/1940 despite all their forceful expansionist activities.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2022, 08:58:37 PM »

We could be on the brink of something that will change this world forever. Isn’t that something to get your adrenaline running?
This is something a psychopath would say, when a humanitarian disaster and a war is on the verge of happening. It is not "entertaining" or "exciting."
Humanitarian disasters and wars are fertile grounds for revolution.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2022, 09:12:30 PM »

The world's better off as it is.
On the issue of “right to conquest” vs “right to territorial integrity”, I must go with the latter, so Russia is undoubtedly in the wrong here and shouldn’t invade. But that doesn’t mean that opportunity doesn’t come with wrong doing.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2022, 09:19:50 PM »
« Edited: February 15, 2022, 09:58:56 PM by TheReckoning »

Well, sure, but if I want my adrenaline running I can just do some exercise or watch an action movie. I don't particularly want the threat of mass death to enter into it.
Full disclaimer: I’m not going to say I’m not being naive here- maybe I am, and maybe I’m letting my adventurous spirit getting in the way of my rational and ethical mind.

I typically view times of strife and challenge as times for opportunity and the furthering of myself and humanity.

But of course, that’s ignoring just how severe that strife/challenge can be in terms of consequence, which often end up destroying opportunities and holding back myself and humanity.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2022, 01:48:03 AM »

My pro-Russian sources have told me that today is important, lots of disturbing news. Don't sleep tonight
Considering this is your POV, you mean Russia doesn’t invade?
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2022, 10:13:28 PM »

Does anyone else here find it possible that if Ukraine is invaded, they surrender Donetsk and surrounding territories without even fighting? That’s what Romania did with Bessarabia when the Soviets Occupied it in 1940.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2022, 12:14:23 PM »

Anyone else suspicious this is a false flag operation?
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2022, 02:36:31 PM »

Bigserg should be unmuted imo
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2022, 06:26:26 PM »

We need to unmute Bigserg in order to get his opinions on all this.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2022, 02:41:58 AM »

Ukraine should give up Donbass at this point, and give up NATO membership as well, in exchange for continued sovereignty. If Russia pushes further, surrender without fighting.

An analogy is this: when being robbed, you give up exactly what the robber asks for. Your possessions aren’t worth your life. Similarily, Ukraine’s sovereignty is not worth having hundreds of thousands of people die.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2022, 11:22:16 PM »

Pretty sure Seuss didn’t intend to support imperialism with this comic.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2022, 11:26:10 PM »

If Ukraine wants self defense, that is their imperative. But then they aren’t saving “foreign children.”
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2022, 11:30:10 PM »

If Ukraine wants self defense, that is their imperative. But then they aren’t saving “foreign children.”

Is there a single point about this cartoon that you have failed to grasp? You are Is literally batting like oh for 3 right now..
The USA, or any country for that matter, should not go to war on the behalf of Ukraine.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2022, 11:32:45 PM »

The USA, or any country for that matter, should not go to war on the behalf of Ukraine.

Congrats, you are the exact type of person that the comic is mocking.

I oppose imperialism. And I’m proud of it.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2022, 11:53:52 PM »

For the record, I support a conditional Lend-Lease situation for Ukraine, to ensure it is only done for defense purposes and not offense. If need be, NATO troops can move in as well.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2022, 01:14:20 AM »

May every Russian  Soldier who enters the Ukraine catch a bullet through the eye socket.  Every. God. Damned. One.

There, I said it.

Not very Christ-like of you, Badger.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2022, 01:17:13 AM »

May every Russian  Soldier who enters the Ukraine catch a bullet through the eye socket.  Every. God. Damned. One.

There, I said it.

Not very Christ-like of you, Badger.

Piss off.

In your heart, you know I’m right.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2022, 01:21:37 AM »

Won’t Sactions just cripple the lives of everyday Russians instead of actually ending the war?
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2022, 01:27:25 AM »

Won’t Sactions just cripple the lives of everyday Russians instead of actually ending the war?

Hopefully it hurts their lives enough that they stop supporting Putin.

Russia isn’t a democracy. Short of violent revolution, 99% of Russia could despise Putin and it wouldn’t make a real difference.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2022, 01:32:09 AM »

Russia isn’t a democracy. Short of violent revolution, 99% of Russia could despise Putin and it wouldn’t make a real difference.

But what if the oligarchs are angered that their wealth has been confiscated, and the generals are angered that the Ukraine war has become an unending insurgency? If I had to guess, this will be the long-term end game.

Indeed. But that’s not done with run-of-the-mill sanctions.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2022, 12:22:58 PM »

Sanctions won’t do anything, a rocket will be more of a deterrent than a sanction ever would!

Some of us don’t want to see Armageddon during our lifetime, you see.

Also, where are all the anti-Imperialist leftists in this thread?
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2022, 12:50:12 PM »

Also, where are all the anti-Imperialist leftists in this thread?

"Imperialism is when a country is EU-aligned. The more EU-aligned it is, the imperialister it is."

I’m talking about specific posters like Big Abraham and PSOL. Seriously, where are they?
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2022, 02:36:20 PM »

Anyone wishing for a war of annihilation for the sake of “winning” is a psychopath, regardless of which side they want destroyed.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2022, 02:42:02 PM »

Anyone wishing for a war of annihilation for the sake of “winning” is a psychopath, regardless of which side they want destroyed.

Being contrarian all of the time is the laziest intellectual position imaginable. Just stop.

We have people like Forumlurker who literally want to send Russia back to the Stone Age and kill whoever they view as an enemy. Opposing this isn’t being a “contrarian,” it’s standing up for what’s right. What Russia is pulling right now is evil without a doubt, and Ukraine should have international support, but fantasizes about destruction aren’t right.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies