Convention Poll 1: Universal Participation (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 04:03:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Convention Poll 1: Universal Participation (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: If a Lower House was created to allow all citizens to debate and vote on legislation, would you participate?
Yes, a great deal

Yes, a bit and I would vote

Yes, infrequently

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 23

Author Topic: Convention Poll 1: Universal Participation  (Read 1895 times)
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: March 29, 2009, 10:41:38 AM »
« edited: March 29, 2009, 10:49:12 AM by Mideast Assembly Speaker Purple State »

In the Convention we are discussing the possibility of a Lower House in Atlasia, in which all citizens would automatically be given a seat and be allowed to debate legislation and vote. If such an institution existed as part of the overall government in Atlasia, to what degree would you participate?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2009, 03:49:18 PM »

You've all, in a way, missed exactly what this poll accomplishes. Of course, if I say what it does then it will defeat the purpose of having it. I am going to close the poll by Wednesday at the lastest and then I'll let you know exactly what its purpose is.

Marokai, suffice to say it goes along with some of your thinking.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 08:34:21 PM »

Realistically, a properly-working bicameral legislature would have 15 members total, not just 15 in the upper house. That's just me though.

Also, on further thought I would not participate in a universal system, due to the ridiculous inactivity of a universal lower house. I came up with an alternate idea for a bicameral congress which I guess I'll keep around for the fifth convention.

We can always change the proposals by voting and motions. Feel free to propose it in whichever of the current models you think it could fit best. There has been no discussion in one of the threads (I forget which one off the top of my head), so perhaps an idea to change it up a bit would get it moving.

Worth a try.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 11:07:53 AM »

Nothing would ever be able to be passed or in very rare situations. Imagine how many votes you'd need to pass anything and how innactive most people would be.

Majority vote and no quorum. But that sorta puts debate power in the hands of those who are always active, while some members could mobilize zombies for vote power whenever the mood strikes them. Universalism straight is becoming less and less appealing, but the current compromise being struck in the Convention is a promising starting point.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies