NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 05:45:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NY 2022 - Zeldin/Esposito, Libertarian & WFP updates  (Read 115410 times)
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« on: September 03, 2020, 06:38:45 PM »

I think the more interesting question in regards to Cuomo, is will he (again) face a primary challenge?

AOC could run, Jumaane Williams could run, De Blasio could run at him from the left, and so could half the New York City Council.

None of them would win. AOC could keep it relatively close, but would still lose by 10+ points.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2021, 02:38:25 PM »

Cuomo journalist now expecting resignation.

The sooner, the better.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2021, 03:44:12 PM »

New York State Young Democrats calls for Cuomo's resignation.

This strikes me as pretty significant. Is there actually a chance of Cuomo resigning?
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2021, 09:26:36 PM »

Honestly, only having 65% of Dems approving is a terrible number. If you look at the approval of basically every other Dem official, they get 90+% support. Even semi-controversial figures like Newsom get 90+% among Dems.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2021, 07:39:18 PM »

Speaking of Virginia:

Also, new news:

Ralph Northam has forfeited the right to comment on any other Governor's scandals, quite frankly.

It was a quote by Cuomo about Northam from 2019.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2021, 07:50:19 PM »

Speaking of Virginia:

Also, new news:

Ralph Northam has forfeited the right to comment on any other Governor's scandals, quite frankly.

It was a quote by Cuomo about Northam from 2019.

Which makes Cuomo a hypocrite. Still doesn't change my feelings on Northam though.

Literally no one on this site likes Northam

I'd go as far to say that not a single person on the planet earth likes Northam.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2021, 08:11:15 PM »

How many votes do they need? Is it a simple majority like at the federal level?
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2021, 04:55:51 PM »

A lot of people think this is a setup, I am just saying.

Six women?

"A lot of people think"... who exactly thinks that?
What's their evidence? That's also a phrase Trump used for his talking points, trying to give them more credibility.
I know it's a bronz post, but parts of the "blue MAGA crowd" in the Politico and NYT comment sections legitimately believe that:

Told you.....
Agreeing with the blue MAGA crowd which actually believes Manchin should be expelled from the Democratic caucus and become a Republican doesn't really increase the validity/credibility of your statement...

I don't think there's really a lot of overlap between Cuomo stans and people who think Manchin should be kicked out of the caucus. I would assume super pro-Cuomo people would be moderates.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2021, 12:44:40 PM »

So was this a coordinated thing among the NYDEM House delegation? It really feels like the walls are closing in for him.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2021, 08:15:01 PM »

Assuming Cuomo was impeached instead of resigning, what would be the impeachable offence against him?

From a quick look at the allegations, I am not sure if the allegations of sexual harrassment qualify as a crime? (as opposed to say, rape, which is 100% a crime). I have no idea where the line gets drawn for sexual harrassment in legal terms, it could also be that sexual harrassment simply doesn't get prosecuted enough or that I am wrongly understanding the accusations, but being a creep is not illegal? The covid scandal could be the one though.

He definitely should resign though

I would assume abuse of power, given that he used his power as governor to pressure these women, but the actual charge is really irrelevant. If Democrats want Cuomo gone, it doesn't matter what they impeach him with, he's gone.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2021, 10:08:32 PM »

I am really wondering what the political strategy is for the Democrats. Who is the establishmen's preferred Governor?

Hochul for sure. Or maybe Tish James.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2021, 10:47:45 AM »

Endorsed if Cuomo wins the nomination.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2021, 10:48:11 AM »

A (maybe not so) crazy thought: If Cuomo doesn't resign and get impeached, could there be an opening for HRC to primary the corrupt dude out? I know she said to be done with running 4 office, but she's actually someone who could beat Cuomo in a primary. Would also give her the chance for a political rehabilitation and actually enacting her policies into law. That may even be "easier" than POTUS since there wouldn't be hostile legislative branch under GOP control.

There seems to be a decent chance Cuomo is sitting the scandals out and running anyway. Tbh, I don't want to put the fate of taking him down on Bill DeBlasio or Jumaane Williams. These are too weak to take Mr. Cuomo down. Not even DiNapoli, James or Hochul, assuming they publically break with him. HRC has 100% name rec, a strong network of supporters and donors. She would win a primary against Cuomo.

She would absolutely win the primary, but there's no way she runs. I do take issue with your view of other potential challengers though, I think Jumaane Williams and Tish James could both win a primary, with James being the stronger one. I also wouldn't rule out an independent run by someone like Williams on the WFP line, although that's much less likely to succeed.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2021, 11:02:52 AM »

Hillary would be a good governor, but the RGA would spend millions in NY

Malliotakis or Lazio or someone would run against her

But if a retread like Rick Lazio reemerges, it would lead to a Zeldin or a Palumbo or some other rightwinger to run....

Then the RGA might as well light their money on fire, because there is no way Clinton would lose. Plus Cinton already beat Lazio in 2000, when NY was much less blue.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2021, 11:42:27 AM »

Stefanik is future House leadership. She will not be making a suicide run for Governor.

This helps to explain why she's moved so far-right in the past few years. It's an effort to curry the favor of the Republican base, and to consolidate her support among her colleagues for when she eventually makes her leadership bid.

I think it'll backfire on her. She didn't have much of a profile before, but since she's become so vocally awful, NY Dems have a good reason to nuke her district.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2021, 11:19:53 AM »

Seems like a very solid choice, although I am disappointed Jumaane didn’t get it.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2021, 02:56:41 PM »

I don't see James winning a primary. The state Dems will unite around Hochul.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2021, 05:23:45 PM »

Jumaane is awesome and I fully endorse him. That being said, he's going to lose until other prominent Dems run and he squeaks by off a plurality.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2021, 10:29:59 AM »

What reason does Suozzi have to challenge Hochul? Williams and de Blasio are to her left, but Suozzi and Hochul are from basically the same wing of the party. It's just blatant opportunism from an unimpressive politician whose ego is way bigger than it has any right to be. I can't imagine the level delusion required to give up a safe congressional seat to make a suicide run against an incumbent governor.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2021, 11:14:03 PM »

Three NYC candidates vs. one Upstate? I think Hochul has this in the bag, especially being the incumbent.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2021, 03:11:48 PM »

There has to have been some sort of backroom deal here. James' campaign is just as hopeless now as it was when she announced, there was no reason for her to back out unless she had some sort of epiphany about her chances, which I seriously doubt. Maybe Hochul agreed not to run in 2026?
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2022, 09:37:16 PM »

It sounds to me like he's either aiming for the Presidential race or the Senate race in 2024.

There's no way he's delusional enough to think he could go for Prez.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2023, 02:13:08 AM »

This is a great start to Hochul’s first actual term. I wouldn’t be surprised if she doesn’t run for re-election, but that’s still 3 years away

I wouldn't be shocked if Assembly/Senate retaliate with impeachment for this. They probably have the votes if they really want to go there (the entire progressive wing, most normal liberal D's, all Republicans).

That's a pretty huge leap. This is obviously bad for Hochul, but she hasn't broken any laws, and there's really no grounds for impeachment.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies