Is Andrew Cuomo a European conservative?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 04:06:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Is Andrew Cuomo a European conservative?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Is Andrew Cuomo a European conservative?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: Is Andrew Cuomo a European conservative?  (Read 1044 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 24, 2013, 01:48:14 AM »
« edited: January 24, 2013, 01:58:46 AM by The Most Beautiful Bitter Fruit »

It's true when people say the Democrats are equivalent to European conservative parties it's an extreme oversimplification, focuses only a narrow scope of issues, and ignores lots of other factors such as the electoral systems and political process in the respective country. But I think it actually applies to Cuomo pretty well. As I noted in another thread, is there any significant difference between him and David Cameron?

The only difference I can see is that Cuomo is probably more pro-immigration, though I'd imagine he'd do any type of immigration reform in a more pro-business way (just like Bush in that aspect then basically.)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 01:57:17 AM »

Basically.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 05:40:09 AM »

Socially, he's to the left of European conservatives. But no doubt he'd be one of them.
Mallory
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 08:01:46 AM »

From what I can see, he is more socially liberal than - say - David Cameron, particularly on drugs. Energy is certainly another area where he seems to be focused more on exploiting "green alternatives". Cameron on the other hand, having started out as a "green conservative", has now swung back towards more traditional energy whilst pushing shale and nuclear. Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, is Cuomo seems to be more open towards higher taxes. Whilst the current Conservative-Liberal coalition in the UK is restricting the lowering of taxes, it is likely that a majority Conservative government would seek to create a flatter, simpler tax system.

I would also add that you have to remember that David Cameron and most other European Conservative leaders are to the left of their party as a whole. Many mainstream UK Conservatives for example, would identify much more with Republicans - especially on financial issues, but some would also identify with the more socially conservative viewpoints on equal marriage, abortion, death penalty etc. etc.

As for Cameron personally, he would either fit into the New England Republicans or Conservative Democrats. But you can't really compare.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 08:29:16 AM »

No, he's not a European.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 09:10:02 AM »

No, he's an American centrist.