Do you think Russia should withdraw from Ukraine?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 06:20:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Do you think Russia should withdraw from Ukraine?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you think Russia should withdraw from Ukraine?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 99

Author Topic: Do you think Russia should withdraw from Ukraine?  (Read 1194 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 10, 2023, 06:13:30 AM »

The Russians have lost much of the land they took in the opening days of the war, and have had extreme losses as well.  The political/symbolic decision to hold Ukraine is overriding any sense.

This is worrying as Russia needs to show results to it's oligarchy to maintain support and coming offensives won't be easy.

Unless the Russians are willing to cut loose enough forces to have a decisive impact, committing additional troops piecemeal is a waste of scarce manpower.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2023, 08:30:40 AM »

Yeah they should cut their losses now before it’s too late
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2023, 10:34:47 AM »

Three no votes - Woody, jaichind and Hollywood?
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2023, 12:20:27 PM »

Four now, Red Velvet (our resident spokesperson for the Global South) may have joined them.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2023, 09:07:23 PM »

yeah they should pack up and take their sorry asses back to moscow and hand all their fat cat leaders over to the ICC
Kamala's side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2023, 09:08:37 PM »

Four now, Red Velvet (our resident spokesperson for the Global South) may have joined them.

A bit ironic considering how much grain Ukraine exports to the Global South (although I'm not sure how much of this is mid-2022 propaganda)

SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2023, 09:58:02 PM »

They should, but they won't. No matter what happens, they'll keep launching missiles at civilian infrastructure.
RFK 2024
BasedSanta
Canada

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2023, 11:56:11 PM »

Of course they should, but given how much they have invested in it they won't
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2023, 09:05:57 AM »

Everyone who votes 'no' should be interned Smiley
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2023, 10:50:25 AM »

I mean the question is kinda a bad mocking of Woodbury who asked a fairly legitimate question. Morally yes Russia should withdraw but Woodbury was asking from a military perspective.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2023, 11:40:52 AM »

I mean the question is kinda a bad mocking of Woodbury who asked a fairly legitimate question. Morally yes Russia should withdraw but Woodbury was asking from a military perspective.
I mean even from a military perspective Russia invasion has been a disaster for them
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2023, 01:28:58 PM »

Take a wild guess...

I mean even from a military perspective Russia invasion has been a disaster for them

It has been a disaster worse than the Russian invasion of Afghanistan or even the American intervention in South Vietnam after the first combat units landed the beaches in 1965.  If this war (provided it ends the way I want it to) doesn't wean the Russians off their dreams of imperial restoration, nothing will.    
🇺🇦 Purple 🦄 Unicorn 🇮🇱
Purple Unicorn
Germany

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2023, 01:29:45 PM »

ASAP.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2023, 03:22:28 PM »

Take a wild guess...

It has been a disaster worse than the Russian invasion of Afghanistan or even the American intervention in South Vietnam after the first combat units landed the beaches in 1965.  If this war (provided it ends the way I want it to) doesn't wean the Russians off their dreams of imperial restoration, nothing will.    

Not yet, they will have to suffer a definitive defeat for that to become possible.
CanadianDemocrat
Rookie
Canada

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2023, 09:32:05 PM »

Take a wild guess...

Russia after just 1 year of the Ukraine war has already had 200,000 casualties. It's more then the 10 year Soviet-Afghan war and the two Chechen wars combined. The Ukraine war is similar to Russia fighting the Vietnam war, the Iraq war and the Afghan war at the same time.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2023, 09:55:05 PM »

kinda bad?  I thought it was a pretty good mocking.
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2023, 10:07:46 AM »

Russia is hoping that its US partner, the American Fascist Party Republican Party, cut off US aids to Ukraine.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2023, 12:29:09 PM »

Best case scenario for them is that still not happening for another two years, however.
BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.23, S: 0.42

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2023, 01:39:05 PM »

From a moral perspective? Yes, invading another country is unacceptable in this day and age.

From a military perspective? Don’t see why they would. Western support for the war is dropping, and the moment western leaders zipper the purse, this is a much different affair.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2023, 02:24:33 PM »

From a moral perspective? Yes, invading another country is unacceptable in this day and age.

From a military perspective? Don’t see why they would. Western support for the war is dropping, and the moment western leaders zipper the purse, this is a much different affair.

This seems to be an article of faith amongst certain "realist" types, but actual evidence is a but thin.

And thinking that *eventually* Ukraine might have to accept some sort of negotiated settlement, is still a long way from not being bothered about an actual Russian victory.

BG-NY
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.23, S: 0.42

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2023, 03:22:40 PM »

This seems to be an article of faith amongst certain "realist" types, but actual evidence is a but thin.

And thinking that *eventually* Ukraine might have to accept some sort of negotiated settlement, is still a long way from not being bothered about an actual Russian victory.

I don’t disagree, but this thread is from Russia’s POV. Obviously Ukraine shouldn’t sue for peace just yet.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2023, 06:37:40 PM »

I don’t disagree, but this thread is from Russia’s POV. Obviously Ukraine shouldn’t sue for peace just yet.

Also even if western support turns against aid (it already is, to an extent) the "who are you sympathetic with" remains strongly pro-Ukraine.

And the public doesn't make decisions about this, and they certainly don't vote on it. As can be seen by Kaja Kallas' recent re-election in Estonia.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2023, 07:06:02 PM »

New thread title: "Do you think Russia should withdraw from Ukraine? And if not, why are you hiding yourself from the ridicule and shame?"

I mean, what did ya'll expect?
Upper Canada Tory
BlahTheCanuck
Canada

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2023, 07:56:35 PM »

Yes, and pay reparations.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies