South Carolina Republicans want death penalty for women who get abortions (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 12:33:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  South Carolina Republicans want death penalty for women who get abortions (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: South Carolina Republicans want death penalty for women who get abortions  (Read 1410 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« on: March 13, 2023, 08:28:48 PM »

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/south-carolina-death-penalty-abortion-1234695566/

Members of the South Carolina State House are considering a bill that would make a woman who has an abortion in the state eligible for the death penalty.

The “South Carolina Prenatal Equal Protection Act of 2023” would amend the state’s code of laws, redefining “person” to include a fertilized egg at the point of conception, affording that zygote “equal protection under the homicide laws of the state” — up to and including the ultimate punishment: death. 

The bill was authored by Rep. Rob Harris, a registered nurse and member of the Freedom Caucus; it has attracted 21 co-sponsors to date.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2023, 01:27:10 PM »

Show me a single one of them who said they support giving women who get abortions the death penalty.

All of them expressed support for giving women who get abortions the death penalty when they co-sponsored a bill that would give women who get abortions the death penalty.

"Co-sponsoring a bill doesn't mean they support the bill" is just hilariously bad-faith.

They support a bill which says nothing about either the death penalty or criminally charging women for abortions. To say that supporting this bill implies support for such a thing is a flight of fancy.

So your defense is that these people are rank idiots.
Nice.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2023, 01:58:12 PM »

What court has ever found that Equal Protection means that all homicide requires the death penalty? If so then South Carolina and every other state with a death penalty is already running afoul of it.

I don't know if you're just arguing in bad faith or if you genuinely lack reading comprehension.

Nobody here claimed that a death sentence would be the required punishment. In fact, the person who made this thread was very clear:

Members of the South Carolina State House are considering a bill that would make a woman who has an abortion in the state eligible for the death penalty.

Yes or no, do you acknowledge that this bill would make women who receive abortions eligible for the death penalty?

I will acknowledge it if someone makes a decent argument based on the actual bill text and not the specious reasoning of a partisan music magazine.

LOL, you're such a tool.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2023, 08:22:33 PM »

I don't even know what "eligible" is supposed to mean in this question.

JFC! Why don't you just stop embarrassing yourself?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2023, 12:07:03 PM »

Even if we make obtusly optimistic assumptions about the implementation of this law, are we really supposed to be any more pleased that women charged with capital murder for getting an abortion might "only" be sentenced to (e.g) 20 to life instead??

Exactly. That's why shua's entire act is so insultingly dishonest.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2023, 07:39:40 PM »

I am talking bs but am technically correct. lol  well I'll take what I can get.

Why don't you just quit while you're ahead dude? Are you taking pleasure in all the abuse?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2023, 08:12:57 PM »

I am talking bs but am technically correct. lol  well I'll take what I can get.

Why don't you just quit while you're ahead dude? Are you taking pleasure in all the abuse?

When a wise man points at the moon, an idiot looks at his finger. - Confucius
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies