Scottish Independence referendum, 2014 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 11:20:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Scottish Independence referendum, 2014 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Yes or No?
Yes to independence

No to independence

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 115

Author Topic: Scottish Independence referendum, 2014  (Read 6267 times)
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« on: September 10, 2014, 11:14:35 AM »

You are right. This debate is much more significant...

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=198462.new;boardseen#new

... and Scots are expecting anxiously the outcome.

Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 10:01:44 AM »

I made up my mind on this question and I now support Yes. My main hope is that a Yes vote would somehow create a shock wave and shake up Europe, that really needs to be awaken.

I think that is not the shock Europe is needing.

If "Yes" wins, how does this affect other independence movements? A shot in the arm, I assume?
Would Catalonia and Basque be next?

I guess it would be something like a boost for the independence movement in Catalonia, which has been affected by certain corruption scandal involving a former regional premier. However, the problem between Spain and Catalonia is going to last several years. The Basque Country is calm at the moment and awaiting. Hard to predict the outcome in Catalonia, because turbulence approachs to Catalan and Spanish politics. In short, dynamics are quite different.

Actually, I have nothing against the independence of Scotland. I voted 'no' because of the currency issue, indirect repercussions in other places and because I'm not particularly in love with Scottish nationalism. Anyway, it's their choice.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 03:05:00 PM »

Krugman is absolutely right, and I don't get why Scotland wouldn't want to create their own currency - it's not that big of a step after gaining political independence.

(before someone tells me I'm a hypocrite for supporting Euro, remember that I also want common EU fiscal policy)

They need to convince a large group of anxious fairly apolitical low information voters that it is safe to vote Yes. Getting your own currency sounds risky.

In other words, they need to be somewhat dishonest in order to carry those voters to their column, even though the independence they are voting may be something merely symbolic, meaningless.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/independence-referendum-bank-england-governor-4191557

I think that is not the shock Europe is needing.
It would boost several causes I support such as:
-Irish reunification
-Catalan independence
-the rUK leaving the EU

Such causes are respectable, but I doubt they are going to contribute for the awakening of Europe. The Irish reunification I think it's a matter of time (demography). In my opinion, the Catalan independence might be a disaster for Spain and Catalonia. I'm neither a fan of Spanish nor the Catalan nationalism, and I believe they all are falling in different degrees of stupidity. From the Spanish side Rajoy (PP), Sánchez (PSOE) and Diaz (UPyD) persist in their dimwittedness and lack of vision, while IU lives in a limb. The only one who has said something clever is Pablo Iglesias (Podemos), without actually proposing any thing ("I prefer if we stay together, but who I am to tell Catalans what they have to do?"). What the Catalan nationalism is selling is all smoke and mirrors. The ruling conservative nationalists are approximately as stupid as their counterparts in Spain. Meanwhile the ERC is undeservedly reaping the benefit, because of its ability to stay in government and opposition at the same time. Likely they are going to be their SNP. As for the UK out of the EU, it would be fine. Anyway, why the Brits could not be accompanied by other 'euroesceptic' countries? Perhaps it would make more sense recovering the idea of a 'common market' enlarged with Turkey and other peripheral countries, while the core of the former EU-15 try to build a cohesive Union. Well, this is talking for talking's shake Wink
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies