Which state is more socially liberal? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:55:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Which state is more socially liberal? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Georgia

West Virginia

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 56

Author Topic: Which state is more socially liberal?  (Read 1708 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« on: November 02, 2013, 07:44:16 PM »

Well?
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 07:54:50 PM »

This isn't even complicated. Which one has major universities and cities over 500K people?

Obama did much worse among Georgia whites than among West Virginia whites.  That doesn't mean everything, but WV still has more whites willing to vote Democratic, and WV has historically not been as racist.  In additon, a large black population does not help make Georgia more pro-gay or less religious.  Also, rural does not automatically mean socially conservative (look at Vermont).
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 08:07:33 PM »

Georgia, despite Southern and Northern Georgia. Georgia generally has a growing, younger crowd that is going to be more socially liberal than not. That crowd hasn't taken over Georgia (or anything close to take over) but there are simply more of them than in West Virginia. West Virginia is generally an older, whiter, and non-growing state that has shown almost no progress towards any liberal policies.

True, Georgia is trending that way, and West Virginia is not, but I think it's a close call now.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 08:33:38 PM »

Most here think Georgia, probably because of Atlanta.  I agree that in the future it will obviously be Georgia; the growing diversity will eventually impact the state's social and political character, while heavily-rural West Virginia is trending more conservative relative to other parts of the country.

However, I still think that rural Georgia is obviously more socially conservative than rural West Virginia.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 09:06:29 PM »

Georgia has cities like Atlanta, Athens, ect.

West Virginia only really has Charleston, which is about as conservative as the rest of the state.

If a vote on gay marriage was held in Georgia and West Virginia. I'd expect around 45% support in Georgia, but only ~30% in West Virginia.

Not likely.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies