UK General Discussion: 2017 and onwards, Mayhem (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 09:54:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  UK General Discussion: 2017 and onwards, Mayhem (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: UK General Discussion: 2017 and onwards, Mayhem  (Read 220137 times)
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2018, 07:46:20 AM »

on an issue that nobody even cared about

Repeating a blatant lie doesn’t make it any more true.

Oh, so the consistent polling pre-2016 that consistently rated EU membership as a marginal issue was lying was it? Or the promise to hold a referendum was a defining part of the 2015 election campaign?

just face it, the Tories created this crisis all by themselves. They decided to drag the country down because of their own obsessions, not because there was a massive, overwhelming demand to hold a referendum on a marginal issue.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2018, 09:45:34 AM »

on an issue that nobody even cared about

Repeating a blatant lie doesn’t make it any more true.

Oh, so the consistent polling pre-2016 that consistently rated EU membership as a marginal issue was lying was it?

...And those polls rated by far the most pressing issue as immigration, which is intimately tied to freedom of movement and thus EU membership.  

The fact that the referendum vote was the largest democratic mandate in this country's history, larger than any general election, proves you are talking bollocks.

Call me strange but I consider a 33 million sample somewhat more informative than a 1000 person one.

As someone who voted leave and will probably vote leave again...

Pull the other one. This is just gaslighting, and frankly it's a bit pathological.
Lol, imagine being this hysterical about the fact that people don't care about the EU as much as you
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2019, 12:56:27 PM »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jan/08/heathrow-airport-departures-suspended-after-drone-sighting

Lol! Joke Country!

On a side note, I'm supposed to be flying home from Heathrow this weekend, so they'd better get this sorted quick....
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2019, 03:16:15 PM »

So aside from wasting nearly a third of the remaining available time, delaying the vote by a month achieved... what exactly?
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2019, 04:04:09 PM »

The DUP will vote to prop up the limpet Prime Minister, because of course.

So aside from wasting nearly a third of the remaining available time, delaying the vote by a month achieved... what exactly?

The plan may be to try again with even less time left and try to get it through via fear alone.

Tea Party tactics there, except emnating from the government.

Yeah. I've been predicting - as a possibility not as a certainty, obviously - this to people in Real Life for about a year now.
See, I though that, but it would seem uncharacteristically... machiavellian for someone who, for most of her career, has given off the aura of being about as perceptive as a pile of bricks.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2019, 05:09:11 AM »

Question is which, if any, of the 7(?) are still MPs after the next general election.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2019, 02:39:52 AM »

I was all too ready to gang up on the IG, since I do strongly suspect that at least Umunna's concern for antisemitism is a pretext and that the only thing he really cares about is making sure a real left-wing party will never win power in the UK (Berger is of course a different story and I do have a lot of sympathy for her), but Horus' posts in this thread and the general atmosphere that seems to be emanating out of it are pretty much proving them right. Congrats, people.

Yeah, this. And what totally  i n g ridiculous is that Labour is managing to bring itself down by failing to deal with a bunch of obsessives who have got way too involved in the "Israel" thing, which is an issue that a) Real life people, you know , the ones Labour are supposed to stand for, who are more worried about the state of housing, schools, whatever don't actually care about b) Britain's position on is totally irrelevant anyway.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2019, 06:20:49 AM »

They now have as many MPs as the Lib Dems *sn*
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2019, 06:25:29 AM »

What would be the point in a short extension, or a long extension or anything? It'll just mean being in exactly the same place X months down the line.

What is truly shocking though, is the way that May is behaving like this is purely an internal debate within the Conservative party, and that everyone else is entirely incidental to the process.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2019, 06:14:50 AM »

Let's also overreact to crosstabs, but it's amusing that both those YouGov polls has TIG winning about 10% of leave voters... which seems to mostly show that, at a time where both major parties are deeply unpopular, it's pretty easy to win over support by being a blank slate. Much harder when you actually start having to deal with reality
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2019, 04:53:53 AM »

So, rumours that May is going to delay the vote again... which begs the question, is she taking the piss at this point or something? Like how exactly do you justify this sort of behaviour?
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2019, 04:56:51 PM »

Dua Lipa is also a young female. I suggest her
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2019, 12:23:31 PM »

If the the history of the United Kingdom in the second half of the 2010s winds up being a referendum, followed by a complete fail at negotiations, followed by not actually leaving the EU - and all thanks to an extremist wing of the Conservative party who, by their own actions, wound up actually saving the institution they thought they were going to destroy...

Would be quite a funny story to tell tbh
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2019, 04:32:20 PM »

Dua Lipa would also show diversity. She's Albanian
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2019, 02:48:14 PM »

The Conservative party appears to be having some sort of a mental breakdown...
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2019, 01:57:44 PM »

With Lithuania in particular, there's also the point that about 5% of Lithuanians live in the UK...

Beyond that, with the usual suspects (Poland, Hungary, Italy...) that you might expect to veto it, there is also the argument that none of them would particularly want to pick another fight with the EU over this.

Honestly though, if I was going to bet, I would predict that enough ERG'ers and remainers get cold feet next wednesday for May to get her deal through.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies