Derek Chauvin trial megathread (SENTENCED TO 22.5 YEARS IN PRISON)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 04:57:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Derek Chauvin trial megathread (SENTENCED TO 22.5 YEARS IN PRISON)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25]
Poll
Question: How long will Chauvin be sentenced?
40+ years

20-39 years

10-19 years

<10 years

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: Derek Chauvin trial megathread (SENTENCED TO 22.5 YEARS IN PRISON)  (Read 43382 times)
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #600 on: June 25, 2021, 07:08:57 PM »

Great news! But this is still only scratching the surface. Many other police officers should have been held accountable like Chauvin has. I'm not entirely sure that this is even much of a turning point for that either.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #601 on: June 26, 2021, 02:09:53 AM »
« Edited: June 26, 2021, 02:28:13 AM by Lone Star Politics »

Great news! But this is still only scratching the surface. Many other police officers should have been held accountable like Chauvin has. I'm not entirely sure that this is even much of a turning point for that either.

Breonna Taylor's killers are probably the big ones to look at (besides the other 3 in the Floyd murder). I know Taylor's killers weren't charged besides one for firing a shot into another apartment, but I do wonder if they may receive federal charges?

Also something I need to add, the other 3 officers involved in Floyd's death go on trial next year.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

« Reply #602 on: June 26, 2021, 02:47:15 AM »

22.5 years in prison for what was an extremely careless and possibly downright evil act, but almost certainly not intentional murder, is way excessive to my mind. I'm not sure why liberals who usually believe in criminal justice and is against excessive punitive measures should be celebrating this.

I would have been fine with a sentence of a few years in prison. That would seem appropriate to me.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #603 on: June 26, 2021, 02:50:02 AM »

22.5 years in prison for what was an extremely careless and possibly downright evil act, but almost certainly not intentional murder, is way excessive to my mind. I'm not sure why liberals who usually believe in criminal justice and is against excessive punitive measures should be celebrating this.

I would have been fine with a sentence of a few years in prison. That would seem appropriate to me.

Come again?

22.5 years is proportionate, not excessive. Excessive would be life in prison or the death penalty.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #604 on: June 26, 2021, 03:30:01 AM »

Come again?

22.5 years is proportionate, not excessive. Excessive would be life in prison or the death penalty.

Keep in mind that it's only unreasonable in the context of American prison sentencing. Norway has a maximum sentence of 21 years (extendable for cases of terrorism a'la Anders Breivik) and their 'prisons' basically resemble college dorms. I don't know much about Denmark, but I would assume they're very similar.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

« Reply #605 on: June 26, 2021, 03:38:54 AM »

Come again?

Keep in mind that it's only unreasonable in the context of American prison sentencing. Norway has a maximum sentence of 21 years (extendable for cases of terrorism a'la Anders Breivik) and their 'prisons' basically resemble college dorms. I don't know much about Denmark, but I would assume they're very similar.
Yeah, I would expect Shauvin to get a sentence of 3-5 years in prison or so, if it had happened in Denmark. Which seems totally appropriate to me. I am and have always been against excessive punishment.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #606 on: June 26, 2021, 05:41:46 AM »

We know why the Judge didn't didn't give the max sentences, because Maxine Waters said Guilty before the Verdict and the Appellate Crts could have overturned his verdict, but that's the appropriate sentence 112/15 yrs, but Chauvan deserves the Death penalty
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #607 on: June 26, 2021, 06:38:59 AM »

I’m sympathetic to the hesitancy to allow excessively long sentences.

HOWEVER, what makes it justified in this case is a detail that is overlooked and one that isn’t.

First; the people around the incident started pleading with him to get off his neck - in an act of stubborn defiance his left leg lifted off the ground as he used his other leg to put the absolute maximum pressure down.

Second; the man had NUMEROUS excessive force complaints. Clearly this is who he is.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #608 on: June 26, 2021, 06:47:59 AM »

Officers that commit violent crimes while in uniform should be subject to harsher sentences than ordinary offenders.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #609 on: June 26, 2021, 07:15:18 AM »

Come again?

Yeah, I would expect Shauvin to get a sentence of 3-5 years in prison or so, if it had happened in Denmark. Which seems totally appropriate to me. I am and have always been against excessive punishment.

I think most liberals believe in the rule of law. I'm not always a fan of the judicial system here in the US, but I'm also not a fan of the Nordic system in that respect. The penalty for taking a life, particularly in this way, must have serious consequences. He couldn't even show remorse for his actions.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #610 on: June 26, 2021, 10:48:16 AM »

but almost certainly not intentional murder,

I don’t know where you’re getting this particular notion from.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #611 on: June 26, 2021, 12:19:15 PM »

Come again?

I'm aware, but that doesn't mean they're right. Murder sentencing of under a decade seems absurd to me.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #612 on: June 26, 2021, 12:46:04 PM »

The family already gotten 33M for Floyd compensation 2021/ and they got part of it up front that's why Floyd got a golden casket, and horse driven first ride, and so was Breyona family 7 million dollars

So even if Chauvan gotten a decade emprisoned, Floyd got compensated
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #613 on: June 26, 2021, 03:16:23 PM »

This is the longest sentence ever given in US history for a crime committed by an on-duty police officer.

It narrowly beats the 20 years handed to the cop in SC who shot Walter Scott in the back in 2015.  Although that trial was a little more complex; the charges he ended up pleading guilty to were for federal civil rights violations, but the judge determined it was based upon an act of second-degree murder anyway.

What's the key thing both of these cases had in common?  The incidents were recorded on video by a third party bystander, which proved that the police reports that had been filed were complete lies that conveniently excused the cop of any wrongdoing.

For this reason, any time I witness a police interaction going forward, I'm pulling my phone out if I can.
SInNYC

« Reply #614 on: June 26, 2021, 03:37:47 PM »

I agree, and think something like 10-12 years would have been appropriate. But then I am 'soft on crime', for all crimes. I know its quaint, but I happen to believe in the criminology 101 adage that crime is deterred by surity of [significant] punishment, not severity. And I believe in deterrence, not revenge.

Having said that, we overpunish non-cops, so cops should also be overpunished.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #615 on: June 27, 2021, 06:22:32 AM »

For this reason, any time I witness a police interaction going forward, I'm pulling my phone out if I can.

FF.
Senator Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #616 on: June 27, 2021, 08:11:39 PM »

Despite me believing this sentence was a disappointment, the judge went by sentencing guidelines. I think MN needed to send a message here that this type of conduct is unacceptable and a clear abuse of public trust.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #617 on: June 30, 2021, 12:18:27 AM »

Chauvin may be getting a plea deal with federal prosecutors: https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2021/06/28/derek-chauvin-closing-in-on-federal-plea-deal-sources-tell-wcco
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #618 on: June 30, 2021, 01:23:43 AM »

That's fine, so long as it entails him having to simply admit his guilt on-the-record.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies