Biden picks Jaime Harrison to be DNC chair
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 04:57:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden picks Jaime Harrison to be DNC chair
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Biden picks Jaime Harrison to be DNC chair  (Read 3445 times)
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2021, 03:17:14 PM »

It should have been Abrams.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2021, 03:21:51 PM »

Should have picked Bob Menendez
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2021, 03:24:21 PM »

Harrison is a great pick. People who complain about how "the DNC will keep raising tons of money and lose elections" miss the point. The role of the DNC Chair is not to win elections. That's the responsibility of the DSCC, DCCC and individual campaign manager. Their role is to raise money, something Harrison is great at.

Plus the campaign Harrison ran is exactly the type of campaign Democrats need to be more willing to, just in more competitive states.

Yes for the first part,Harrison job is to raise as much of resistance idiots as possible.
No for the 2nd part. There's another black dude in a more deep red southern state who did better than Harrison. Maybe try actually appealing to the state to win and not the national media.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2021, 03:53:52 PM »

Jaime Harrison is exactly the embodiment of this 50-state strategy everyone pretends they subscribe to.

You've got a deep-red state with a powerful incumbent.  Instead of surrendering, you recruit a strong candidate of your own, raise tons of money, build infrastructure, and raise the party's profile in the state.

Harrison defeating Graham was always a long-shot.  But Harrison was a very effective vessel for building Democratic infrastructure and improving the party's image in South Carolina.  And those gains are going to prove very useful down the road, so long as they don't go to waste.  Maybe in six years Graham will retire and we'll get a close race against some kooky local candidate, which we'll be able to win due to the money/work put into the state over the prior elections.

Compete everywhere, and compete ferociously.  It doesn't matter if you lose.  It's a long-term game.

Also, Harrison forced the Republicans to waste TONS of money defending a Safe R seat.  Graham spent by far the most of any Republican senate candidate.  That's money the GOP wasted in South Carolina that they could have spent in Michigan, Arizona and Georgia.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2021, 09:15:39 PM »

lmao what a joke
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2021, 09:20:01 PM »

Jaime Harrison raised a ridiculous amount of money, he's good on TV, and he's loyal to Biden.  What more could you ask for?

Somebody who wins?

Oh, sorry, I forgot that winning takes a backseat to patronage.

Being down by only 10 against an incumbent in South Carolina is pretty damn good.

no it really isn’t lol, that is an incredibly meh result
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2021, 09:51:36 PM »

Not the worst choice.
Morning in Atlas
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2021, 10:35:11 PM »

I would have preferred Nikema Williams, but Harrison seems fine. I'd much rather a more coalition-based approach where the DCCC helps the state party choose a candidate instead of dragging them around and pulling them like a husky puppy.

His 50-state solution talk is good. I'm going into this with cautious optimism.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2021, 01:12:19 AM »

I hope Stacey Abrams wasn't interested. If she was and was snubbed, this is political malpractice of the highest level.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2021, 01:20:48 AM »

I really want Stacy Abrams to be the next Karl Rove. Jaime sounds like the next Dean.

David Brock is the Democratic Karl Rove. He's also fights the left like Karl Rove.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2021, 01:35:33 AM »

Harrison did lose by 1.41% less than Biden did in South Carolina, getting 0.74% more in vote share and 19,287 raw votes. It was a good performance especially in context, but it could just be Graham being a weak candidate. Subjectively though Harrison was a good candidate who ran a good campaign.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2021, 01:58:21 AM »

I really want Stacy Abrams to be the next Karl Rove. Jaime sounds like the next Dean.
Karl Rove was a grifter in 2012 blew hundreds of millions of dollars from the rommney campagin in exchange for nothing, hopefully Abrams is better than that.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2021, 02:00:33 AM »

Jaime Harrison is exactly the embodiment of this 50-state strategy everyone pretends they subscribe to.

You've got a deep-red state with a powerful incumbent.  Instead of surrendering, you recruit a strong candidate of your own, raise tons of money, build infrastructure, and raise the party's profile in the state.

Harrison defeating Graham was always a long-shot.  But Harrison was a very effective vessel for building Democratic infrastructure and improving the party's image in South Carolina.  And those gains are going to prove very useful down the road, so long as they don't go to waste.  Maybe in six years Graham will retire and we'll get a close race against some kooky local candidate, which we'll be able to win due to the money/work put into the state over the prior elections.

Compete everywhere, and compete ferociously.  It doesn't matter if you lose.  It's a long-term game.

Also, Harrison forced the Republicans to waste TONS of money defending a Safe R seat.  Graham spent by far the most of any Republican senate candidate.  That's money the GOP wasted in South Carolina that they could have spent in Michigan, Arizona and Georgia.
The dems literally lost seats in the SC legislature because of his reverse coatails. Spend money smarlty on local candidates adapted to the environment don't broadcast liberal cringe and destroy the local democratic parties reputation like Mcgrath did in kenutcky.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2021, 02:19:00 AM »

Graham is still beloved by SC due to fact he was tied to McCain, but made it easier for WARNOCK to get elected
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2021, 02:35:25 AM »

Not a bad choice, for sure than Perez. I would have wanted Stacey Abrams, but her not going for the jon indicates she'll have another try to become governor of GA next year.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2021, 03:44:16 AM »
« Edited: January 15, 2021, 04:45:57 PM by Monstro Believed in a Blue Georgia (and a Blue Texas) »

I hope Stacey Abrams wasn't interested. If she was and was snubbed, this is political malpractice of the highest level.

It's pretty obvious that shes had her eye on 2022 since she lost. Her organizational accolades last year served a dual-goal in strengthening the Georgia Democratic Party and her 2022 ground-game.

If anything, the recent gains made her more confident of a second Gubernatorial run rather than leapfrogging to the national stage.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2021, 04:02:41 AM »

Karl Rove was a grifter in 2012 blew hundreds of millions of dollars from the rommney campagin in exchange for nothing, hopefully Abrams is better than that.
Karl Rove was a genius at his height, which ran concurrent with Dean's.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2021, 04:06:51 AM »

Statehood does ride on the 2022, usually as I said before the first midterm goes badly for D's and they rebound later, but in order to get the right track wrong track number to even, there must be a normalized Economy and people must get back to work. We have a 600 deficit and Unemployment and Stimulus packages aren't gonna last forever, as we see now that not everyone is getting their 600 as is.

But, it's a yr til the election, but vaccines to Health care workers don't get the people like us better

Biden isn't at 55 percent approvals, I have to agree for once with Trump Toupee, Biden is at 48/37 approvals. Even AA who haven't received their stimulus are turning on Biden.

I think the IRS has not given AA a stimulus on purpose, we will see but I talk to many and no Stimulus but other races have
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2021, 09:18:05 AM »

The main reason for Biden to pick Harrison is as a payback to his mentor, Clyburn, for his help in the SC primary. If I had to guess/hope, Clyburn retires in a few years, turning over the 6th to Harrison in the 2022 or 2024 elections.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2021, 09:26:34 AM »

Abrams needs to be rewarded in some way for her role.  I just hope they have something else planned, or that she simply wasn't interested.
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2021, 03:29:29 PM »

I actually like this a lot and think that Harrison will do a great job as DNC chair. About time we had someone who had experience running in a red state who understands reaching out to voters on real issues.
And yet be barely outperformed Biden and vastly underperformed expectations.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2021, 07:40:50 PM »

I actually like this a lot and think that Harrison will do a great job as DNC chair. About time we had someone who had experience running in a red state who understands reaching out to voters on real issues.

He did about as well as I expected.  I always expected there would be a number of voters who would vote based on party and not person and thus weren't getting counted in the polls.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2021, 08:01:24 PM »

I'm of mixed opinion on him getting this position too. The guy clearly knows how to utilize the media to his benefit and fund-raise well off it, but he doesn't have the electoral record to really justify it. Money doesn't mean as much as it used to as organization seems to be the new best way to elections. I'll give him a chance to redeem himself though. But I swear that if the 2022 midterms go belly-up in ways worse than expected he needs to be removed before he can become a new Debbie Wasserman-Schultz like pariah figure.

As for those concerned about why Abrams wasn't chosen for this position, I'm certain that her gaze is set upon becoming the country's first female Governor in her home state while still helping to keep her state on track for giving Democrats wins. She would be a great choice though, don't get me wrong. 
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2021, 03:06:40 AM »

I take it this forum would've been annoyed at Howard Dean being picked as DNC chair?

After all, he he vastly underperformed expectations in his primary run.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2021, 03:09:45 AM »

Because people's expectations were not founded in reality.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies