HuffPo: UNC Students Topple Confederate Monument
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 01:57:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  HuffPo: UNC Students Topple Confederate Monument
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: HuffPo: UNC Students Topple Confederate Monument  (Read 10636 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2018, 12:50:23 PM »

Sounds like a bunch of virtue signalling leftists got together and looked for something to rage against.
Indeed.  Very unhealthy, even if inevitable.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2018, 01:41:16 PM »

Yassssss. Massive FFs. Smiley
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2018, 02:05:29 PM »

I'm a current unc student and I was at the site last night--sadly wasn't there for the toppling, but several of my close friends were. Ama.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2018, 02:18:39 PM »

Why would you want to go to a university that has “institutional white supremacy,”?  I'm assuming only Freshmen think this way?  Because if you're a Senior and feel this way, YOU"RE AN ASSHOLE!

Using a single word as a catchall for several types of undesirable people gets tiresome.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2018, 02:41:51 PM »
« Edited: August 21, 2018, 02:53:46 PM by Badger »

Neither the campus nor the local government want the monument to slavery there, but NC’s autocratic government has banned local governments from removing statues. When you shut down democracy, you get extralegal violence.

This. While I'm not supportive of mob vandalism, on the other Hand LITERALLY  the ONLY other way the student body could've gotten rid of the statute was to somehow undo the excruciating level of GOP gerrymandering the entire state is subject to, win a majority (if not a supermajority) of the state leg, keep the governors office, in order to legislatively allow home rule on such matters.

Or, they could've, and did, eventually say "we've petitioned, we've asked, we protested, and a bunch of elderly "reformed" white supremacists hundreds of miles from here continually said "screw you".

It just dawned on me how snowflakey these right wingers are. They have to have immediate near unrestrained access to assault rifles in order to take "direct action" (i.e. killing feds) against even the THEORY of the government taking away our local rule. But in any actual case of completely ignoring local rule for ages an they get turned inside out over a statue specifically erected by white supremacists being toppled as "the beginning of mob rule.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2018, 02:45:38 PM »

I'm a current unc student and I was at the site last night--sadly wasn't there for the toppling, but several of my close friends were. Ama.

Did they have a good time?
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2018, 02:47:53 PM »

Neither the campus nor the local government want the monument to slavery there, but NC’s autocratic government has banned local governments from removing statues. When you shut down democracy, you get extralegal violence.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2018, 02:48:33 PM »

What are you famed tough guys going to do?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2018, 02:51:45 PM »

Spoilers: take down monuments to slavery by force.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2018, 02:55:27 PM »

Neither one of us lives in NC but I imagine putting independent redistricting on the ballot so they never get a 50/50 state drawn to have an artificial supermajority of one party that refuses to work with a governor of a different party whom they stripped of powers ever again would be a good place to start
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2018, 02:57:11 PM »

Once again, you apparently can't wait to break out the doc martins and put those red laces back on to "fight back" against the army of antifa you see waiting for you around every corner.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2018, 02:58:05 PM »

Neither one of us lives in NC but I imagine putting independent redistricting on the ballot so they never get a 50/50 state drawn to have an artificial supermajority of one party that refuses to work with a governor of a different party whom they stripped of powers ever again would be a good place to start

This x 100
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2018, 02:58:22 PM »

NC does not have I&R
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2018, 02:59:36 PM »

Once again, you apparently can't wait to break out the doc martins and put those red laces back on to "fight back" against the army of antifa you see waiting for you around every corner.
That doesn't answer the question. It's not particularly original at this point either.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2018, 03:05:19 PM »

All involved should be criminally charged with vandalism if the school will not discipline.
It's not vandalism if they are cleaning up trash.
They are the trash of this country.
This. I hope UNC will punish them (won't hold my breath though, academia is lost...) and I hope footage of this disturbing event can be used to help the GOP win elections -- in NC as well as elsewhere. Fits perfectly in the "left gone wild" narrative that needs to be promoted everywhere.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2018, 03:05:42 PM »

Tear down and burn all the traitorous monuments.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2018, 03:12:15 PM »

This. While I'm not supportive of mob vandalism, on the other Hand LITERALLY  the ONLY other way the student body could've gotten rid of the statute was to somehow undo the excruciating level of GOP gerrymandering the entire state is subject to, win a majority (if not a supermajority) of the state leg, keep the governors office, in order to legislatively allow home rule on such matters.

Or, they could've, and did, eventually say "we've petitioned, we've asked, we protested, and a bunch of elderly "reformed" white supremacists hundreds of miles from here continually said "screw you".

It just dawned on me how snowflakey these right wingers are. They have to have immediate near unrestrained access to assault rifles in order to take "direct action" (i.e. killing feds) against even the THEORY of the government taking away our local rule. But in any actual case of completely ignoring local rule for ages an they get turned inside out over a statue specifically erected by white supremacists being toppled as "the beginning of mob rule.
You're just now figuring out that Republican ideology is built completely on fear, insecurity, and paranoia?

You are smarter than that.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2018, 03:15:23 PM »

So it’s cool for Seattle to have a statue of a butcher like Vladimir Lenin but not for a former confederate state to have a statue commemorating the war?

Lenin > Lee
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2018, 03:15:59 PM »

That doesn't answer the question. It's not particularly original at this point either.

The answer was already given to you above, by Brittain33.
Open your eyes. It's re-posted here ...

Spoilers: take down monuments to slavery by force.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2018, 03:16:41 PM »

Put them in museums.  Hell, make a museum of the Confederacy and put them there.

Our nation's history is full of dark times and warts.  Display them in an appropriate setting.  Leave the public statues for more positive or inspiring things.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2018, 03:17:48 PM »

Also don't want to hear anybody supporting this about Republicans or right-wingers or Trump supposedly breaking the law. And the right is better at this game.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2018, 03:21:24 PM »

Put them in museums.  Hell, make a museum of the Confederacy and put them there.
Our nation's history is full of dark times and warts.  Display them in an appropriate setting.  Leave the public statues for more positive or inspiring things.

Agree.
But if government refuses to adhere to the wishes of the local people in the area, then tear/topple them down, and if they are damaged? Oh well.
They should have taken them down earlier, when they had the chance.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2018, 03:22:29 PM »

Agree.
But if government refuses to adhere to the wishes of the local people in the area, then tear/topple them down, and if they are damaged? Oh well.
They should have taken them down earlier, when they had the chance.
The statue was there before the UNC students were there. Perhaps they should have picked a different university if they disliked the statue so much.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2018, 03:22:56 PM »

Also don't want to hear anybody supporting this about Republicans or right-wingers or Trump supposedly breaking the law. And the right is better at this game.

Nice try. This happened because North Carolina Republicans are totalitarians that hate democracy.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2018, 03:23:32 PM »

Nice try. This happened because a bunch of UNC students are totalitarians that hate democracy.
ftfy
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies