HuffPo: UNC Students Topple Confederate Monument
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 10:58:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  HuffPo: UNC Students Topple Confederate Monument
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: HuffPo: UNC Students Topple Confederate Monument  (Read 10708 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2018, 03:27:17 PM »

Also don't want to hear anybody supporting this about Republicans or right-wingers or Trump supposedly breaking the law. And the right is better at this game.
Nice try. This happened because a bunch of UNC students are totalitarians that hate democracy.
ftfy

Whatever happened to Republicans caring about an overarching and overly powerful government interfering in the decisions of local communities? Oh right, that's only when it's something they don't like and they have zero principles. Smiley
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2018, 03:30:02 PM »

Also don't want to hear anybody supporting this about Republicans or right-wingers or Trump supposedly breaking the law. And the right is better at this game.
Nice try. This happened because a bunch of UNC students are totalitarians that hate democracy.
ftfy
Whatever happened to Republicans caring about an overarching and overly powerful government interfering in the decisions of local communities? Oh right, that's only when it's something they don't like and they have zero principles. Smiley
Talking about me or Republicans in general? I haven't been supporting "small government" for years.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2018, 03:31:20 PM »

Agree.
But if government refuses to adhere to the wishes of the local people in the area, then tear/topple them down, and if they are damaged? Oh well.
They should have taken them down earlier, when they had the chance.

The statue was there before the UNC students were there. Perhaps they should have picked a different university if they disliked the statue so much.

That's ignorant.
Who cares when it was originally placed there; it has no basis to anything.

Let's extend your "brilliant theory" and say that the statue was already there, so you shouldn't go to any school in NC, or you shouldn't live anywhere in NC (if you don't agree with the statue).
Or for that matter, the statue was already in the USA (nation), so go to school or go live in Canada if you don't like the traitorous statues.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2018, 03:31:27 PM »

How is wanting a statue removed make someone a totalitarian who hates democracy?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2018, 03:33:15 PM »

ftfy

Um it wasnt  the University or the City itself who made the decision to take the statue down.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2018, 03:34:09 PM »

The university and city wanted it removed. The Republicans in state government kept blocking it.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2018, 03:34:22 PM »

ftfy

Um it wasnt  the University or the City itself who made the decision to take the statue down.

Yes, because the NC Politburo revoked their authority to do so.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2018, 03:35:35 PM »

Agree.
But if government refuses to adhere to the wishes of the local people in the area, then tear/topple them down, and if they are damaged? Oh well.

The statue was there before the UNC students were there. Perhaps they should have picked a different university if they disliked the statue so much.

That's ignorant.

Let's extend your "brilliant theory" and say that the statue was already there, so you shouldn't go to any school in NC, or you shouldn't live anywhere in NC (if you don't agree with the statue).
Or for that matter, the statue was already in the USA (nation), so go to school or go live in Canada if you don't like the traitorous statues.
Sounds good to me!
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2018, 03:37:56 PM »

ftfy

You are missing the point, OSR.
The point being made is that local government (and the local people) are refused the right to remove the statues by the State.
So of course the "University or the City" had no decision ... because the State took that right away from them, in the first place.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2018, 03:40:31 PM »

Agree.

That's ignorant.

Sounds good to me!

Of course it sounds good to you.
That's why I started my post with "That's ignorant."
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2018, 03:47:32 PM »

Neither the campus nor the local government want the monument to slavery there, but NC’s autocratic government has banned local governments from removing statues. When you shut down democracy, you get extralegal violence.

What are you famed tough guys going to do?

Once again, you apparently can't wait to break out the doc martins and put those red laces back on to "fight back" against the army of antifa you see waiting for you around every corner.

That doesn't answer the question. It's not particularly original at this point either.

The answer was already given to you above, by Brittain33.
Open your eyes. It's re-posted here ...

Spoilers: take down monuments to slavery by force.
Define "extralegal violence"
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2018, 03:48:04 PM »

Agree.
The problem with this line of argument (or any argument that starts with 'well maybe they should've') is that it is incredibly lazy, ineffective, and trollish and it just ends up making the person making it look like an asshole.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2018, 03:50:11 PM »

Agree.
The problem with this line of argument (or any argument that starts with 'well maybe they should've') is that it is incredibly lazy, ineffective, and trollish and it just ends up making the person making it look like an asshole.
Really? Every argument starting with "they should've" is ineffective and makes you sound like a troll or an a**hole? I sure hope I won't see you criticizing any policy by the Trump administration anytime soon then...
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2018, 03:52:45 PM »

If you truly conflate the widespread, nay, endemic corruption, self-dealing, for inclusion, and gutter sleaziness of a presidential Administration from top to bottom, with a bunch of college kids pulling down a Monument to the Confederacy, you are even more clueless than previously thought, and that's saying a lot.

Again, that's not even taking into account that Trump and the Republicans have literally all the power, Prestige, and money and that any of them should ever need in one lifetime, yet these college students are denied by a bunch of old white neo-confederates hundreds of miles away from deciding what statues and monuments are allowed on their campus. But even regardless of that, it's a horrible horrible stupid comparison
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2018, 04:20:47 PM »

I'm a current unc student and I was at the site last night--sadly wasn't there for the toppling, but several of my close friends were. Ama.

Did they have a good time?

I think so. Frankly this was about as orderly as it possibly could have been--the police didn't really engage with the protestors when it came time to take down the statue. They're probably burnt out tbh; they've had to monitor it pointlessly 24-7 for a very long time.

For those saying that "omg the students should have just gone elsewhere": UNC has a large population of lower-income college students, attracted by its Carolina Covenant Program, which makes it possible for those students to graduate without loans. Many of these covenant students are Black or Hispanic. Not many other schools have comparable programs, and for lots of students UNC is both the most academically strong and affordable option.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2018, 04:20:59 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
elcorazon

« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2018, 04:50:16 PM »

The mob that tore down this statue were lawless punks, who accomplished nothing for any sort of good cause, and were fortunate that no one was injured by their actions.  Toppling that statue could have killed, or permanently injured, a person who was either (A) innocent, or (B) a well-intentioned lawbreaker foolish enough to be part of this illegal event.

"Silent Sam" was one of the least offensive Confederate monuments; it was a statue of a fictional figure designed to honor Confederate veterans who attended UNC.  It wasn't honoring a "slaveowner", and the sentiment behind this particular statue was far more defensible than honoring some "slaveowner".  To call the men who were not part of the Fire Eater politicians that drove secession, but served in the Confederate military (which, in their point of view, was "their" country) is a degree of honor that I view these men as worthy of as those who fought for the Union.

The Lost Cause was wrong.  On the other hand, we can argue that, to a lesser degree, our cause in Vietnam was wrong, or our cause in Iraq; do we not honor our troops that answered their Country's call?  And these young men who served in the Confederate military were, in a real way, in a no-win situation; their politicians put them in a position where their choice was to be a traitor to either USA or CSA; a classic dilemma that caused young men to have no good choices.  

I recognize the spirit in which many of these CSA monuments were erected, and I don't approve of that.  But this was a mob, breaking laws for no good reason, and endangering bystanders with no valid defense for their actions.  If they're all expelled from the University, I'm fine with that.
I'm not
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2018, 05:49:29 PM »

All involved should be criminally charged with vandalism if the school will not discipline.
It's not vandalism if they are cleaning up trash.
They are the trash of this country.
This. I hope UNC will punish them (won't hold my breath though, academia is lost...) and I hope footage of this disturbing event can be used to help the GOP win elections -- in NC as well as elsewhere. Fits perfectly in the "left gone wild" narrative that needs to be promoted everywhere.

Yes, there are millions of untapped “resentful Confederate” votes out there Trump hasn’t turned out already. This will wake them up.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2018, 05:50:36 PM »

Neither the campus nor the local government want the monument to slavery there, but NC’s autocratic government has banned local governments from removing statues. When you shut down democracy, you get extralegal violence.

What are you famed tough guys going to do?

Once again, you apparently can't wait to break out the doc martins and put those red laces back on to "fight back" against the army of antifa you see waiting for you around every corner.

That doesn't answer the question. It's not particularly original at this point either.

The answer was already given to you above, by Brittain33.
Open your eyes. It's re-posted here ...

Spoilers: take down monuments to slavery by force.
Define "extralegal violence"

A mob vandalizing a statue, in this case. You guys keep pointing out it’s illegal.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2018, 05:53:56 PM »

All involved should be criminally charged with vandalism if the school will not discipline.
This. I hope UNC will punish them (won't hold my breath though, academia is lost...) and I hope footage of this disturbing event can be used to help the GOP win elections -- in NC as well as elsewhere. Fits perfectly in the "left gone wild" narrative that needs to be promoted everywhere.
Yes, there are millions of untapped “resentful Confederate” votes out there Trump hasn’t turned out already. This will wake them up.
If it helps him win a second time, that would be great.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2018, 06:02:43 PM »

DavidB supports those who scream-out "Jews will not replace us," as long as they vote for trump a second time. "That would be great???"
And then he wonders why various people in Atlas notice and question how his words are in direct contradiction to his heritage/faith.
Whatever.
IndustrialJustice

« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2018, 06:10:49 PM »

Awesome news, awesome students. Hoping for many more “extralegal” solutions like these.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2018, 06:17:46 PM »

DavidB supports those who scream-out "Jews will not replace us," as long as they vote for trump a second time. "That would be great???"
And then he wonders why various people in Atlas notice and question how his words are in direct contradiction to his heritage/faith.
Whatever.
I missed the part where everybody who dislikes students toppling this statue is chanting antisemitic statements. Quite a reach right there. All I was saying is that people's outrage over far-left students engaging in actions such as this one could very well help convince voters to re-elect Trump, and that this would be great.

All of the rest is your wrong assumption.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2018, 06:20:08 PM »

Yes I'm sure there are thousands of voters out there who are planning on voting against Trump but will vote for him upon hearing a statue they've probably never seen was toppled somewhere far away.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2018, 06:23:17 PM »

Yes I'm sure there are thousands of voters out there who are planning on voting against Trump but will vote for him upon hearing a statue they've probably never seen was toppled somewhere far away.
I don't think it is unlikely at all that there will be a lot of Trump 2016 voters who are disappointed in Trump's achievements (he hasn't done much for the "forgotten people" at all, particularly in economic terms), who might stay home altogether, but who will ultimately vote for him a second time when a Democratic candidate goes full idpol overdrive and Trump's campaign is focused on this type of derangement.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies