Opinion of J.K. Rowling (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 06:09:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of J.K. Rowling (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of J.K. Rowling?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 109

Author Topic: Opinion of J.K. Rowling  (Read 5823 times)
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« on: September 16, 2020, 12:09:17 PM »

I'm a fan of Harry Potter, but...politically I'd now support schools banning Harry Potter books because Rowling is a TERF.

That’s idiotic. Banning books for political/ideological reasons is always wrong. Especially when it doesn’t even have anything to do with the content of the book, rather that you just think the author should be “canceled” because she has some views you don’t like.

This is what people mean when they say the left today is like the Christian right of yesteryear. Banning Harry Potter books from schools? You literally can’t make this s—t up. You are supporting EXACTLY what they did! Horseshoe theory in action yet again.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 12:21:47 PM »

Writing Harry Potter = FF

Since writing Harry Potter, she's become pretty weird and annoying, but people overreact to her with such extreme vitriol and hatred that it makes me sympathize with her.

This is basically my take on it. I don’t really know what to make of all the online Twitter wars and s—t she’s gotten into. Some of what she has said seems reasonable to me, some a little more out there. But I don’t really care. Not even close to the most eccentric or offensive artist out there. Yet you wouldn’t know it by the insane overreactions people have to every word she says. Makes absolutely no sense to me, and does make me feel a little bad for her because it seems totally unwarranted.

As for the latest controversy, I really just don’t get that either. Isn’t this character supposed to explicitly be a cis man? Not actually trans? So how then can it be transphobic? I don’t see how it’s any worse than Silence of the Lambs, anyway, and don’t think anyone would make a big deal of it if they weren’t already predisposed to think Rowling is some kind of anti-trans bigot based on her tweets. Which last I saw amounted to “Hey I support trans people but also biological sex is real and affects women everywhere so we shouldn’t just pretend it doesn’t exist.” Which again seems totally reasonable to me.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 05:40:04 PM »

So wait, what I've read now is that this new character -- who was never even trans, just a crosdressing man -- isn't even a main character or focal point of the book. Just briefly discussed almost as an aside.

This makes the whole "controversy" even dumber.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies