Texas demographer: "It's basically over for Anglos [in Texas]" (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 11:48:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Texas demographer: "It's basically over for Anglos [in Texas]" (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Texas demographer: "It's basically over for Anglos [in Texas]"  (Read 3384 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« on: February 26, 2011, 02:34:16 PM »

So if Anglos are also leaving Texas, where are they going? Or is it just olds dying off in rural areas with no one to replace them?

What I found odd was that apparently there will be less Anglos in Harris county in 2040 than in 2000. Why would they be moving out of Houston? I thought people from all over the country were flocking there?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 11:07:06 PM »
« Edited: February 26, 2011, 11:08:43 PM by sbane »

So if Anglos are also leaving Texas, where are they going? Or is it just olds dying off in rural areas with no one to replace them?

What I found odd was that apparently there will be less Anglos in Harris county in 2040 than in 2000. Why would they be moving out of Houston? I thought people from all over the country were flocking there?

Anglos aren't moving out of Texas.  They're actually still moving in.  But Anglos are not having kids and ultimately will be dying off and/or they are marrying Hispanics, rendering their offspring Hispanic among those obsessed by race.

Excellent point. There is a high rate of intermarriage between Latinos and Anglos, meaning their kids might also be considered Latino.

Not a small part of the equation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montgomery_County,_Texas

The thing about Harris county though is that the northwest party still has plenty of open land that will be converted into exurbia and is quite similar to Montgomery County. Sort of votes the same too. I would expect the same sort of people are moving in as well.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 11:42:44 AM »

I finally got the new data to pull up in DRA.

Wow, Fort Bend county got really, really hosed for Pete Olson. You can just barely get it up to majority white by attaching the Lavaca, Fayette, and the other rural counties.

Not really.  Remember that if you take out the parts of Houston/Majority black areas on the Eastern Edge of the county (which aren't in his district anyway), Fort Bend voted like 58% for McCain, despite being less than 40% White.  Alot of the non-white population is the not-very-democratic Asians, who make up like 20% of the County's population and artificially reduce the "White" percentage relative to the Republican's performance in the county.

For another example, the current 7th district is less than 53% White according to the census, despite being so Republican the Democrats didn't even bother to contest it in 2010.  Texas as a whole is also only like 45% White and is still strongly Republican.

I wonder where the Vietnamese live in the Houston area and whether there is a difference between their voting habits and other Asian groups.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies