1996 United States Presidential Election (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 11:25:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  1996 United States Presidential Election (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Maybe we can get some excitement out of this.
President Mario Cuomo (Democrat-New York)/Secretary of Energy Edmund G. "Jerry" Brown, Jr. (Democrat-California)

Mr. Patrick J. "Pat" Buchanan (Republican-Virginia)/Former Governor Evan Mecham (Republican-Arizona)

Mr. Ralph Nader (Green-Connecticut)/Former Governor Richard "Dick" Lamm (Reform-Colorado)

Mr. Ralph Nader (Green-Connecticut)/Congressman Bernie Sanders (Independent-Vermont)

Mr. Harry Browne (Libertarian-Tennessee)/Ms. Jo Jorgensen (Libertarian-South Carolina)

Mr. H. Ross Perot (Independent-Texas)/Former Mayor Jesse Ventura (Independent-Minnesota)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 66

Author Topic: 1996 United States Presidential Election  (Read 10426 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: May 17, 2013, 01:55:49 PM »

The 1996 Republican National Convention left a bad taste in everyone's mouths. Buchanan, thanks to Dole's surrender after a poor showing and some very hard work by his campaign team, was able to secure a bare majority over his opponents. Nevertheless, several members of the GOP establishment abandoned their own nominee, and resorted to another unhappy loser--Ross Perot. Denied the nomination of his own Reform Party, Perot nevertheless struck out on his own and ran for the second time as an Independent, choosing ally Brooklyn Park Mayor Jesse Ventura for his Vice President. Ralph Nader on the other hand was a very fortunate man. He'd won both the Green and Reform Party nominations. Nevertheless, he was left with a conundrum as he'd been given two different Vice Presidential nominees. As for the President? He saw his chances at re-election looking pretty good, despite a challenge from his left flank by Nader and had won, despite a primary challenge, re-nomination. Have at it, folks!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 05:00:19 PM »

Roll Eyes

I voted Perot, very reluctantly. I respectfully disagree with Cathcon's decision, as it wasn't really a Republican convention.

We've all come to tolerate corruption here in Atlamerica, and it is near a way of life, as is one party hegemony. As well, abilities as "leader" of this God-forsaken realm have essentially been neutered by fatigue over the protests of various individuals who need not be named. Believe me, I would have loved to nominate Lugar/Wilson. However, any hope for a responsible nominating process was shot when like three people originally voted in the GOP primaries.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 12:56:01 PM »

Cuomo would win in the house since Nader's votes would go to him.

What do you mean "Cuomo would win in the House"? We are the House. Nader's votes will only go to Cuomo if they want to.

You're right, my bad.

And who's to say that Nader's support would go to Cuomo? I'll bet Nader would like opposition to international trade, gun control, a stronger EPA, and is pro-choice.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 10:59:48 AM »

So I guess all the Nader voters will decide the election if and when this goes to the House. This'll be fun.

Actually Cuomo is winning by three votes, so it is far from guaranteed that this will even go to the House Tongue

Although don't we have a sort of unofficial 35% cutoff point?

In all likelihood, the election will go to the House. In an election like, say, 1944, I orchestrated the House election. If there were, say, a three-way tie for first like in 1912, the "House election" would be left up to "the people" to decide. Given the current results, it would likely be decided by myself at this point.

Also, given the results of the Reform Party and the (lack of) difference between Nader's and Perot's colors, there may be some shuffling come the time I have to put up the map. I'm sure no one will mind.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 08:25:04 PM »

The 1996 United States Presidential Election
In the single closest election in United States history that had not gone to the House, President Cuomo secured re-election. With the Republicans in utter collapse and Reform nominee Ross Perot instead picking up a large part of Republican support, and with the nation's left-wing defecting to Nader, Cuomo was forced to play to the center and thanks to a strong electoral investment in the Mid-West, he was able to win the race against Nader and Perot. Many called the results "entirely unrealistic", but the fact was, that when the votes were tallied, somehow, Cuomo had a majority of the popular vote. Weird, right? And even weirder since he'd already copied the map to paint and it would take a long time to correct it.

President Mario Cuomo (Democrat-New York)/Secretary of Energy Edmund G. "Jerry" Brown, Jr. (Democrat-California) 274 electoral votes, 34.8% of the popular vote
Mr. Ralph Nader (Green-Connecticut)/Congressman Bernie Sanders (Green-Vermont) 137 electoral votes, 27.3% of the popular vote
Mr. H. Ross Perot (Reform-Texas)/Former Mayor Jesse Ventura (Reform-Minnesota) 127 electoral votes, 25.8% of the popular vote
Mr. Patrick J. "Pat" Buchanan (Republican-Virginia)/Former Governor Evan Mecham (Republican-Arizona) 6.1% of the popular vote
Mr. Harry Browne (Libertarian-Tennessee)/Ms. Jo Jorgensen (Libertarian-South Carolina) 6.1% of the popular vote
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies