Virginia 2005 Gubernatorial Election (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 02:54:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Virginia 2005 Gubernatorial Election (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Whom would you vote for?
Atny General Jerry Kilgore (R)

Lt. Governor Tim Kaine (D)

State Senator Russell Potts, Jr. (I)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 93

Author Topic: Virginia 2005 Gubernatorial Election  (Read 31134 times)
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« on: August 27, 2005, 10:23:34 AM »

Kilgore lashed out at illegal immigrants yesterday, opposing a bid to create a gathering area for day laborers in Herndon, which has had a huge influx of immigrants and id suffering from gang violence.  He had earlier proposed to police that when illegals commit a crime, they should be deported.  I won't be voting for Kilgore, but I like what he did here.

Illegal immigrantion is becoming an increasingly important factor in the Viriginia election this year.

I posted an article on the Gubernatorial elections thread about an illegal immigrant attacking a 15 year old girl.

Made big news in Virginia.

Barring some major turnaround, it looks like Kilgore gets elected.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 01:28:07 PM »

Just one more publicized crime by illegal aliens in Virginia will put this election out of reach for Kaine.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2005, 11:04:06 AM »

Kaine is no Warner.  Warner supports the Right to Keep and Bear Arms while Kaine is trying to hide his record of opposing that right.

Kilgore duels Kaine in hunt for sportsmen
Republican candidate for governor unveils a rival pro-gun group

BY REX BOWMAN
TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER Aug 31, 2005

VINTON -- A shootout for gun owners' votes escalated yesterday when Republican gubernatorial candidate Jerry W. Kilgore announced the creation of a "Sportsmen for Kilgore" coalition that will counter a similar group working for his Democratic rival

At a Vinton lodge just off the Blue Ridge Parkway, Kilgore's campaign further emphasized the purpose of the Kilgore coalition by announcing that its chairman is an NRA executive.

"Jerry's values are ours, they're genuine and consistent," said Chuck Cunningham, the National Rifle Association's director of federal affairs and the chairman of Sportsmen for Kilgore. "He's the one you can trust."

The effort by the Kilgore campaign to paint Kaine as an enemy of the Second Amendment and Kaine's effort to distance himself from gun-control rhetoric uttered while he was mayor of Richmond.

One of those claiming membership in Sportsmen for Kilgore is Sherry Crumley, chairwoman of the Department of Game and Inland Fisheries Board who four years ago headed Sportsmen for Mark Warner during the Democrat's successful run for the governorship.

Yesterday, Crumley said she thinks both Kaine and Kilgore are fine gentlemen, but she shares Kilgore's views on the Second Amendment. Additionally, she said, she and Kilgore share Southwest Virginia roots. She grew up in Bristol.

"I'm not a party person, I'm a single-issue voter," she said, noting that she is also a member of Sportsmen for Creigh Deeds. R. Creigh Deeds, running for attorney general, is a Democratic state senator from Bath County.

CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 09:07:26 AM »

As I predicted, illegal aliens are a factor in the Virginia Governor's race:

http://www.washtimes.com/metro/20050914-095901-1994r.htm
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 11:24:40 AM »

The thing is that Kaine is NO Warner.

Kaine is a liberal who is trying to hide his real positions.

The problem is that he is on the record, which Kilgore has pointed out.

Kaine's recent response on illegal aliens illustrates one of the reasons why he is likely to lose.

CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2005, 10:49:09 AM »

Uh, as I predicted, the illegal immigration issue is really bubbling in Virginia.

Liberals, like Kaine, want to reward illegal immigrants, whereas most Virginians want them deported.

Another article on the matter:

http://www.washtimes.com/metro/20051007-111712-1681r.htm
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2005, 05:19:16 PM »

Uh, as I predicted, the illegal immigration issue is really bubbling in Virginia.

Liberals, like Kaine, want to reward illegal immigrants, whereas most Virginians want them deported.

Another article on the matter:

http://www.washtimes.com/metro/20051007-111712-1681r.htm

I've got to say that while imigration is a growing issue nationwide these days, it really is not that important an issue in the VA race right now, sure its a factor but not nearly as big of a factor as you seem to think Carl...

Whats more i think its tough to call Kaine a liberal, sure he's anti-gun and anti-death penalty at the same time he's pro-life and a fiscal hawk those are not the tradtional hallmarks of a liberal democrat.

The impact of illegal immigration varies by state.

Virginia has had a lot of activity on the issue from violent crimes being committed by illegal aliens there making the news to the attempts of Virginia liberals to use taxpayer money to provide centers for illegal aliens!

I have posted specifics on the matter from a number of publications there.

Kilgore has made it clear that he wants law enforcement to participate in the expulsion of illegal aliens while Kaine has made it clear that he opposes such efforts AND supports public funding of centers for illegal aliens.

So, this issue has 'legs' in Virginia for two reasons:

(1) it is directly impacting Virginians (crime and taxes), and

(2) it is one of the few issues where Kaine hasn't tried to obscure the differences between the candidates.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2005, 09:55:17 PM »

kaine is absolutely right on the immigration issue.

So, you approve of people violating the immigration laws, and believe that they should be rewarded with taxpayer financed services.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2005, 04:32:07 PM »
« Edited: October 09, 2005, 06:55:19 PM by CARLHAYDEN »

Let me illustrate just how out of touch liberals are with public opinion.

CBS News Poll of 7/29 - 8/2/05

Should immigrants who are in the U.S illegally be allowed to apply for work permits which would allow them to stay and work in the United States, or shouldn't they be allow to do that?

Allowed                       32%
Not Allowed                 63
Unsure                          5

Gallup Poll of 6/25/05

Do you think the United States should or should not make it easier fo illegal immigrants to become citizens of the United States?

Should                      28%
Should Not               70
Unsure                       2

Both of the polls were deliberately designed to FAVOR the position opposed by the American people!  Despite the loaded and turgid wording, the people made their position abundantly clear.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2005, 07:02:42 PM »

Sould immigrants who are in the U.S illegally be allowed to apply for work permits which would allow them to stay and work in the United States, or shouldn't they be allow to do that?

Gallup Poll of 6/25/05

Do you think the United States should or should not make it easier fo illegal immigrants to become citizens of the United States?

Both of the polls were deliberately designed to FAVOR the position opposed by the American people!  Despite the loaded and turgid wording, the people made their position abundantly clear.
Yeah, because, obviously, a poll of a few thousand people should determine our policy towards immigrants because of people like you and Tom Tancredo.

Er, I cited two surveys which were rigged to give a FAVORABLE opinion of illegal aliens!

Let candidates for public office clearly state their policies on this matter and lets see how the public votes.

Kaine made the mistake of staking out a relatively clear position on this matter, which differs with that taken by Kilgore and the majority of the voting public in Virginia.  Big mistake by Kaine.

Generally, Kaine has tried to obscure his differences with Kilgore on the issues (for good reason).

CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2005, 07:05:35 PM »

Should immigrants who are in the U.S illegally be allowed to apply for work permits which would allow them to stay and work in the United States, or shouldn't they be allow to do that?

Gallup Poll of 6/25/05

Nice try at liberal bashing, but I oppose work permits.

So, will you join me (and the majority of Americans) in supporting expulsion of illegal aliens?
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2005, 10:54:05 PM »

Gallup Poll of 6/25/05

Nice try at liberal bashing, but I oppose work permits.

So, will you join me (and the majority of Americans) in supporting expulsion of illegal aliens?

Do a majority of Americans support expulsion? Anyways, what I am strongly against is guest worker programs.

I will simplify the question to your level.

Do you believe that illegal aliens currently in this country should be allowed to stay here?
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2005, 08:31:26 PM »

I've been trying to tell everyone that Kaine is NOT Warner redux

Kaine is a LIBERAL.

He is opposed to the right to keep and bear arms.

He doesn't want to DO anything to stop illegal immigration.

He opposes capital punishment.

He support tax increases per se.

He is pretending is is antiabortion (ROTFLMAO).

Kilgore is verbally challenged, and Kaine has had help in the debates from the VERY partial moderator.

However, facts are important, and although he has generally tried to evade the facts, Kaine is NOT Warner, and IS a loser.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2005, 08:43:33 AM »

Well, lets look at the record:

1. Abortion

Kaine SAYS he is sort of opposed to abortion

However, what he means by that is that he wants voters who are opposed to abortion to vote for him.

He IS a strong supporter of Roe v. Wade,  which the courts have held prevents limitations upon abortion which Kaine SAYS he supports.

In short, it is a contradiction of position.  An attempt to have your cake and eat it too.

2. Taxes

While it may occasionally be necessary to raise taxes (the Warner position), the idea that taxes should be increased in just about every situation (the Kaine position) is quite different.

3. Others Issues

I take it you have conceded that his is opposed to the right to keep and bear arms, doesn't want to DO anything to stop illegal immigration and opposes the death penalty.

CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2005, 07:41:45 PM »

Frodo,

Does the governor and lt governor run on the same ticket or are they seperate?

So that's what you meant.....

As MHS2002 has said, they are elected separately -not in partisan sets.  Virginia has had in the past a mix of Republicans and Democrats in these top three seats in the executive branch. 

Kaine ran two points behind Warner four years ago, barely clearing 50% of the vote (the only other candidate that year was a Libertarian).

This year the third candidate running is a liberal who is a real threat to Kaine's vote in northern Virginia (the DC suburbs).
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2005, 09:17:03 AM »

Here's an article from the Norfolk Pilot I think everyone should read:

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=93408&ran=120909&tref=po

I think I can guess who Georgie Smith is going to vote for for Govenor.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2005, 09:18:57 AM »

Actually, the public polls being released are weighted to the left (the private ones, as was the case in the 1980 Presidential election are more accurate).

Kaine has finally realized that he cannot plausibly pretend to be a moderate (Kilgore has sliced and diced him on that) and that Potts is NOT going to drop out and is pulling several points from Kaine.

Ergo, when dishonesty doesn't work, try honesty.

CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2005, 08:33:32 PM »
« Edited: October 21, 2005, 08:48:13 AM by CARLHAYDEN »

Just a little info to depress the Kaine supporters

In the 2001 General Election

Candidate     Office                         Percentage of Vote

Kilgore          Attorney General               60.01

Warner         Govenor                            52.16

Kaine            Lieutenant Govenor          50.35
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2005, 08:49:06 AM »

Thanks for pointing out the typo,

its was 2001.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2005, 11:27:04 AM »

Not really.

Look a little deeper at the "undecideds."

in 2004 the likely voters in that pool voted for Bush over Kerry by nearly three to one!

The undecideds are undecided because they recognize what just about everyone does, that Kilgore is a lackluster candidate.

On election day they will break to kilgore by about two to one.

Kaine has had a problem throughout the campaign as to his identity.

Either he could be Warner redux (and abandon Kaine's past positions on several issues) or he could be authenic Kaine (a liberal).

Kaine could have confessed that his past opposition to the right to keep and bear arms was mistaken. and agreed with Kilgore on the need to stop illegal immigation, in which case he would probably have a slight lead today.

Oh, and BTW, on the Mason-Dixon polls:

Candidate     Recent     July     Difference

Kilgore            44%       37%    +7%

Kaine              42          38       +4

Potts                5            9        -4
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2005, 03:38:24 PM »

Potts is likey to get about five per cent of the vote (the hard core liberals in Virginia).

Think of him as John Anderson.

If he weren't in the race then it would probably be pretty close to 50/50 (Kilgore is a lackluster candidate).

However, with him in the race Kaine has little chance of winning.

Look at the odds at Tradesports.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2005, 04:08:30 PM »

Obviously Kilgore is a poor communicator (and not the brightest of candidates) BUT, on election day I believe (assuming he doesn't do something stupid in the next couple of weeks) that he will beat Kaine by a comfortable (but not large margin).

My prediction:

Kilgore     51%
Kaine       44
Potts          5

On wildcard for which I have No information is turnout.

CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2005, 09:01:43 AM »

I'm with Carl on this one. Much as I would like Kaine to win, I don' think he will. I don't think it will be quite as much of a blow-out as Carl thinks (7%), a tad lower like 4-6. But not sufficiently close to be called a tossup. It looks like Virginia might turn into another Ohio: Republican-leaning battleground where the Republican party controls everything on the state level (though it's a while left before VA becomes as close as Ohio, obviously). And that sucks for the Dems.

Actually, the Democrat nominee for Attorney General is going to win big.

Unlike Kaine, he doesn't oppose the right to keep and bear arms and hasn't come out for spending tax money for centers to get jobs for illegal aliens.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2005, 09:07:35 PM »

Some interesting news...  According to some sources Warner has pulled the plug on Kaine for Governor.

From Outside The Beltway:

We have learned here at CW, from sources involved with the General Assembly and close to a high ranking Warner administration official, some amazing news.

At the Governor's senior staff meeting this morning, the decision was made to "pull the plug" on Tim Kaine's campaign. No more will Warner assist the Kaine campaign in major ways. No more public appearances, etc.

According to our sources, Warner is said to have no interest in seeing to fruition, a Tim Kaine Administration. Aides apparently believe that a Kaine administration would steal the limelight from potential Presidential candidate, Gov. Mark Warner. Stay tuned...this should be interesting.

Actually, the situation is simpler and less nefarious than you suggest.

Kaine could have said that like Paul on the road to Damascus, he had seen  the light and repented his earlier opposition to the right to keep and bear arms.  He didn't

He embraced illegal aliens.

Kaine has been digging his own political grave, refusing to listen to Warner.

So, why should Warner let Kaine drag him down.

Kaine is an ingrate who only got elected Lt. Gov. by riding on Warner's /coatrails'.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2005, 08:42:00 PM »

Here's an article from the Washington Post. 

Notice how the status of the accused is barely mentioned eliptically at the end of the article.

Va. Day Laborer Held in Slaying Of Contractor

By Tom Jackman
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, August 31, 2005

A day laborer from Annandale has been charged with murder in the stabbing death of a Fairfax County contractor who had hired him to work in a Chevy Chase home, police said yesterday.

The slaying occurred after the day laborer stole stereo equipment and jewelry from the house where they were working, court records say.

Carlos H. Bustamante Medieta is charged in Montgomery. (Fairfax County Police Department - Fairfax County Police Department)

The issue of day laborers gathering informally to be hired by contractors has been contentious recently, particularly in Herndon, where the town government is trying to accommodate workers with a gathering place away from a 7-Eleven on Herndon's main street. Police said yesterday that other day laborers were crucial in helping police make an arrest in the slaying.

"I know there's been a lot of discussion about day laborers," said Lt. Bruce Guth, a Fairfax homicide division supervisor. "But the people down there were more than helpful and willing to do what they could do."

The smoldering body of Hak Bong Kim, 55, was discovered Aug. 15 in the woods near St. Michael's Catholic Church on Ravensworth Road in Annandale. The body was so badly burned that police initially could not tell whether it was that of a man or a woman. Kim's family had reported him missing the night before, so detectives were quickly able to obtain dental records and identify Kim.

Kim, who lived in Burke, was a self-employed carpenter who did a variety of home repair jobs, a family member said last week. But the family did not know where he had been working the day of his disappearance, and his work van also was missing.

The day after Kim's body was found, the homeowner in Chevy Chase returned from vacation to find that someone had taken a DVD player, gold jewelry, class rings and coins, court records show. Spots of blood were on the floor, Montgomery County Police Lt. Phil Raum said, and the contractor the family had hired several times in the past was nowhere to be found: Hak Kim.

Montgomery and Fairfax police launched a joint investigation. Police found unspecified evidence that led them to a 7-Eleven store in Annandale where day laborers congregate, Guth said, and detectives began reviewing the store's surveillance tapes, hoping to find footage of Kim.

It worked. After reviewing dozens of tapes, Guth said, detectives spotted Kim and another man. The police printed up a poster with the unknown man's face and offered a $1,000 reward. Then they sent Spanish-speaking officers to several day-laborer gathering sites to try to identify him.

"Fifteen minutes into it, somebody knew who it was," Guth said. He also said the tipster didn't want the reward money but just wanted to help solve the case. "He thought it was the right thing to do," Guth said, although he said police would probably give him the money anyway.

"Once we had a name, it was just a matter of finding him," Guth said.

The name was Carlos H. Bustamante Medieta, and police found him Monday afternoon. He agreed to go with Fairfax detectives back to police headquarters.

Once there, according to a search warrant affidavit written by Fairfax homicide Detective Dennis Harris, Bustamante admitted killing Kim in Chevy Chase, then taking his body to Annandale and trying to dispose of it by burning it in a pit.

Bustamante, 29, was arrested, and Montgomery police obtained a warrant charging him with first-degree murder. He is being held in the Fairfax County jail pending extradition.

Police searched Bustamante's home in the 4500 block of King Edward Court at 2 a.m. yesterday. Records show they found the same type of DVD player stolen from Chevy Chase, a plastic storage bag containing assorted jewelry and a plastic bowl holding coins. They also seized a folding knife. Police said yesterday that Kim died of multiple stab wounds.

Police said Bustamante is from Honduras. They did not know how long he had been in the country, and they did not think he was here legally. He speaks little English, and an interpreter was used to interrogate him, Harris's affidavit said.

Kim was trusted and loved by his customers, his family said, and Raum said the Chevy Chase homeowners had hired him before and had given him a key to work in their house while they were gone. Police believe he was killed in their house on Warwick Place in the Friendship Heights neighborhood.
-----

The key statement (near the end of the article)

"Police said Bustamante is from Honduras. They did not know how long he had been in the country, and they did not think he was here legally."

Just remember, I told you so weeks ago!

Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies