Virginia 2005 Gubernatorial Election (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 05:27:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Virginia 2005 Gubernatorial Election (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Whom would you vote for?
Atny General Jerry Kilgore (R)

Lt. Governor Tim Kaine (D)

State Senator Russell Potts, Jr. (I)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 93

Author Topic: Virginia 2005 Gubernatorial Election  (Read 31139 times)
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« on: August 07, 2005, 10:18:18 PM »

I believe the race is in a dead heat right now.  Neither candidate has come out on top, with mud-slinging mostly taking place between the two, i.e. "Kilgore's fiscally irresponsible" and Kaine has "more flip-flops than Virginia Beach."  As someone pointed out, the tax raise was hardly hated by Virginians, as it has helped overcome a massive deficit left by Gilmore, and preserve the fiscal stability of state institutions such as public schools and universities.  I think Kaine could win it but so could Kilgore, though neither candidate will trounce the other.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2005, 08:55:23 AM »

As someone pointed out, the tax raise was hardly hated by Virginians, as it has helped overcome a massive deficit left by Gilmore, and preserve the fiscal stability of state institutions such as public schools and universities. 

Fair comment. It's understandable Democrats having, as opposed to wanting,  to raise taxes, when they inherit a right old GOP mess

Dave

Some people just have to realize that in some situations taxes are necessary.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2005, 10:52:36 AM »

Having a surplus means we can use it to improve our education and transportation systems.  It's still better than the massive deficit of the Gilmore administration.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2005, 12:58:56 PM »

Gilmore just happened to be Governor during a recession.

The reality is that Mark Warner promised not to raise taxes, then raised them, and then there was a budget surplus. That's, at the very least, dishonest.

Virginia already spends plenty on education and transportation. The problem is that, especially with regard to transportation, it's spent stupidly, and Warner was at the forefront of the idiot brigade on some of those issues.

It wasn't just a recession.  Gilmore's work with the car tax helped put the state $1.5 billion in the hole.  He helped institute SOL tests, which forces teachers to teach to a test and not broaden their curriculum.  One of the only good things that he did was actually making sure that the lottery money actually went to public schools instead of some slush fund. 

Warner may have said that he would not raise taxes, and that was a blunder on his part.  But Virginia's constitution requires that we balance the budget, and he was facing the worst budget crisis in Virginia history.  What would you have done?

Splits in the GOP also gave Warner cover-- the tax increase was aided by leftist Republicans (which it has to be given the GOP's domination of the legislature) so Warner himself was not really blamed. Even in the ad campaigns against the increase the legislators were more the target than Warner because they have to run again.

I realize that, and he should be commended with being able to engineer that tax proposal.  It's tough getting things done when the opposition controls the legislature.  Those Republicans who voted for the budget were not leftists, they were moderates.  Voting for a tax increase doesn't automatically make you a leftist/communist-sympathizer.

Not that jfern knows anything about VA politics, other than Warner is a liberal Democrat playing moderate and thus a 2008 hopeful for his beleaguered party.

jfern probably doesn't know about the referenda.  But you and I probably know as much about California politics as he does about Virginia.
I don't think Warner is as liberal as you think.  He's certainly less liberal than previous candidates, like Don Beyer.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 01:42:30 PM »

Trust me, Warner is liberal. jfern and his ilk obviously think so, otherwise they wouldn't support him. I have connections to his administration and, at least socially, the guy is understood to be liberal.

As Hillary's VP candidate, Warner will not carry VA, which is all that matters anyway. If he doesn't even get that gig, he'll probably run another race of some kind (Governor again, Senate).

But should he do that, the groups he's pissed off will actually go up against him, rather than just sitting it out (teacher's union, antitax groups, etc.).

What are your "connections"?  And you still didn't answer my question on the tax hike.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2005, 02:02:06 PM »

I hardly think that Warner is anywhere near communist.  Maybe they too see that nominating centrist is the only way to win.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2005, 02:37:36 PM »

How liberal is Mark Warner?

He is pro-death penalty and for mandatory 3 strikes laws, wants to end racial profiling, abolish parole, he is pro-Second Amendment, opposes immigration.  Despite his tax raise, he is also somewhat fiscally conservative, supporting free trade.  However, he is environmentally friendly, pro-UN, and is pro-choice.  So at best he is a moderate. 
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2005, 02:56:43 PM »

That's the one kicker that might cause me to vote for someone else in the primary. I can't support someone who will continue to destroy the American working class.

Does he favor any new free trade policies? I'd like to hear his platform before jumping to any conclusions.

I don't know about CAFTA, but he supports NAFTA, GATT, and the WTO.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2005, 03:20:38 PM »

I don't know about CAFTA, but he supports NAFTA, GATT, and the WTO.

Those have already been enacted, so it wouldn't neccessarily dissuade me from voting for him in the primary.

But any further policies to destroy the economic future of the middle class would.

If it helps you any, he's trying to promote English among Hispanic immigrants in Northern Virginia so they get assimilated better instead of sticking out.  That's a big plus.  He's for stricter immigration controls as well.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2005, 03:44:35 PM »

Stricter immigration controls are a big plus for me.

I will vote mainly based on economic issues (and I consider immigration an economic issue as well).

Good for you.  I'm glad we have something in common.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2005, 09:23:18 PM »

Dude, what's with Kilgore?  I know he's worried that Potts might take votes away from him, but just agree to a debate already!  Instantly, without polls! 
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2005, 07:49:09 AM »

Kilgore lashed out at illegal immigrants yesterday, opposing a bid to create a gathering area for day laborers in Herndon, which has had a huge influx of immigrants and id suffering from gang violence.  He had earlier proposed to police that when illegals commit a crime, they should be deported.  I won't be voting for Kilgore, but I like what he did here.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2005, 08:52:26 PM »

I'm going home to Virginia to vote this weekend.  For all those predicting a sure Kilgore victory, I'm not so sure.  I believe it'll be a toss-up, and Kaine still has a chance to pull it off.  However, I will not be shocked if Kaine loses.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2005, 09:12:31 PM »

I'm going home to Virginia to vote this weekend.  For all those predicting a sure Kilgore victory, I'm not so sure.  I believe it'll be a toss-up, and Kaine still has a chance to pull it off.  However, I will not be shocked if Kaine loses.

Where are you currently at?

I'm in New York attending college.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2005, 09:17:04 PM »

I'm going home to Virginia to vote this weekend.  For all those predicting a sure Kilgore victory, I'm not so sure. 

Who are you going to vote for?

Kaine, of course.  The only thing I agree with Kilgore on is the illegal immigration issue, but aside from that I don't see anything that he plans to offer that will help Virginia. 
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2005, 09:51:47 PM »
« Edited: October 31, 2005, 09:57:12 PM by Virginian87 »

I'm curious, why do you feel you have to vote in person rather than simply vote absentee?  You can vote absentee like I did when I went to college at the University of Washington in Seattle. 

And on a separate note, I know you are currently attending college in New York, but where in Virginia do you live (or rather, your parents)?  Who is your congressman?

Well, another reason I'm going home is to visit my folks (I have a five-day weekend).  I live in Northern Virginia, but unlike many Northern Virginians I do see it as a part of Virginia and not another state (like some of my liberal friends).  Rep. Tom Davis (R) is my congressman, and I believe he's doing a pretty good job too.  He's not too much of an extremist and overall a good guy.

As to my other votes:

I support Creigh Deeds for Attorney General.  He's the right kind if Democrat for higher office in Virginia -Southern, socially moderate, from the Shenandoah Valley.  We could use more like him.  I don't know who I will support for Lt. Governor.  Byrne is an idiot and the worst possible choice for the job.  She's a stereotypical Northern Virginia leftist.  I voted in the primaries, and I can't believe that Virginia Democrats would think she could win in this state.  Chap Petersen should be the person running in her place.  He's a moderate from Fairfax and was up and coming in the state Democratic Party.  Oh well.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2005, 07:42:08 PM »

Is northern virginia a solid dem area or is it a tossup or what? Just wondering

Northern Virginia has been trending Democratic, and it strongly supported Warner in 2001.  It is likely that Kaine will draw the most votes here and in his hometown, Richmond.  Hopefully, he can build on Warner's momentum.  His greatest weakness will be the panhandle, which is Kilgore's home.  Amazingly enough, despite the economic problems of that area (and southside Virginia in general) most people are single-issue voters and side with the Republicans over the values debate or gun control.  Sad, really.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies