Debate! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 05:40:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Debate! (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Debate!  (Read 4163 times)
CultureKing
United States

« on: August 17, 2008, 11:26:44 PM »

Okay, then we'll get started. I'll figure out how I should pace it. Tongue

Anyway, first question. The Pacific Region recently passed an initiative that called for the annexation of Turkey in reaction to an attack by Turkish hackers. How do you, the candidates, feel about annexing Turkey?

In dangerous times like these we need to do everything in our power to defend our great nation. Turkey has greatly wronged our people and in an effort to push the national government into taking some sort of action the people of the Pacific have raised the issue. While this may not be the best option something does need to be done and I admire the people of the Pacific for offering up an option for action. Debate on the national level must take place on what to do, clearly someone must be held accountable to some level for the viscous attacks on the citizens of our nation.

-Senator CultureKing

Remember that I too am running (whoot for write-in campaign's!)
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 10:14:40 PM »

Okay, time for the second question. To the candidates who have not answered yet, feel free to respond to the first question, if you want.

Second question. To shamelessly self-promote, what would you think of a proposal to re-introduce Senate districts alongside regional elections & nationwide PR, provided that these districts were drawn to maximize electoral competition? Please bare in mind that electoral competition is impossible to guarantee, as a popular candidate can easily win any race.

I like the system we are currently on, it promotes a good level of competition while making sure the the regions have some say on the federal level.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 05:41:56 PM »

I am all for a game manager, who hopefully would be nominated and confirmed by the senate. Details would have to be debated in the senate.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 09:30:59 PM »

There really seems to be no need for this legislation. If a voter was able to register withing 10 days of an election that would make it possible for that voter to immediately vote in the absentee section of the election. There needs to be some period of time between which someone can register and then vote. I will be voting no on this legislation, mainly because I think our current law is fine as is.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 07:16:26 PM »

Fifth question. A constitutional amendment just came before the Senate (link to it here). The amendment would give the SoFA a full week within which to open the voting booth for Senatorial & Presidential elections. How would you vote on this bill if elected Senator?

To be honest I don't have a solid position on this issue at this point in time. I think at the moment I am leaning towards leaving things as they currently are because I don't see any problems with the system as it currently stands, but I am open to the idea if someone can argue some well-placed points for it. Remember that it is important to have a senator that can acknowledge a good point when he sees one and who is open to new ideas.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 09:09:08 PM »

Last question. A bill is currently being debated (link to it here) that would require that political parties be registered with the Department of Forum Affairs. How would you vote on this bill?

Meh, leave things the way they are, I feel a more fluid system makes Atlasia a more interesting place.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 02:50:55 AM »

It has been a long and hard campaign. Eventhough we have been faced with the difficulty of running a write-in campaign you have answered and hopefully will deliver. After two terms as your senator it still amazes me to see how great this nation can be and how supportive everyone truly is. I want to remind everyone to vote in this election and let your voice be heard, even if it is not a vote for me. All of Atlasia must be heard and represented in the Senate and that means some will go on to become great senators while other still qualified candidates may end up just short. But the process that we have gone through has shown us how devoted every Atlasian can be and for this I would like to thank the voters and my opponents. As the election draws down I want you to think about what is best for Atlasia before you vote and remember that as your senator I have been active in fighting for you in the senate and I will continue working for all of you if given the chance. So lets keep voting and make sure that Atlasia is well represented in the senate!
-Senator CultureKing
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies