NM Senate- Progressive challengers defeat five conservative Democrats (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 01:49:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NM Senate- Progressive challengers defeat five conservative Democrats (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NM Senate- Progressive challengers defeat five conservative Democrats  (Read 4018 times)
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« on: June 04, 2020, 03:02:24 AM »

As a Democrat who can be defined as pro-life much like the five incumbents who lost, I don't think abortion should be a litmus test, and honestly I think a decent chunk of the red avatars here would agree with me (the more activist base not so much). That's not really the problem here. It's their more conservative fiscal views that's the real problem here and in similar primaries (IL-03) in the past. I would have voted against all five incumbents because I prioritize economic bread and butter issues over the traditional culture war battles. If I wanted a party that emphasized the latter, I'd be a Republican.

In regards to the muh big tent argument, obviously, you don't want too small of a tent because that narrows the swath of possible voters. On the other hand, the two parties can't be effectively identical either. On certain issues, lines need to be drawn and everything I know about these five seem to imply they're past that line given their alliances with Republicans to implement what smells like bad policy.

Lack of bipartisnasism and extremism in politics are serious issues and I can't say I don't have problems with certain aspects of the far left (depending on how you'd define that term of course, there's a major difference between Illhan Omar who is an undisciplined anti-semite to AOC who is a bit young but well meaning to someone more generic and inoffensive like TLF) or the right to far out. There has obviously been a decline of moderates across the political spectrum as polarization intensified. But shouting on a rooftop we need more moderates pushing the same old policies isn't the solution either because moderate hero politics pushed policies that in my view (and people are welcome to disagree on this) aren't good for the middle class and in turn fueled the rise in polarization and a drop in trust of institutions.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies