NM Senate- Progressive challengers defeat five conservative Democrats
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:39:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NM Senate- Progressive challengers defeat five conservative Democrats
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: NM Senate- Progressive challengers defeat five conservative Democrats  (Read 3972 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 03, 2020, 06:22:05 AM »

It seems like New Mexico progressives had a major breakthrough. They (apparently) defeated five conservative Democratic senators who had formed an IDC-like coalition with Republicans that controlled the senate, despite it being nominally 26-16 Democratic.
Among the losers are President pro Tempore, Mary Kay Papen, and the powerful chairman of the Finance Committee, Arthur Smith. 

Panda Express

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 06:46:10 AM »

Mary Kay Papen is 88 years old. Ridiculous.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 06:46:36 AM »

For those wondering, Arthur Smith's loss and Sanchez's loss are the only ones that have a real impact on the November races. Smith's district was Trump +9 in southern New Mexico, but is pretty swingy. It went for Torres-Small at the Congressional level by about 5 points in 2018. Sanchez's seat was a 14-vote Trump win in 2016.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 09:43:18 AM »
« Edited: June 03, 2020, 09:50:33 AM by smoltchanov »

Looking at legislator's ACU ratings - it seems, that the word "conservative" must be used here in strictly relative sense (as all 5 have 20-30 ratings by ACU standards). Real conservatives in the past usually had 80+ from ACU... At least - 70. Former Democratic congressman from New Mexico Harold Runnels, for example, had lifetime ACU rating 79 (a couple percentages higher, then his Republican counterpart, btw..)
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 10:04:00 AM »

Looking at legislator's ACU ratings - it seems, that the word "conservative" must be used here in strictly relative sense (as all 5 have 20-30 ratings by ACU standards). Real conservatives in the past usually had 80+ from ACU... At least - 70. Former Democratic congressman from New Mexico Harold Runnels, for example, had lifetime ACU rating 79 (a couple percentages higher, then his Republican counterpart, btw..)

yeah, this is a disappointing sign of the Democrats' continued leftward lurch excluding moderates, not some toppling of conservative scions
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 10:07:20 AM »

Good to see. Perhaps now, New Mexico can actually push some long-sought after reforms.
TrendsareUsuallyReal
TrendsareReal
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2020, 10:54:00 AM »

yeah, this is a disappointing sign of the Democrats' continued leftward lurch excluding moderates, not some toppling of conservative scions

You are using ACU as a barometer of conservatism when they routinely rate far right Republicans as lefties
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2020, 11:00:44 AM »
« Edited: June 03, 2020, 12:43:54 PM by smoltchanov »

You are using ACU as a barometer of conservatism when they routinely rate far right Republicans as lefties

Give better barometer for state legislators. ADA doesn't rate them (only Congress), and the only one organization i know, which does (for all 50 states and 99 legislatures) - ACU.... Anyway - there is BIG difference between 20-30 and 79... Of course - ACU is biased. But i hope it's biased in the same way in different states. When i see Democratic legislators like Hoffman (Alaska, lifetime - 69), Sheldon (Washington, 73) or even Brown (Louisiana, 65) - i understand usage of word "conservative" as applicable to them (even though - they are still LESS conservative, then some Democratic legislators even a decade ago). But 20-30 - sorry, these are moderates at most...
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2020, 12:42:18 PM »

I did not find any information that these Democrats formed a coalition with the Republicans, and in Wikipedia it is the Democrat who is listed as the Majority Leader. I am very sorry that the Democrats, looking at Trump, are doing the same (alienating moderate voters, moving far to the left). I hope that the Democratic Party will lose all these races in November and understand its mistakes. I hope that Joe Biden will return bipartisanship and moderate politics to the Democratic Party.

Also (don't belongs to this topic), I will miss you, Dan Lipinski, you were very, very good Congressman
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2020, 12:46:55 PM »

I did not find any information that these Democrats formed a coalition with the Republicans, and in Wikipedia it is the Democrat who is listed as the Majority Leader. I am very sorry that the Democrats, looking at Trump, are doing the same (alienating moderate voters, moving far to the left). I hope that the Democratic Party will lose all these races in November and understand its mistakes. I hope that Joe Biden will return bipartisanship and moderate politics to the Democratic Party.

Also (don't belongs to this topic), I will miss you, Dan Lipinski, you were very, very good Congressman

Conservative Democrats = “I hope progressive Democrats who won their primary fair and square loss their elections to Republicans!”

Also Conservative Democrats = “How DARE you critique our lord and savior Joe Biden?! Even one criticism of Joe Biden might as well be a vote for TRUMP!”

Unamused
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2020, 12:50:55 PM »

If the progressives had a better message that resonated enough with the people to win, what exactly is the issue here? Progressive Democrats aren’t allowed to fight for our vision inside the party? Honestly people like you might as well just advocate for abolishing the primary system all together and going back to smoke filled back rooms / conventions.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2020, 12:55:16 PM »

If the progressives had a better message that resonated enough with the people to win, what exactly is the issue here? Progressive Democrats aren’t allowed to fight for our vision inside the party? Honestly people like you might as well just advocate for abolishing the primary system all together and going back to smoke filled back rooms / conventions.

Well, to be honest - the smoke-filled rooms leaders frequently were much more adept in nominating candidates, who suited their districts extremely well, then present day "idiotic activst's dominated" system, where Democrats stubbornly nominate "bold progressives" even in conservative seats, and Republicans nominate right-wingers in liberal ones.....
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2020, 12:58:41 PM »

Unlikely. 2 of these 5 districts gave Hillary about 63 and 60%. 3 other - possibly.
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2020, 01:04:50 PM »

Well, to be honest - the smoke-filled rooms leaders frequently were much more adept in nominating candidates, who suited their districts extremely well, then present day "idiotic activst's dominated" system, where Democrats stubbornly nominate "bold progressives" even in conservative seats, and Republicans nominate right-wingers in liberal ones.....

Even if you think that’s true, and I have my doubts as to that ‘conventional wisdom’, it isn’t worth sacrificing the transparency and engagement of the primary process in my opinion, which is actually one of the few facets of America’s electoral system I favor over other systems. If you want to go back to back room deal making go ahead and advocate for it at the convention, I like our open primary process, even when it doesn’t benefit my side (though yes, openness and transparency being inherent progressive values, it usually does benefit progressives).
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2020, 01:07:47 PM »

Three of these districts voted Clinton, one is a super narrow Trump seat that Biden will likely win in November, and even the Trump +9 seat voted for Democratic for Congress by a healthy margin (and well to the left of NM-02).

These aren’t incumbents that were being elected for being conservatives in conservative areas.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2020, 01:12:39 PM »

Conservative Democrats = “I hope progressive Democrats who won their primary fair and square loss their elections to Republicans!”

Also Conservative Democrats = “How DARE you critique our lord and savior Joe Biden?! Even one criticism of Joe Biden might as well be a vote for TRUMP!”

Unamused

I don't think it's better to have a Republican in Congress than a progressive Democrat (but not like Tlaib or Omar - Generic Republican is better than them). I hope they lose because then maybe Democratic voters will finally understand that moderate voters cannot be ignored. The Democratic Party should be for everyone, but more and more it looks like it is only for the ultra-left
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2020, 01:16:49 PM »

Even if you think that’s true, and I have my doubts as to that ‘conventional wisdom’, it isn’t worth sacrificing the transparency and engagement of the primary process in my opinion, which is actually one of the few facets of America’s electoral system I favor over other systems. If you want to go back to back room deal making go ahead and advocate for it at the convention, I like our open primary process, even when it doesn’t benefit my side (though yes, openness and transparency being inherent progressive values, it usually does benefit progressives).

My lamentation of how the election turned out doesn't mean that I support abolishing democracy. That's an absurd allegation to lob. I just think it sucks that conservative Democrats are getting squeezed out. We can disagree on that without suggesting that the other wants the old machine back.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2020, 01:19:01 PM »

Unlikely. 2 of these 5 districts gave Hillary about 63 and 60%. 3 other - possibly.

Yes, I know, but I hope that they lose, so Democratic Party will stop expelling the moderates from their ranks. We need more moderate Democrats and moderate Republicans. We need bipartisanship again and we need more bipartisanship.

To super-progressive Democrats, I don't say that Democratic Party doesn't need ultra-left members and/or voters. Centrist and conservative Democrats hear you, your voice and choice, but looks like ultra-left members think that moderate Democrats should be ignored
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2020, 01:19:46 PM »

Three of these districts voted Clinton, one is a super narrow Trump seat that Biden will likely win in November, and even the Trump +9 seat voted for Democratic for Congress by a healthy margin (and well to the left of NM-02).

These aren’t incumbents that were being elected for being conservatives in conservative areas.

I wrote about that (about 2, third was very narrow Clinton) above. But tendency to run "ideologically pure" candidates even in the districts, which favors opposite views is absolutely clear of late. Both in Democratic and Republican primaries..
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2020, 01:21:54 PM »

Yes, I know, but I hope that they lose, so Democratic Party will stop expelling the moderates from their ranks. We need more moderate Democrats and moderate Republicans. We need bipartisanship again and we need more bipartisanship.

To super-progressive Democrats, I don't say that Democratic Party doesn't need ultra-left members and/or voters. Centrist and conservative Democrats hear you, your voice and choice, but looks like ultra-left members think that moderate Democrats should be ignored

Dude, get a grip.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2020, 01:22:28 PM »

Unamused

I don't think it's better to have a Republican in Congress than a progressive Democrat (but not like Tlaib or Omar - Generic Republican is better than them). I hope they lose because then maybe Democratic voters will finally understand that moderate voters cannot be ignored. The Democratic Party should be for everyone, but more and more it looks like it is only for the ultra-left

Absolutely. The Republican party is a party of ultra-right ONLY now, the Democratic - rapidly becomes  party of ultra-left ONLY....
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2020, 01:23:03 PM »

Dude, get a grip.

Dude, get a brains...
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2020, 01:26:03 PM »

Unamused

What reality do you live in. It’s the exact opposite.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2020, 01:27:48 PM »
« Edited: June 03, 2020, 01:30:53 PM by smoltchanov »

Unamused

You deny, that ultra-left has bigger and bigger influence in the party with every passing year? Not even funny..... 50 years ago it was impossible to fathom someone like Ilhan Omar to be a Congresswoman. Even Phil Burton looks to be "ultraconservative" in comparison.
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2020, 01:31:09 PM »

Unamused

You deny, that ultra-left has bigger and bigger influence in the party with every passing year? Not even funny.....

Larger influence? Sure, but even then it’s only comparing to the ultra-moderate / establishment domination of the Democratic Party in the 80’s and particularly the 90’s that progressive influence has begun to grow, and even then only in the latter half of the 2000’s.

For the better, I might add. But that’s a different conversation.

To suggest Moderate’s are being ‘silenced’ is ridiculous with Joe Biden as the nominee, Hillary Clinton and Obama (a former New Democrat aligned Democrat himself) as our former nominee’s and the New Democrats still being the largest caucus in the party.

Get a grip. Y’all are doing the silencing, not being silenced, lmao.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies