Which states will trend the most Democratic/Republican?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 02:02:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Which states will trend the most Democratic/Republican?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: So which will it be (assuming it is a Clinton v. Trump general election)?
California (trend D)

Maryland (trend D)

New Hampshire(trend D)

Utah (trend D)

Other (trend D)

Arkansas (trend R)

Kentucky (trend R)

Pennsylvania (trend R)

West Virginia (trend R)

Other (trend R)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 53

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Which states will trend the most Democratic/Republican?  (Read 706 times)
ProgCon
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 11, 2016, 11:48:10 PM »

I have found myself pondering this question, especially in a unique Clinton v. Trump election. I mean no offense to anyone who is a Cruz or Sanders fan (of which I am the latter), but this simply seems the most interesting of the likely general election match-ups. My personal opinion is that Utah will trend the most Democratic, although I would not assert that Trump would lose the state, whereas West Virginia will trend the most Republican. What are your thoughts?
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 01:51:40 AM »

Utah will be a really sharp D trend because of Trump, and WV will be an R trend because, to paraphrase another poster on Atlas, Trump was made for it.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 02:01:17 AM »

I'm not sure WV will trend the most Republican. I mean, it was already very strongly Republican in 2012, how much further can it go? Then again, I'm not sure which other state could go further to the right. Maybe Tennessee? Mississippi, due to inelasticity?

As for which state will trend the most Democratic, Utah is the obvious choice, since part of that will simply be regression to the mean.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 04:35:51 AM »

For the Democrats: Utah, and that's because of two things. 1) 2012 was so lopsided because Romney was a mormon and it would have trended to the Democrats this year. 2) Donald Trump is literally the worst Republican candidate for that state.

For the Republicans: West Virginia, and it's because Trump's message appeals to rural white people, and I think the only candidate that would maybe perform better than him (and that's a big maybe) is Cruz.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 05:41:23 AM »

Utah for the Democrats. It's going from having its favorite person ever as the Republican nominee to its least favorite person ever. Even if Trump wins it by 10 points, that's still a huge shift.

For the Republicans, I don't know, but I doubt it will be any of the ones listed.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 06:08:07 AM »

Utah will be a really sharp D trend because of Trump, and WV will be an R trend because, to paraphrase another poster on Atlas, Trump was made for it.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 07:29:33 AM »

I want to agree, but WV is a once-traditionally Democratic state that gave Romney a 27-point victory.  How much more R can it go?
Mallow
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 07:36:34 AM »

Utah for the Democrats. It's going from having its favorite person ever as the Republican nominee to its least favorite person ever. Even if Trump wins it by 10 points, that's still a huge shift.

For the Republicans, I don't know, but I doubt it will be any of the ones listed.

This. My suspicion for the biggest R shift for Trump is something like OK, LA, or AL, with even an outside chance of something like CO or PA.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 07:56:28 AM »

UT/TN
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 08:33:11 AM »

I'm not sure WV will trend the most Republican. I mean, it was already very strongly Republican in 2012, how much further can it go? Then again, I'm not sure which other state could go further to the right. Maybe Tennessee? Mississippi, due to inelasticity?

As for which state will trend the most Democratic, Utah is the obvious choice, since part of that will simply be regression to the mean.

The thing about Mississippi is that it's trending heavily D naturally, so it will be hard for Trump to counteract that. The only way it trends heavily R is if Trump loses in a HUGE landslide across the board due to moderates abandoning him (while conservatives mostly stay on board).
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2016, 08:34:20 AM »

This. My suspicion for the biggest R shift for Trump is something like OK, LA, or AL, with even an outside chance of something like CO or PA.

I have a terrible feeling that Clinton will do much better than Obama in the "fringe South" (KY, TN, AR) simply by virtue of having white skin.  And that this will offset Trump's strengths in the region.  I don't want to believe that's the driving force behind the hatred of Obama.  I want to believe people are better than that.
Mallow
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2016, 08:39:03 AM »

I have a terrible feeling that Clinton will do much better than Obama in the "fringe South" (KY, TN, AR) simply by virtue of having white skin.  And that this will offset Trump's strengths in the region.  I don't want to believe that's the driving force behind the hatred of Obama.  I want to believe people are better than that.

Agreed, which is why I didn't include the ones you mentioned (or WV, MO, or IN), states that have "trended" hard right since 2000. I assume some of this trend is, unfortunately, racism related.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2016, 02:31:45 PM »

Utah is a good choice for Dem trend--even in 2008-like election, both in Utah and nationwide, would have Utah as the strongest Dem trend (since Utah had the highest Repub trend in 2012).

It's hard to imagine West Virginia moving even further right, I would only see this is the country moves left and WV stays the same.

Don't know why Ark. is listed, yes a good fit for Trump, but Clinton may get a first lady bounce.

Agreed, which is why I didn't include the ones you mentioned (or WV, MO, or IN), states that have "trended" hard right since 2000. I assume some of this trend is, unfortunately, racism related.

Huh
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2016, 02:37:32 PM »

Utah (D) and other (R). I think it will be a wild card like Hawaii.
standwrand
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.55, S: -2.74

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2016, 02:41:51 PM »

CO will trend R whoever the nominee is because Obama won't be on the ticket. WV can't really trend any more R than it is, but I guess it might. NH, UT, AZ and NC will trend D
Mallow
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2016, 03:25:43 PM »

Utah is a good choice for Dem trend--even in 2008-like election, both in Utah and nationwide, would have Utah as the strongest Dem trend (since Utah had the highest Repub trend in 2012).

It's hard to imagine West Virginia moving even further right, I would only see this is the country moves left and WV stays the same.

Don't know why Ark. is listed, yes a good fit for Trump, but Clinton may get a first lady bounce.

Huh

Ya not sure how that happened. I think I must have meant LA.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2016, 05:16:37 PM »

Utah seems like the obvious choice for Democrats, but I'm not sure about any of these states in terms of trending Republican. Arkansas, Kentucky, and West Virginia have already shifted strongly towards Republicans. I don't think that Pennsylvania will shift towards Republicans in 2016.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies