Kansas Megathread: Kobach and Kelly and Orman, Oh My! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 11, 2024, 05:12:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Kansas Megathread: Kobach and Kelly and Orman, Oh My! (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Kansas Megathread: Kobach and Kelly and Orman, Oh My!  (Read 80579 times)
Pandaguineapig
United States

« on: February 20, 2018, 11:15:14 PM »

I'm honestly surprised Kobach jumped into this race rather than wait for Roberts likely retirement in 2020. I would figure his lust for attention and controversy would be better suited for the senate rather than as a small state governor. He also strikes me as a man with presidential aspirations/delusions and governor of Kansas isn't exactly going to be a good springboard for that.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 10:52:58 AM »

I f Kobach holds on (I'm hoping against hope that he doesn't) this race probably starts out tilt/lean R. In an R vs. D race it would be a tossup but with Orman on the ballot ballot he probably takes enough moderates and independents to allow Kobach to win. Kobach is polarizing but he probably count on about 45% of the vote
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 04:32:35 PM »

I really don't know why Kobach didn't wait until Roberts likely retirement in 2020, I would figure his attention-whoring ways would be better served in the senate than as a small-state governor.

Side Note: am I the only one here surprised to learn that both Colyer and Kobach are Oxford-educated?
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 06:06:46 PM »

I really don't understand why Kobach is refusing to refuse himself rn
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 02:55:18 PM »

At least there is not a Senate seat up this year.

Roberts retires in 2020. Kobach could take that Senate seat.

Or Colyer, if he loses finally?
I think Colyer is done if he loses this. 2020 Senate race will likely be a battle between Yoder (if he wins this year) and Marshall.
I think Watkins(Who likely wins in November) is ambitious enough to run after one term in the house, Laturner is also ambitious
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 10:47:00 PM »

What is Orman's deal anyway? Is there any evidence he sought a high-level position in exchange for dropping out and was rebuffed, or is he just a stupid, stubborn boob and refused to drop out despite it being painfully obvious very earlier on that he had no chance?

Some people really are terrible strategizers. This wasn't a cycle for him but he could have done something in the future if he didn't salt the earth this time around instead.
I think he was hoping to luck out like he did in 2014 and cut a deal with democrats to become their designated-facto candidate. As far as him staying in the race he may have been trying to play chicken and force Kelly to drop out to unify the opposition(like Alaska). At this point my guess is that Orman is hoping he takes enough votes to cost Kelly the election so that, under his thinking, democrats will give him a free lane to go at Kobach in 2022
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies