North Carolina 2020 Redistricting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 10:01:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  North Carolina 2020 Redistricting
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 66
Author Topic: North Carolina 2020 Redistricting  (Read 87166 times)
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1300 on: February 24, 2022, 04:27:49 PM »

Oftentimes getting partisan equality (which the NC map is spot in) is impossible without making it look ugly. For instance, this is the cleanest 'fair map' of WI I could do:
https://davesredistricting.org/maps#viewmap::58b328c0-461f-469e-b687-4e747f43d211
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1301 on: February 24, 2022, 04:30:08 PM »

Oftentimes getting partisan equality (which the NC map is spot in) is impossible without making it look ugly. For instance, this is the cleanest 'fair map' of WI I could do:
https://davesredistricting.org/maps#viewmap::58b328c0-461f-469e-b687-4e747f43d211
I think Wisconsin is a special case, in that a doctrinaire partisan equality approach runs headlong against the very bad geography for Democrats in the state.
It's more feasible elsewhere.
So 'oftentimes' is an overly strong word here.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #1302 on: February 24, 2022, 04:35:38 PM »

I think Wisconsin is a special case, in that a doctrinaire partisan equality approach runs headlong against the very bad geography for Democrats in the state.

KY and TN are hard.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1303 on: February 24, 2022, 04:39:34 PM »

KY and TN are hard.
That's just two other states.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1304 on: February 24, 2022, 05:14:25 PM »

A fair map of North Carolina would respect communities of interest.

This while not perfect, does a better job at that than any of the abominations the GOP drew over the last decade in NC.

No way. The original 2020s map was better.

Yes because pushing a Charlotte district AND a Greensboro district WELL out into rural areas made a ton of sense from a COI point of view.  This is a much more compact map than the initial map that was passed

1. Didn't say it made sense. Just said it was better.

2. Yeah. Compact and COI violating.

How was the initial map better from a COI standpoint?  Greensboro all the way out to where??   South Charlotte combined with what??
cvparty
United States

« Reply #1305 on: February 24, 2022, 06:14:51 PM »
« Edited: February 24, 2022, 06:21:45 PM by cvparty »

I don't think it's hard at all, here's a very clean map that split 7-7 in a state that was basically even in 2020, with only 13 county splits. It's also very competitive, with 5 districts (2R, 3D) being within single digits
patzer
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -3.48

« Reply #1306 on: February 24, 2022, 08:27:19 PM »

It occurs to me that if there's a mid-decade redistricting after 2022 (which seems feasible), whichever Democrat wins the new 14th district will most likely end up in a primary with Alma Adams when the Republicans condense Charlotte back down to one seat. Unless Adams retires in such a scenario to avoid a primary (possible given she's getting on a bit).

This year I expect there'll probably be quite the scramble for the 14th... Jeff Jackson is probably the strongest candidate if he wants to run.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1307 on: February 24, 2022, 08:29:20 PM »

It occurs to me that if there's a mid-decade redistricting after 2022 (which seems feasible), whichever Democrat wins the new 14th district will most likely end up in a primary with Alma Adams when the Republicans condense Charlotte back down to one seat. Unless Adams retires in such a scenario to avoid a primary (possible given she's getting on a bit).

This year I expect there'll probably be quite the scramble for the 14th... Jeff Jackson is probably the strongest candidate if he wants to run.

He appears to be interested:
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1308 on: February 24, 2022, 08:31:36 PM »

He appears to be interested:

Brad Miller 2.0?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1309 on: February 24, 2022, 08:53:57 PM »

That map is almost as awesome as Illinois' and New York's.
patzer
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -3.48

« Reply #1310 on: February 24, 2022, 09:17:09 PM »

Eh Illinois and New York were gerrymanders to maximize Democratic members, whereas this map is a compact fair map. Which you prefer depends on whether you value a pro-Democrat map or a fair map.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1311 on: February 24, 2022, 09:26:38 PM »

Eh Illinois and New York were gerrymanders to maximize Democratic members, whereas this map is a compact fair map. Which you prefer depends on whether you value a pro-Democrat map or a fair map.

A properly compact fair map of NC is probably a bit more like 7-5-2 or something though--slightly better for Republicans.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1312 on: February 24, 2022, 09:28:18 PM »

A properly compact fair map of NC is probably a bit more like 7-5-2 or something though--slightly better for Republicans.

6-3-5. with 1 more likely seat on each side regarding the Western seat and the Black Belt seat.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1313 on: February 24, 2022, 09:31:29 PM »

6-3-5. with 1 more likely seat on each side regarding the Western seat and the Black Belt seat.

Ehh, I usually lump likelies in with the safe ones--hard to imagine either one flipping bar special circumstances.

5 safe D seems pretty straightforward then, no? NE, Raleigh, Durham, Triad, Charlotte.

Edit: Unless you're putting Democratic seats at the end, lol.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1314 on: February 24, 2022, 09:34:13 PM »

Ehh, I usually lump likelies in with the safe ones--hard to imagine either one flipping bar special circumstances.

5 safe D seems pretty straightforward then, no? NE, Raleigh, Durham, Triad, Charlotte.

Edit: Unless you're putting Democratic seats at the end, lol.

Yeah I meant to say 6R-3T-5D. Black Belt is a D and Western seat is R. I agree with putting them with their respective parties.
BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.05, S: -1.13

P P
« Reply #1315 on: February 25, 2022, 05:38:23 PM »

I really hate Republicans:

Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1316 on: February 25, 2022, 06:38:36 PM »

I mean this is superfluous based simply on Federalism grounds, if nothing else. The same attempt failed in PA in 2018, and then again today for the Legislative lines.
Vespucci
United States

« Reply #1317 on: February 25, 2022, 07:07:12 PM »

If the GOP wins this case, does Ohio have to use its previously struck down map as well?
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -0.17

« Reply #1318 on: February 25, 2022, 10:28:45 PM »

This while not perfect, does a better job at that than any of the abominations the GOP drew over the last decade in NC.

Yes because pushing a Charlotte district AND a Greensboro district WELL out into rural areas made a ton of sense from a COI point of view.  This is a much more compact map than the initial map that was passed

How was the initial map better from a COI standpoint?  Greensboro all the way out to where??   South Charlotte combined with what??

Had a only in Wake district, put Durham and Chapel Hill with Cary, didn't split Charlotte in two, pretty easily better.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1319 on: February 25, 2022, 10:29:15 PM »

I mean this is superfluous based simply on Federalism grounds, if nothing else. The same attempt failed in PA in 2018, and then again today for the Legislative lines.

Not at all. The constitution specifically says legislatures draw maps, not courts.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1320 on: February 25, 2022, 10:30:37 PM »

Had a only in Wake district, put Durham and Chapel Hill with Cary, didn't split Charlotte in two, pretty easily better.

Isn't the new NC-02 entirely within Wake?
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1321 on: February 25, 2022, 10:55:07 PM »

This map also has a entirely Wake based seat, doesn't split Greensboro, increases NC-01 black functionality and also opportunity in NC-06, and doesn't put as many rurals with suburbs they have little connection too.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1322 on: February 25, 2022, 11:00:52 PM »

If the GOP wins this case, does Ohio have to use its previously struck down map as well?

Don't they also risk allowing Dem trifectas to draw CA, CO, and WA? I think this is extremely unlikely, but if SCOTUS overturns all non-legislative drawn maps, Dems in Cali should have no sympathy.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1323 on: February 25, 2022, 11:10:18 PM »

This map also has a entirely Wake based seat, doesn't split Greensboro, increases NC-01 black functionality and also opportunity in NC-06, and doesn't put as many rurals with suburbs they have little connection too.

I was thinking of the older maps re: Wake. I don't think race should be a deciding factor in determining maps. The new map splits Charlotte, splits Raleigh, draws Chapel Hill to rurals (which is way worse than any suburban-rural configuration, btw), and artificially gerrymanders to get Dems to 7 seats.
Libertas Vel Mors
Haley/Ryan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1324 on: February 25, 2022, 11:11:46 PM »

Don't they also risk allowing Dem trifectas to draw CA, CO, and WA? I think this is extremely unlikely, but if SCOTUS overturns all non-legislative drawn maps, Dems in Cali should have no sympathy.

No. A SC ruling like this would only overturn courts from drawing maps, not commissions, because commissions were ruled legislatures by Arizona.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 66  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies