Cannot make up my mind (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 06:38:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Cannot make up my mind (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cannot make up my mind  (Read 1620 times)
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: July 12, 2020, 11:46:02 AM »
« edited: July 12, 2020, 11:49:26 AM by GeneralMacArthur »

We've spent the last four years watching Trump stumble his way from disaster to disaster, unable to keep his administration together, destroying American institutions, politicizing every aspect of American government and daily life, and demonstrating his corruption, immorality and incompetence on a daily basis.

If, after watching all that, you're sitting here today unsure whether you're going to vote against him, you might as well stop kidding yourself and us.  You're going to find an excuse to vote for Trump again.  You just want to feel like it was a really tough decision when you do, as your way of reconciling your vote with the awful reality of his presidency.

I've got conservative relatives I talk to about politics who are all doing the exact same thing right now.  The "oh I just don't know" song and dance.  I'll point out yet another awful thing about Trump, and they'll say "yeah, I agree that's bad, I just don't know if I can vote for him again."  But the reality is, it's just their way of checking off the "I took that bad thing into consideration" box when they end up voting for him anyway.

How do I know?  Because I saw this with Hillary in 2016.  They'd "take into consideration" the bad things Trump had done, but then hand-wave them away with "yeah but whatabout Hillary."  This time there's no whatabout Hillary.  There really isn't any whatabout Biden either since he's essentially a perfect candidate.  But Fox News is trying its damndest to give Trump voters their excuse, their "whatabout this" that they can use to justify voting for Trump in spite of everything.  And even if they fail... we'll always have "whatabout the economy."
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2020, 02:00:09 PM »

I know how you feel. I voted for McMullin in 2016, and I intend to vote Independent again, but I've got to find the right independent candidate. Or else, if I can't find a really good independent candidate, I'll probably end up voting for Biden.

If you really care about getting rid of Trump, the only acceptable course of action is voting for Biden.

Everything else is just half-baked.  It's you explicitly going out of your way to not do everything in your power to remove Trump.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2020, 02:56:54 PM »

I know how you feel. I voted for McMullin in 2016, and I intend to vote Independent again, but I've got to find the right independent candidate. Or else, if I can't find a really good independent candidate, I'll probably end up voting for Biden.

If you really care about getting rid of Trump, the only acceptable course of action is voting for Biden.

Everything else is just half-baked.  It's you explicitly going out of your way to not do everything in your power to remove Trump.

I agree with this, but only to a point.  The winner is going to be either Trump or Biden, and for voters in any states that could go either way, that should be the overriding consideration in their vote.  But if their avatars represent where they actually live, MarkD is in Illinois and NotTyler in Virginia.  Both are safe Biden at this point, so if they vote for an independent who better fits their views, it will not have any effect on the outome.

No they shouldn't.  They should vote for Biden.

What is the point of voting for an independent?  To create a third candidate who gets a substantial number of votes?  What does that do?  Demonstrate discontent with Biden?  Take away from his mandate?

People say this every election and it's never true.  If you live in a swing state, you should vote for Biden.  Trump needs to be overwhelmingly rejected.  Biden needs an overwhelming victory to give him a huge mandate to dismantle Trumpism.  If it's purely symbolic either way, it should be symbolic in that way.  If getting rid of Trump is your top priority, that is.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2020, 05:44:52 PM »

I’ll make it easy for you. You should vote for Joe Biden. You don’t want to tell your grandparents that you didn’t do your part to oust the most corrupt, incompetent and despicable human being to ever inhabit the White House. Trust me on this one, history is gonna be BRUTAL to Trump and his enablers. It’s gonna be really really ugly.

*grandkids, presumably.

OP hasn't been responding in this thread, but I would like to see him list out the pros and cons of each candidate.  And do an honest job, if one candidate has a lot more pros or cons then list them all.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies