Quebec Provincial election October 1, 2018
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 03:40:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Quebec Provincial election October 1, 2018
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18
Author Topic: Quebec Provincial election October 1, 2018  (Read 44729 times)
warandwar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: October 01, 2018, 12:54:09 AM »

Rumor of breaking news: NAFTA renegotiation finalized, dairy barriers to be lowered.

Political fallout?Huh

Probably hurts the Lib's, since they are the incumbent government who 'allowed this to happen,' despite having little to no influence over negotiations. Lisée for example earlier today argued that the PLQ oversaw another sacrifice of Quebec for the good of Ontario.
I wonder if there's any organized political movement in Quebec that has made this it's defining issue..
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #301 on: October 01, 2018, 01:29:30 PM »

Wish I could give a dispatch on the ground, but I'm volunteering with David Birnbaum, who will win 80%+ of the vote (most PLQ riding in the whole province). The mood here is a restrained optimism about the overall result, which is interesting...
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #302 on: October 01, 2018, 02:15:14 PM »

Wish I could give a dispatch on the ground, but I'm volunteering with David Birnbaum, who will win 80%+ of the vote (most PLQ riding in the whole province). The mood here is a restrained optimism about the overall result, which is interesting...

Interesting since the libs really are locked out of govt formation this time around, its really just a contest of CAQ minority or majority. But Montreal is a PLQ bubble, so what your seeing probably doesn't match the rest of the province.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #303 on: October 01, 2018, 02:36:30 PM »

D'Arcy-McGee also being a bubble within the Montreal bubble.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #304 on: October 01, 2018, 05:31:59 PM »

Hence what I mean by not having a good read on the ground. I live in a QS stronghold (Sainte-Marie Saint-Jacques) and spent my day in the place where it's weird and crazy rare not to be PLQ. Will be at the PLQ party, which is held at New City Gas, a huge venue/club in Griffintown.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #305 on: October 01, 2018, 05:38:50 PM »

A few conscriptions I will be watching closely tonight:

Rosemont: Located in the middle of Montreal, this riding is a QS-PQ tossup. PQ leader Jean-Francois Lisee is the incumbent; his loss would spell certain doom for the PQ. Honestly, this riding will tell us about how much leftist QS has surged in Montreal and how PQ has tanked.

Pointe-Aux-Trembles & Bourget: Can CAQ break through on the Island of Montreal? East end has always been one of their stronger places in MTL-heavily Francophone, working-middle class, suburban. Used to be the most nationalist area in town too. These will both be close, unless the floor totally falls out on the PQ.

Sherbrooke: Did somebody say... FOUR-WAY TOSSUP??? Sherbrooke is a small city downtown riding in Estrie with a large university population. This is Jean Charest's old riding, and it's demographically a mix. A good bellwether for who is surging tonight. Lots of students, some Anglophones, a decent professional community.

Jean-Lesage: Downtown Quebec City. One of a few real 3-way races in the province. Currently held by the PLQ, QS saw an opportunity here nominating former Option Nationale (newly merged into QS) leader Sol Zanetti. Can the PLQ hang onto more than one seat in Quebec City? Will QS be able to win Taschereau and Jean-Lesage? Will CAQ pick up this urban riding?

Jonquière: This industrial part of Saguenay used to be a hub for nationalism. 71% voted to separate in 1995. Nowadays, with an economy transitioning to tech/energy industry, separation has faded as an issue and people are more concerned with growing business. This is a PQ/CAQ tossup to keep an eye on. It's similar to a number of other ridings up north.

Orford: Rural riding straddling the American border. PLQ has historically done well here, but the Anglo population continues to decline and this region is where CAQ support has grown. Older population, an economy based on tourism and ag, never really nationalist. Gonna be similar to a few of the other US border ridings. Maybe the supply management issue will have an impact here.

Rouyn-Noranda-Témiscamingue: Rural mining area that historically fluctuated between PQ and PLQ. Strangely looks like it could be in play for PQ, CAQ, and QS. QS membership numbers tripled here in the last few weeks, and their exciting young candidate could gain traction. This might be QS' only good performance in a rural riding. Will show the decline of the PLQ in many rural Franco areas too.

Rivière-du-Loup-Témiscouata & Côte-du-Sud: Two manufacturing and ag-based ridings who have faced workforce shortages. Immigration is a weird, nuanced topic in these areas. CAQ and PLQ will throw down here and the results will be telling of what the final result will be. If CAQ is cruising to a majority, I expect them to win both of these. If a minority, it will be close.

The kinda wild card is whether NAFTA talks will impact the vote. Saw a report earlier on CTV that 18% of eligible voters turned out early, and they interviewed a few people in one of the US border ridings with a high dairy concentration and most people didn't care. Obviously anecdotal.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #306 on: October 01, 2018, 05:51:36 PM »

Hence what I mean by not having a good read on the ground. I live in a QS stronghold (Sainte-Marie Saint-Jacques) and spent my day in the place where it's weird and crazy rare not to be PLQ. Will be at the PLQ party, which is held at New City Gas, a huge venue/club in Griffintown.

Why did you volunteer in a safe seat when there are contested ones nearby?
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #307 on: October 01, 2018, 05:56:23 PM »

Great list! I would add Huntingdon to this count of seats to watch (another southern Border seat). I also think that a CAQ majority probably has to go through at least one of Labelle/Joliette - two seats the PQ have really tried to save this campaign.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #308 on: October 01, 2018, 05:59:02 PM »

CBC results here. https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/qcvotes/results/
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #309 on: October 01, 2018, 06:10:42 PM »

Any link to live stream ?  I assume results comes in around 8pm EST ?
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #310 on: October 01, 2018, 06:14:09 PM »

Why did you volunteer in a safe seat when there are contested ones nearby?

I personally know David Birnbaum and was asked to help out! Thing is, Laurier-Dorion and maybe maybe Maurice Richard aside there aren’t too many ridings on the island where the PLQ is in a competitive race. And I didn’t feel like going out to Laval.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #311 on: October 01, 2018, 06:33:12 PM »

Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #312 on: October 01, 2018, 06:43:17 PM »
« Edited: October 01, 2018, 06:53:58 PM by Oryxslayer »

My prediction from this morning was tossup/tied pop vote, CAQ majority of 65-70. Probably going to update that pop vote prediction to CAQ lead of 1-2.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #313 on: October 01, 2018, 06:50:21 PM »

My rough prediction, numbers rounded to '0'

CAQ: 60
Liberals: 40
P.Q: 10
QS: 10

(I know there are 125 ridings)
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #314 on: October 01, 2018, 07:04:42 PM »

Results have started to come in.  LET"S GET READY TO RUUUUUMBLE! (I love Michael Buffer)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #315 on: October 01, 2018, 07:08:14 PM »

CAQ leading bigly so far.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #316 on: October 01, 2018, 07:11:58 PM »

CTV has declared a CAQ victory. Nothing on minority or majority government.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #317 on: October 01, 2018, 07:14:28 PM »

Results so far:

CAQ 34 seats - 39% vote
PLQ  14 - 29.3%
PQ - 5 - 17.6%
QS - 3 - 11%
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #318 on: October 01, 2018, 07:15:01 PM »

CAQ doing surprisingly well on Laval.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #319 on: October 01, 2018, 07:16:12 PM »

Is it a surprise to see the CAQ doing welll in Argenteuil , or the rural parts of  the Gatineau region?
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #320 on: October 01, 2018, 07:19:59 PM »

Already projected CAQ govt.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #321 on: October 01, 2018, 07:23:03 PM »

Looks at map. Looks at 2014 map. Oh my.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #322 on: October 01, 2018, 07:23:55 PM »

CAQ on the board on the Island of Montreal. Lisee trailing.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #323 on: October 01, 2018, 07:25:31 PM »

Is it still the case that the heavy federalist vote comes in later on? (As per the 1995 referendum.)
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #324 on: October 01, 2018, 07:29:14 PM »

I wonder what's going on in Montmorency? The non-affiliated Jean-François Simard is leading the CAQ Jean-François Simard!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies