Worst-run Presidential Campaign (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 06:05:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Worst-run Presidential Campaign (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What is the most incompetently run Presidential campaign in the television era?
Kerry 2004

Gore 2000

Bush 92

Dukakis 88

Carter 80

Goldwater 64

Nixon 60

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 114

Author Topic: Worst-run Presidential Campaign  (Read 14072 times)
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« on: August 25, 2005, 09:34:39 PM »

Other Walter "I will raise your taxes" Mondale

Yeah, that might be the stupidest thing a candidate can say, though I greatly applaud him coming out and saying he would do it, compared with most other candidates who say they will lower them, and end up raising them.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2005, 08:27:24 AM »

I'd have to say Gore 2000 was the worst. Had he won his home state of Tennesee he would have won. Whoever's idea it was to go after Florida should never work in politics again. I mean yeah Clinton won it in 96, but he won it, IIRC, by a pretty slim margin. Gore's campaign would have done much better had they concentrated on Tennessee, Arkansas, West Virginia, and Nevada, all states Gore should have won (esp. TN) although he might have lost the popular vote had he not campaigned so much in Florida, which he should have known to avoid based on its long history of electoral fraud if nothing else.

I strongly disagree with that. Gore came as close as you can get to winning Florida without winning it, but you can't ignore a 25 EV state. You can't avoid it because there has been fraud there, it's simply too big. Gore had a great GOTV campaign, he was down in the polls going into election day, yet he won a convincing win in Pennsylvania, and came a hell of a lot closer to a lot of states than John Kerry did. So don't blame Donna Brazile for Gore's loss, if Kerry hired her, he might've won, she's certainly better than his team was.

It was a lot easier for Gore to win Florida than it was for him to win AR, TN, and WV, and if he had courted those states more, the Nader factor may have increased, and cost him states such as Oregon.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005, 07:58:36 PM »

I'd have to say Gore 2000 was the worst. Had he won his home state of Tennesee he would have won. Whoever's idea it was to go after Florida should never work in politics again. I mean yeah Clinton won it in 96, but he won it, IIRC, by a pretty slim margin. Gore's campaign would have done much better had they concentrated on Tennessee, Arkansas, West Virginia, and Nevada, all states Gore should have won (esp. TN) although he might have lost the popular vote had he not campaigned so much in Florida, which he should have known to avoid based on its long history of electoral fraud if nothing else.

I strongly disagree with that. Gore came as close as you can get to winning Florida without winning it, but you can't ignore a 25 EV state. You can't avoid it because there has been fraud there, it's simply too big. Gore had a great GOTV campaign, he was down in the polls going into election day, yet he won a convincing win in Pennsylvania, and came a hell of a lot closer to a lot of states than John Kerry did. So don't blame Donna Brazile for Gore's loss, if Kerry hired her, he might've won, she's certainly better than his team was.

It was a lot easier for Gore to win Florida than it was for him to win AR, TN, and WV, and if he had courted those states more, the Nader factor may have increased, and cost him states such as Oregon.

Thank you for this Akno, I was hoping someone a little more eloquently then me would say that Gore's campaign was badly run, because it wasn't. 

I might agree with dazzleman to a point that Gore might not have been a good candidate (although I will disagree with him on that, point) , but the running of his campaign was really good.  I think there was a number of factors that made that election a lot closer than it should have been.

I also agree with the assessment if the campaign had taken more time in WV, AR, NV or even TN (although from what I heard from people in TN, his campaign was in evidence and rather strong there) that he might have more closer calls and not even in Oregon, but probably Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, New Mexico and Washington due to Nader.  And Florida was a state that was very important to the electoral outcome that year, as was evident by the eventual outcome.

Yes, by the way, my second choice for worse run campaign after Mondale '84, would have to be Kerry's in 2004.  Mainly because of things said today on www.alternativeradio.org by author Thomas Frank the writer of "What's the matter with Kansas?"  Frank more or less said Kerry went to far in appeasing new Democratic businessman (the silicon valley type) and didn't go after and appease the middle class/poorer Democrats such as would be found in Florida and Ohio, also Iowa and New Mexico -- as he and John Edwards went after in the primaries -- and of course look what happened to Kerry.  Thomas Frank is correct, there was no reason for that with the Kerry campaign. 

I agree with that, although Kerry's biggest problem was simply everything that happened from the terrible Dem Convention up until the 1st debate. The convention was just horrible, bringing back memories of the Vietnam War is not the way to get a bounce, and then he let the Swifties run around slandering his record all throughout August. After the "Say 9/11 as often as possible (GOP)" convention, he was simply in too big a hole, and even his superb debate performance and acceptable finish put him in a position where he couldn't win.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies