Special Election megathread (4/30: NY-26)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 03:32:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Special Election megathread (4/30: NY-26)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 113
Author Topic: Special Election megathread (4/30: NY-26)  (Read 138842 times)
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #475 on: July 02, 2021, 10:20:12 PM »

How long after Turner wins does she give a speech suggesting we impeach Joe Biden for eco-terrorism because he didn't pass the Green New Deal by executive order?

Or maybe that's a bit hyperbolic, perhaps she just goes on Joe Rogan's podcast and trashes Biden/Kamala for 35 solid minutes, then pretends she has no idea why right-wing think tanks and GOP strategists are tweeting it all over the place and using it in ads.

The Biden Boys in this thread are off their rockers.

Hey, whatever you do, don't look at me, y'all, I said my piece on & made my peace with Congressman Turner months ago, the latter aspect of which is presumably something that - let alone presumably more than - I presume the likes of GMac will ever be able to do. I'm just in the business of trying to make halfhearted-but-still-somehow-witty quips at this point.

While you were a Biden primary supporter, you did so with intelligence and logic to defend your stance, which is more than can be said for some of the folks on this site who are primarily motivated by extreme irrational hatred for anything connected to the Bernie universe.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #476 on: July 03, 2021, 02:19:23 AM »

The main question I have is why Fudge even wanted to be Secretary of Housing and Urban Development in the first place.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #477 on: July 03, 2021, 07:20:06 AM »

The main question I have is why Fudge even wanted to be Secretary of Housing and Urban Development in the first place.

She didn’t. She wanted Agriculture and she spoke publicly about how she thinks black Cabinet members are often shunted to HUD.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #478 on: July 03, 2021, 08:37:53 PM »

She didn’t. She wanted Agriculture and she spoke publicly about how she thinks black Cabinet members are often shunted to HUD.

Then why did she say yes? To my knowledge the president has no ability to force HUD upon an unwilling candidate.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #479 on: July 03, 2021, 10:40:07 PM »

Then why did she say yes? To my knowledge the president has no ability to force HUD upon an unwilling candidate.

Something something "when the President asks you to serve," something something "everything else is crap."
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #480 on: July 03, 2021, 10:45:24 PM »
« Edited: July 03, 2021, 10:48:45 PM by 306 »

To be fair, it would quite odd for a Congresswoman from a clearly entirely urban district to become Secretary of Agriculture. I suppose the Democrats are rather lacking in districts that include substantial amounts of farmland these days, but if there was going to be a black Congressperson who became Secretary of Agriculture, surely it would be someone like Bennie Thompson or Terri Sewell who actually represents a lot of farmers (though I don't think either of them in particular has focused much on agricultural issues).
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #481 on: July 03, 2021, 10:59:42 PM »

To be fair, it would quite odd for a Congresswoman from a clearly entirely urban district to become Secretary of Agriculture. I suppose the Democrats are rather lacking in districts that include substantial amounts of farmland these days, but if there was going to be a black Congressperson who became Secretary of Agriculture, surely it would be someone like Bennie Thompson or Terri Sewell who actually represents a lot of farmers (though I don't think either of them in particular has focused much on agricultural issues).

Perhaps it would've been odd at first glance, but I think that would've just been an unfortunate casualty of the quasi-misnomer of the title that is "Secretary of Agriculture" moreso than anything else, given that "Agriculture" invokes rural farming, even though 80% of the Department's focus is nutrition assistance (e.g., SNAP) & she was literally the Chair of the Agriculture Subcommittee on Nutrition, Oversight, & Department Operations when she was still back in the House.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #482 on: July 04, 2021, 01:40:47 AM »

That's what Shirley Chisholm thought at first.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #483 on: July 04, 2021, 08:55:00 AM »

Nina Turner has received the endorsement of the Cleveland Plain Dealer this fine Fourth of July morning.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #484 on: July 04, 2021, 03:33:25 PM »

She seems to have backed off of Medicare For All and made it a state issue

https://www.cleveland.com/opinion/2021/07/nina-turner-in-the-democratic-primary-for-the-11th-congressional-district.html

As she recently suggested to cleveland.com reporter Seth R. Richardson, while she supports Medicare for All, that idea might best grow outward from the states rather than being imposed from Washington.

And the paper also praised her for standing up to a union (isn't she supposed to be pro-union?)

The same Nina Turner who stood up to the Cleveland Teachers Union and delivered state legislative votes across the aisle for Mayor Frank Jackson when he was fighting for his all-important Cleveland Plan for reforming the Cleveland public schools
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #485 on: July 04, 2021, 05:45:03 PM »

She seems to have backed off of Medicare For All and made it a state issue

https://www.cleveland.com/opinion/2021/07/nina-turner-in-the-democratic-primary-for-the-11th-congressional-district.html

As she recently suggested to cleveland.com reporter Seth R. Richardson, while she supports Medicare for All, that idea might best grow outward from the states rather than being imposed from Washington.

And the paper also praised her for standing up to a union (isn't she supposed to be pro-union?)

The same Nina Turner who stood up to the Cleveland Teachers Union and delivered state legislative votes across the aisle for Mayor Frank Jackson when he was fighting for his all-important Cleveland Plan for reforming the Cleveland public schools

Being against Teachers Unions can be seen as a good thing in some progressive circles in regards to education reforms.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #486 on: July 04, 2021, 05:56:03 PM »

The Chair and Vice Chair of the House Agricultural Committee, FWIW, are David Scott and Alma Adams, respectively. Both are black members who represent urban districts.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #487 on: July 04, 2021, 06:20:44 PM »

Can we get a poll pls, like hellaurrrr...
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #488 on: July 04, 2021, 06:44:39 PM »

Nina Turner has received the endorsement of the Cleveland Plain Dealer this fine Fourth of July morning.
Huh
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #489 on: July 04, 2021, 11:39:09 PM »

Huh
It's the newspaper.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #490 on: July 05, 2021, 02:11:29 AM »

And perhaps this will be the election where people figure out - hopefully - that Clyburn isn't some kingmaker in Democratic primaries, and that his endorsement is a lagging indicator rather than a leading one: that he almost always endorses the candidate who has the best chance of winning (and the rest of the time, as is likely the case here, endorses a candidate out of sheer pettiness).

You forgot one key detail, Griff. Not voting blue is fine if the "blue" is on the left.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #491 on: July 05, 2021, 08:58:16 AM »

I'm not convinced newspaper editorial board endorsements mean much these days.
BuckeyeNut

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -7.30

« Reply #492 on: July 05, 2021, 11:29:25 AM »

Generally, I agree. But the subset of the population that cares about such things is usually the sort that leans toward the establishment, so if it brings some of them off the fence, it’s good for Turner.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #493 on: July 05, 2021, 01:24:54 PM »

Means more than the endorsement of some Congressman from another state, and we spent a couple pages of this thread talking about that
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #494 on: July 05, 2021, 01:44:39 PM »

Means more than the endorsement of some Congressman from another state, and we spent a couple pages of this thread talking about that

Frankly, I think they matter equally much, which is not at all.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #495 on: July 06, 2021, 09:29:22 AM »
« Edited: July 06, 2021, 09:54:55 AM by VAR »

If Republicans were smart, they would rally behind Kunze in order to, via redistricting, draw her into a competitive/fair suburban Columbus seat — one that she could hold through the decade. Her views on abortion/guns (which I disagree with) are honestly quite irrelevant.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #496 on: July 06, 2021, 01:35:25 PM »

If Republicans were smart, they would rally behind Kunze in order to, via redistricting, draw her into a competitive/fair suburban Columbus seat — one that she could hold through the decade. Her views on abortion/guns (which I disagree with) are honestly quite irrelevant.

Neither Trump nor Stivers are backing her
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #497 on: July 06, 2021, 02:21:25 PM »

Neither Trump nor Stivers are backing her

Yes, I’m aware.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #498 on: July 07, 2021, 12:17:41 AM »

Other Republicans, probably the majority of the party see no point in having her in office. If we're going to get a Democrat anyway, why not a real one? I'll take my gamble on someone else, thanks.
Stuart98
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -5.83

« Reply #499 on: July 07, 2021, 11:58:05 PM »

Interesting race. It's basically become national establishment vs progressives and local establishment. Turner's still got significantly more local support. I'm feeling high single digit to low double digit margin for Turner right now
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 113  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies