Accepting my accolades (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 12:17:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Accepting my accolades (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Accepting my accolades  (Read 3222 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: December 13, 2016, 04:03:44 AM »

As you may or may not know, I left this forum back on June 3rd, due to the utter leftist garbage being spewed. Living in suburban Ohio, I saw the electorate looked much better for Donald Trump. I tried to warn my fellow liberal posters only to be insulted, deemed a bigot, an idiot. I couldn’t take it. I decided to sit back and wait for Trump to win the election.

Now, a brief trip down memory lane:

I've been playing with the demographic calculator on 538, and even if Trump loses Romney's Hispanic numbers and the turnout is increased overall, he keeps it extremely competitive in the electoral college due to the turnout of non-college whites. In fact, if we can surmise that Trump will do better with black voters than Romney did (you can only go up from there), even if by a small percent, Trump's electoral votes gain drastically.

In fact, many of my calculations show a plausible scenario where Trump loses the popular vote by 1%, but wins a comfortable electoral college victory.

To be honest? Unlike the last two elections where my gut expected Obama to win (and I predicted that both times) my gut this time actually says that Trump will win the election. I just can't see the anti-establishment Trump/Sanders angry political mood culminating in a win for Hillary Clinton. It doesn't make sense. It would be like McCain winning solidly in 2008. I could try and spin it all I want, but in the end, we knew Obama had it from the get-go. My gut tells me this is going to be a good year for Donald Trump.

We need to jackhammer away with males. She's doing so horribly and male voters are the least likely to sway back and forth. If we can get too many whites to vote against her, all she will have is the McGovern rainbow coalition.

I think you guys are way off on this. I'm not talking about the Republican electorate, I'm talking about the entire electorate.

Just a few recent polls:

Federal bank bailout, good or bad?

Bad: 55%
Good: 23%
Unsure: 22%

Government and big business working for or against Americans?

Against: 68%
For: 13%

Should Government programs be enforced to help income inequality?

No: 58%
Yes: 31%

Should there be a shutdown of Muslim immigration?

Yes: 45%
No: 41%

PA/OH/FL

Best to handle the economy?
TRUMP

Best to handle terrorism?
TRUMP

Who is more honest and trustworthy?
TRUMP

How the hell is that only the GOP mood? Those aren't "Republicans only" polls.

I heard a Hillary supporter in another thread mention that the "current environment" favors Hillary Clinton and I was kind of taken back by it. I think the whole Trump/Sanders anti-establishment anti-politician backlash against political correctness benefits Trump much more than Hillary. Maybe I'm wrong. I just can't see all the turnout, the record breaking crowds, the enthusiasm, the anti-Washington attitude in both parties culminating with "Textbook politician Hillary Clinton elected. Time's Person of the Year: Hillary Clinton. Headline of the Year: Hillary Clinton."

Am I wrong here? It just doesn't feel right.

I know a handful of Obama 2012 Trump 2016 voters personally. Of course, it's just a handful of people in Ohio. I actually get the impression he's really well liked up here compared to places like Colorado or Virginia.

Trump seems to do well in the blue collar states (Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan) whereas I think more upscale whites in Virginia and Colorado will be a problem for him. Florida I have no clue.

Who do you think you'll find more of in Ohio or Indiana or Missouri or Florida? A person saying what Trump said, or quoting Maya Angelou poems? The disconnect in this country is astounding, regardless of which side you are on.

I have trouble believing that in this Trump/Sanders/High GOP turnout/anti-establishment election year, the end result will be "Hillary Clinton, the epitome of establishment...in a landslide".

Once again, you all missed it. You missed the point. I was always respectful in my opinions and analysis, which was proven right on Election Day, only to be torn apart. That blindness in the obvious led to the liberal defeat. I must accept accolades.

Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 06:14:06 AM »
« Edited: December 15, 2016, 06:16:04 AM by Reaganfan »

Congrats, Naso.

I have to say, I screwed up. My gut was saying "Trump's going to pull this off," and my head was saying that it was all sewn up for Clinton after the first debate. I listened to my head and not my gut. This was clearly a huge mistake, and I will try to adjust to our new Trump reality by ignoring my head and trusting my gut in the future.

Right from the get-go, this election felt like it was 100% all about Trump. How many elections have we had that were all about one candidate that saw that candidate end up losing?

To refresh memories, I was not a Trump supporter. I wanted Marco Rubio. When Rubio had no chance in the Ohio Primary, I voted for my Governor John Kasich. But once Trump was the GOP nominee, I backed him as our party's nominee. Everyone around me voted for him, or at the very least refused to vote for Hillary Clinton. I live in suburban northeast Ohio so I understood how terrible that was for Hillary Clinton.

The first thought that I had in my mind that Trump was going to be President was after the Paris Terrorist Attacks. I was at work looking up at the news and thought "This is going to make Trump President". I tried explaining how many women, yes white women, were totally opposed to the "multicultural diversity" agenda, only to be mocked. For example:

Went to dinner for my birthday two nights ago with my mother and her husband. Both of them voted Obama in 2008 and 2012. I joke with her I think she is the perfect barometer of who will win the election. She is a female swing voter in the Ohio suburbs. I asked her Hillary vs. Trump. There was a long pause. Trump.

It made my night a little better haha

How many of these fake stories have you come up with over the years? I think I've lost count.

Terrible. But lucky for me, I can hold my head high. Hillary Clinton will never be the President of the United States. The "glass ceiling" is as solid as ever, until a conservative woman comes along to shatter it in the future.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies