What musical genres is it impossible to dislike without being a bigot? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 03:58:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What musical genres is it impossible to dislike without being a bigot? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What musical genres is it impossible to dislike without being a bigot?  (Read 861 times)
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« on: March 09, 2021, 07:21:39 PM »

Just accept your racism OP.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2021, 05:44:25 AM »
« Edited: March 10, 2021, 05:51:36 AM by Alben Barkley »

Wait so you hate all rap? How much have you listened to? I'm wondering if you've just listened to modern trap and guest verses in pop songs and found the vibe/lyrical content abrasive or bland. If the more "problematic" lyrics bother you, there's definitely a host of more "conscious" rap. And if the instrumentals bore you or just aren't the right tone, there's rap that's instrumentally more soulful, or experimental, or gritty, or whatever.

The problem with writing off "genres" is that most of them are so wide-ranging. But especially rap. It's really weird to say the Fugees, Lil Pump, and Death Grips are all the "same genre." Could you imagine if we grouped all music with singing as "sung music" and someone was like "ewww I don't want to listen to Marvin Gaye, I don't like sung music" because they didn't like a Green Day song.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I listen to music primarily for melody. Everything else is secondary. Non-melodic music-- rap, screamo, death metal, etc-- is quite frankly unpleasant to the ear. The rap songs that I have appreciated (which are few) feature interludes of piano, guitar, and other real instruments that manage to break up the monotony of the rest of the piece. However, these segments are typically dragged down by the rest of the song's tiresome runtime.

I enjoy lyrical wordsmithing, but good lyrics cannot salvage a bad melody. Bob Dylan might be considered more of a "poet" than a songwriter, but he backs up his lyrics with memorable, innovative melodies and chord structures. And of course, I have an intense dislike for "music" that doesn't incorporate instruments. I don't consider EDM "music" in the proper sense of the word for this reason. I don't know what people get out of these genres, but I refuse to believe that whatever they experience while listening to that garbage is anywhere close to what one feels while listening to Strauss' Blue Danube, Bach's Brandenburg Concerto #4, Led Zeppelin, Johnny Cash, or any other truly great pieces of music.

Kanye unironically does a great job of incorporating melody into his rap. Especially on his earlier albums.

Also all the stuff you mention is good but I think you are comparing apples and oranges here. Different kinds of music can and should serve different purposes and bring about different feelings. With rap, the rhythm and beat (as well as lyrics) often (not always) are more important than the melody, but once you adjust to that and don’t expect it to be something it’s not, you should be able to appreciate it more. Or maybe not, but I still don’t think it’s remotely comparable to death metal (which seems to be just sheer noise without much of any of those qualities).

And a lot of classical snobs would turn their noses down at you for thinking any modern popular music is comparable to Bach in any respect, by the way. It’s all pretty subjective.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies